Persistent fret buzz

Joe Strummer

Reaction score
I have an instrument that has some buzz on the 3rd fret of the second string. It only happens with finger picking. It does not happen if I concentrate on reducing the force and plucking perfectly parallel to the fingerboard. This does not happen on any of my other instruments, some of which have a lower action.

I had the best local luthier work on it twice. He leveled the frets and raised the action at the saddle from 2mm to 2.5. Would it be worth trying to raise the action at the nut for this one string? Any other recommendations?

It's not clear to me if you're fretting the string when the buzz occurs. If you're fretting, then the nut is irrelevant, and vice versa.

A few things to try:

1. Put the edge of a credit card or other plastic card on each set of three frets (moving up one fret at a time) and see if you can rock the credit card due to uneven frets. Do this on both the bass and treble sides of the neck.
Watch the ukulele from the side of the neck to see which fret the string touches when buzzing, and test that fret and and its neighbors four times, once next to each string.

2. Put the headstock of the ukulele towards your eye and look down the side of the neck (do each side of the neck). It should be slighly concave (called “relief”), but have no irregularities like bumps or wavey spots.

3. Put new strings on. A string that hasn’t stretched evenly or has some manufacturing flaw making it not quite the same along its length can produce all sorts of weirdness. So if your problem is specific to one string, replacing the string is probably worth a try.

4. Tune the ukulele down 1-2 full steps to reduce string tension and make it easier to fret. Raising the action can be good when multiple frets are buzzing, but when it’s just one fret then low action probably isn’t the problem. And having the action too high can make it harder to fret properly, which may show up as buzzes at spots where your neck/frets were slightly quirky and proper fretting was particularly necessary. So if the buzz goes away when you lower the string tension, consider *lowering* the action, perhaps especially at the nut end.

5. Try using a capo, moving it up one fret at a time and playing the open strings, and see if you get the buzz in the same place you would while fretting. (If it does, your fretting technique is definitely not the problem.) For this test to be valid, your capo should not be adding new buzzes at places where you don’t normally get them - if it does, try adjusting capo placement or pressure. (If you are using a guitar capo, lower the capo pressure before you start, a nylon-string ukulele doesn’t need nearly as much pressure.)

6. Then put the capo on the first fret, and try fretting the problem spot with your fingers. If you can fret without a buzz while the capo is at the first fret, high action at the nut end may be making it hard for you to fret properly when the capo is off, and that may show up as increased risk of buzz anywhere your neck/frets have slight quirks that make proper fretting particularly important.
(If you do not have a capo, test by fretting with two fingers on the same string - one for the fret before the one you want to play, and one for the fret you want to play.)

7. Try fretting at the problem spot with a different finger than you would normally use, and see if the buzz goes away or changes. Press hard with your middle or index finger, press lightly with your pinky finger, try all sorts of combinations and observe if the buzz changes in response. Also try varying how close your finger is to the fret - usually it’s best to have your finger close to the fret, but occasionally if you’re fighting high action fretting *slightly* further back from the fret may be a little easier.

8. Try playing a different ukulele of the same size. If the buzz follows you across instruments, pay very close attention to your technique and what you’re doing when the buzz happens. Or have someone else try playing your ukulele and see if they get the same buzz at the same spot.

(This list is mostly a combination of advice I received from a few sources (a luthier and a family member who teaches guitar) when I was having buzz issues. I make no claims to being an expert on this subject, I’m just passing along what people I trust told me.)

Note: Most of this list assumes the buzz happens while you are fretting. If the buzz happens even while playing an open string, focus on steps 1-3.

Last edited:
The buzz does happen when I’m fretting at the 3rd fret on the second string, to be clear. I’ll give those tips in the previous post a try.

Just thinking outside the box: there could be something funky going on with the bridge end of the string. When you can reproduce the buzz, try putting a finger on the string past the saddle and see if it stops.

I agree with above: if it happens when you're fretting, it's nothing to do with the nut.

You could artificially raise the action by lifting the string and slipping a piece of thick paper under the string at the saddle. See if raising it up any more makes a difference or not.

There are lots of "non-destructive" ways you can play with things like action and intonation. Figure out what works. If raising the action on that string works, THEN you can decide if you want to pay a luthier for a proper fix, or DIY.

I checked the fretboard relief by holding down the string at the first and last frets. I can’t see any gap between the string and the middle frets. So, maybe the problem is that the fretboard is completely flat.

It is a soprano, so I’m guessing the short scale length makes the relief subtle.

I checked the fretboard relief by holding down the string at the first and last frets. I can’t see any gap between the string and the middle frets. So, maybe the problem is that the fretboard is completely flat.

It is a soprano, so I’m guessing the short scale length makes the relief subtle.

Seems like if relief was the problem you’d have buzzes at more than one place, not limited to just one string and one fret.

Have you had a chance to try the credit card test yet? Even if you’ve already had the frets leveled, it never hurts to double check.

Last edited:
I tried the credit card test and didn’t see any obvious problem with fret height.

The buzz does happen when I’m fretting at the 3rd fret on the second string, to be clear. I’ll give those tips in the previous post a try.
Hey Joe,
So, if the buzz disappears when you play at the 4th fret, the 4th fret has a high spot that rubs the string when you play at the 3rd fret.

I tested with a capo, and the fret buzz was still there. I noticed it is also happening on the first and second fret, but it is so subtle you don’t really notice it. I used a fret rocker to double check that the frets are level and focused on the 4th. It sits perfectly flat.

I guess this is just going to be my temperamental instrument.

I tested with a capo, and the fret buzz was still there. I noticed it is also happening on the first and second fret, but it is so subtle you don’t really notice it. I used a fret rocker to double check that the frets are level and focused on the 4th. It sits perfectly flat.

Hmm...

Has the buzz ever persisted after changing your strings? A "bad" string can do weird things (like be the only one of four strings that's out of tune at the 12th fret relative to the harmonic), so the buzz only happening on one string might point to something wrong with that string.

But beyond that I'm out of ideas!

Last edited:
I’ve changed the strings several times with no improvement. The luthier even put some Aquilas on it without getting my approval. I changed back to fluorocarbon. I might try a higher tension e string next, then raising the saddle if that doesn’t work. String height is already 2.5mm at the 12th.

I’ve changed the strings several times with no improvement. The luthier even put some Aquilas on it without getting my approval. I changed back to fluorocarbon. I might try a higher tension e string next, then raising the saddle if that doesn’t work. String height is already 2.5mm at the 12th.
Joe, you'd have to raise the saddle significantly if the buzzing is at the 4th fret of the E string, which I suspect is where your problem lies. Visualize the triangle created between the fretted string at the 3rd fret and the saddle as the hypotenuse, and the fret line as the base to see what I'm saying. Fret or capo at the 3rd fret again, and look carefully at the string path across the frets. Also, repeat that with a vibrating string.

Is the saddle straight or compensated? If the former, you may need to replace it with a compensated one. If the latter, the compensation may be off (or it may be in the wrong position, IOW, reversed in the slot).

Did you try paper under that string at the nut? I can't remember if someone suggested that.

The nut can't be the problem if he's fretting at the 3rd to get the buzz.

Here is a possibility:

1. Hold down the string at the 3rd and check the gap between that string and the 4th fret. Just by pressing down the string just after the 4th fret, you'll see the gap. Compare it to the gap fretting at a place which doesn't buzz. If the string gap is tiny in comparison, then you almost certainly have either no/negative relief, or uneven frets. If they seem much the same ...

2. It's possible that your saddle has a ridge or sharp edge, just about where that string leaves it. This can create buzz on a single fret, or a few adjacent frets. The string hits the ridge/sharp edge just close enough to make the buzz, but fretting elsewhere changes the angle of the string over the saddle so no buzz! I've found this a couple of times, chasing down mystery buzzes.

3. If there's a ridge or edge, you'll probably feel that best with your fingertip (v light touch) - it can be too tiny to see by eye. If so, carefully round over the saddle at that point until you can't feel the ridge, using fine sandpaper. Then see if the buzz has gone.

If the string gap under point (1) is tiny in comparison, then you almost certainly have either no/negative relief, or uneven frets.

Good luck!

Top Bottom