NUUD

Spicysteve

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
New used uke day.
Ohana SK-70MG. Not a mark on it, presents as new. Not a fan of friction tuners so Graphtech Ratio tuners are on order for replacement. It will get a set of Freemont Medium Blacklines at installation as well. It has was look to be the original Aquila Nylguts on it which just don’t suit me but I will say it does really sound fantastic
Came with a Uke Crazy hard foam case also. Quite pleased with the find.

97698F63-5F48-48CB-B39A-DD7B6248D2B7.jpegC7DABD02-512B-4C6B-A770-EEEEA578D3C7.jpeg

Very nice! I look forward to the updated report when you've got the new tuners and strings installed!

Nice find, it looks great!

I sure do like the look of the Blacklines on a spruce top. Very snazzy. Lovely!
Thank you. Freemonts and Worth Browns are my go to fluorocarbons. If either feel too bright I use Worth’s.
Of course strings are objective but have been pleased with all three.

Thank you so much for following the progression with this one.

Thank you. Freemonts and Worth Browns are my go to fluorocarbons. If either feel too bright I use Worth’s.
Of course strings are objective but have been pleased with all three.

Thank you so much for following the progression with this one.
Excuse my typo. If they are too bright I use Oasis.
All are excellent strings.

I actually really like the look of those Graphtechs on there, too. Nice contrast. I guess not traditional, but whatevs. Looks sharp, and you're happier with the way it is to tune, so all good!

That's a wonderful looking ukulele, I look the grain/curl on the back wood. Have you used Graphtec tuners before Steve, I'm thinking of getting a set

Congrats on your find. Isn't upgrading your uke fun?

Nice job with the Graphtec tuners. They do look good on your soprano.

Beautiful mahogany on the body. Terrific find.

Update..... After considerable playing and the strings settling in I am not happy with the volume and string tension.
The action is quite low with zero issues but lower than my normal preference (I have large hands) I prefer the string height around 3mm. This is at 2.6, I am sure this is is influencing the volume as well as making it a bit difficult for me with large heavy hands.
Zero knocks against the ukulele, it is superbly light and resonate and I dearly love it.
I will be trying out a few different strings...... first will be Freemont Hard Sopranos strings for more tension, then Hannabach Super Carbons or Worth BE's.
Purely a personal string tension preference that will most likely bring volume as well. Otherwise I may try to shim the saddle or fit a replacement to end up with a bit higher string height.

Cheers to all,

Steve.

2nd update........
After an hour and a half fitting a new bone saddle (of which was primarily thicknessing the saddle from 3mm to 2mm) and the installation of Freemont Hard soprano strings I am beyond elated.
I brought the string height up to a true 3mm. Careful measuring prior to the change had the action at 2.1 mm with no buzzing or issues but I'm primarily a strummer and that is waaay too low for me.
With the new 3mm string height and higher tension strings it does now make its presence known. Just what I expect from a Spruce topped Soprano. The sustain is now the best of my herd of Sopranos except for my all solid Koa soprano.
Just an example of every ukulele being so different........ finding the right strings and setup make all the difference.

Top Bottom