Pickup: is it worth for $14 more?

Erwitt

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking to buy a Mahimahi tenor as my second uke and I have came across this dilemma: I can get the acoustic-only version or the pick-up version for just $14 more. This is because they are on sale, but the real difference without sale is $36 ($199 vs $235).

It seems a good deal, but I wasn't even considering getting a pickup initially. I usually only play for myself, and if at all for a small group of friends or family members. But seeing that the difference is so small, I don't know if it's worth it in case it comes in handy in the future.

Also I'm concerned about the weight. Is the pickup very noticeable? Although usually I use strap, I always prefer a light ukulele.

What do you think? Have you ever used a pickup when you thought you didn't need it?

I’d skip it if it’s a big plastic preamp box. They’re bulky, ugly, and generally low quality. Dealing with batteries is a pain. If you’re not going to use it, lose it.

I usually use my iRig Acoustic Stage add-on pickup even on my ukes with pickups: I don’t use them enough to keep batteries.

If you ever do an Open Mic performance, they typically have a jack ready to plug in instruments. And if you are using a Mic you might need the amplification to hear your uke. And many of the preamps also have a built-in tuner so there's one less thing to carry around. I think having at least 1 uke ready to plug in is a good idea. If you go that route on this one, check out what's required to change batteries. I have some that the battery door is with the controls or cable plug-in, AND I have some that have a pouch inside the sound hole on the heel block which is a pain in the butt! I've never minded the extra weight, I'm used to a guitar hanging from my strap! That said, if I only had 1 uke (I can't even imagine that) it would be acoustic only. But playing in an all ukulele band, I have several ukes and a banjolele that are "wired" for sound!

My bias and (mis?)understanding is that if you play acoustic, an acoustic ukulele will sound better than one that has electronics that is not used. Going with pickups likely opens up a whole can of worms that I prefer not to deal with. Playing for a few people does not require amplification. If I played for the first time publicly in a group, I would prefer not to be amped so others cannot hear my mistakes. Then if I needed one, I would buy one separately... something that I do not anticipate ever happening.

I'm to the contrary of the previous posts. I have built in preamps/pickups in many of my ukes. I don't find them to add any appreciable weight. I also think they sound good, not like the add on surface kind that picks up every slight touch. I always use rechargeable batteries. I also use a wireless pod system to the amp, so no cables, and I find it very easy to tote a small battery amp. But that's me, to each their own.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 3 thinline acoustic bass ukes, 5 solid body bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I only ever play for myself at home, so it's an easy choice for me. If you think you'll use it, get it; otherwise don't. If you weren't even considering it initially, you probably don't need it.

Think about how you plan to use it. I’ve played for two and a half years and never once have I wished for amplified sound, so when I shop for ukes I look at acoustic-only models. And if you don’t own an amp to plug into that’s going to limit you a lot as far as how often your use it.

but it just depends on how you use your uke. I play for myself at home and in acoustic-only jams.

I wouldn't buy an ukulele without one. But I've never heard of a $14 one. Beware.

I have built in preamps/pickups in many of my ukes.
The sort of pickups somebody who has a personal luthier uses are likely unrelated to the ones coming in an entry level off-the-shelf uke.

I also think they sound good, not like the add on surface kind that picks up every slight touch.
Again, compare apples-to-apples. There are good and bad versions of each.

The one in Erwitt's entry-level uke is probably not MiSi or LR Baggs or the like. He doesn't need a pickup now, and if he does need one later one can always be added.

I will throw out that pickups are useful for practice via a looper, and you don't need a high quality one for that. There are a slew of inexpensive audio interfaces discounted this week that will let you plug into your phone for effects and then listen on headphones. I have about a half-dozen devices (including the iRig Acoustic Stage that I mentioned previously) that can provide audio to a computer as a secondary feature. No idea if this one is any good, but TC Electronics is usually decent and the discount is hard to argue with https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...annel-audio-midi-interface-for-mobile-devices

--Rob

The sort of pickups somebody who has a personal luthier uses are likely unrelated to the ones coming in an entry level off-the-shelf uke.
All of my preamp/pickups are standard Chinese made, some I bought direct from AliExprees and had Eric's guitar install them, some came built into the ukes with the same Chinese makes, but with the name of the uke company stamped on it. Very common practice in China. I'm very happy with my reasonably affordable electronics. That special discounted one I think is a good way to go, but only if they OP will make use of it.

A pick up of that cost is usually a low end under saddle piezo pickup. It will not add any noticeable weight, a few ounces. It won't hurt to get it with the pick up. Down the road if you decide to buy an amp or do an open mic performance the pick up will then come in handy

If you don't absolutely need a pickup for performances, I wouldn't get one. I have a $350 Fishman pickup/preamp with both undersaddle & mic - sounds worse than my unamplified instrument. A $14 pickup is likely to sound pretty bad, plus you'd need associated gear such as an amp, cable (or wireless system).

Last edited:
You said it was your second uke. Did your first one have a pickup?

If you don't absolutely need a pickup for performances, I wouldn't get one. I have a $350 Fishman pickup/preamp with both undersaddle & mic - sounds worse than my unamplified instrument. A $14 pickup is likely to sound pretty bad, plus you'd need associated gear such as an amp, cable (or wireless system).
Sounds like a bad pickup install.

I prefer playing through a mic when I want to amplify an instrument. This goes for both guitar and ukulele. If I am playing alone or with other miked instruments, I won't use a pickup, but I have used pickups when there are electric instruments or drums in the mix or when other instruments have pickups...self defence..

For me, it really depends on the pickup.
Would you be able to tell us what kind of pickup is being installed for $14?

If it's an inherently bad pickup, it's not worth getting the work done on the instrument to have it installed.
If it's a decent pickup, then it does add functionality to your uke.

Personally, I prefer having a pickup on all my ukes where possible.
I haven't noticed it affecting acoustic tone and it gives you a whole new world of sound possibilities plugged into amplifiers and playing around with effects. Also, it is advantageous in performance settings where you need to plug it into an amplifier or PA system.

However, the type of pickup being installed is important.

Top Bottom