High/Hard tension strings

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I have a soprano uke where standard Worth CM clears seem a bit floppy. I'm interested in trying some higher tension strings, and was looking at the the Worth clear CD set. Anyone playing these? I looked at the specs, and was surprised to find that that the CD set gauges are exactly the same as the standard CM set. I was expecting slightly heavier gauges on the CD set. I guess they keep the gauges the same, and just use a denser flouro material for the CD strings, which yields high tension?

I would definitely recommend trying out the higher tension strings. I put Worth CDs on my spruce top L. Luthier concert and it made the tone less overly bright and really powerful and bassy, basically retaining the original sound of the uke with thinner strings (the stock strings were Savarez fluorocarbons which are quite thick). The tension is noticeably higher without being too stiff. I'm actually really curious how they feel on a soprano. Haven't tried it myself.

Do be aware, however, that the tone might sound very different with the higher tension strings. They basically reduce the higher end frequencies since they are stiffer and therefore less resonant so the tone will be rounder, fatter, whatever adjective you like to use. At least that's what happened on my concert. The soprano scale might still retain some high end spark and jangle.

Also, I'm actually a bit dubious regarding the gauges Worth specifies on their website. I'm wondering if the higher tension strings are actually the same gauge as the regular strings. They certainly don't fell like it but I don't have anything at hand to measure them. Maybe it's just the tension...

I had these on a Kiwaya KS-5 at one point. It was a while ago and I sold it at some point but I remember liking the strings a lot. I was also surprised that the gauges were listed as the same gauge but Worth does describe them here as being a “harder” material.

Anyway, again I recall liking them and feeling like the tension and tone were very nicely balanced. Meant to buy them again, but haven’t yet just because I’m always trying different strings.

I have the CDs on two of my ukes. They are great. I think they probably are the same gauge as CMs as claimed, but they do sound more punchy. I have found that the extra tension dissipates a little over the course of using them. Highly recommended.

I restrung my Pono tenor with UkeLogic hard tension high G stings last night. I'll return in a couple of weeks and make my comments. BTW an extra A string was included in the packaging.

Have a set of both hard tension and soft tensions in the house, debating which go on next. Me and my Pono will definitely be staying tuned!

For years, I had avoided high tension strings like the plague because I thought they would be too hard to play. After 20 years of not playing, I went to my local music store to get new strings. The strings I had been using had been discontinued so I asked what they recommended. They suggested Savarez high tension. At that time, two of my friends were taking lessons from Jake & he used Savarez classical guitar strings on his ukulele.

Whoa, what a difference! Made my instrument sound much better than what I remembered with the lower tension strings. Could dig in & play much louder without distorting & wasn't much harder to play. Later on, tried D'Addario regular tension & high tension, Savarez extra high tension, but have stuck with high tension strings ever since.

Last edited:
I received my concert Barron River with Hannabach medium tension strings. They do have more tension compared to other fluorocarbons (Uke Logic, Worth, Living W...) and I am really enjoying them. Took a week or two to adjust completely where I was no longer conscious that the tension was a little greater.

For years, I had avoided high tension strings like the plague because I thought they would be too hard to play. After 20 years of not playing, I went to my local music store to get new strings. The strings I had been using had been discontinued so I asked what they recommended. They suggested Savarez high tension. At that time, two of my friends were taking lessons from Jake & he used Savarez classical guitar strings on his ukulele.

Whoa, what a difference! Made my instrument sound much better than what I remembered with the lower tension strings. Could dig in & play much louder without distorting & wasn't much harder to play. Later on, tried D'Addario regular tension & high tension, Savarez extra high tension, but have stuck with high tension strings ever since.
Which Savarez high tension strings specifically are you using ?

I restrung my Pono tenor with UkeLogic hard tension high G stings last night. I'll return in a couple of weeks and make my comments. BTW an extra A string was included in the packaging.
I would be interested in your comments later too... I have a set of soft Uke Logic on one of my Pono's

I received my concert Barron River with Hannabach medium tension strings. They do have more tension compared to other fluorocarbons (Uke Logic, Worth, Living W...) and I am really enjoying them. Took a week or two to adjust completely where I was no longer conscious that the tension was a little greater.

The string set you link to are nylon .

The string set you link to are nylon .
Oops! The set I have are the 235MHT (medium high tension) that are described as "Super Carbon" which I take to mean similar to a fluorocarbon. But the gist of my post of adapting to higher tension strings holds true.

Soprano have short scale, may be better if tuned up to D unless specific Soprano tension strings are used.
Thank you for confirming this. As much as I've bad-mouthed the Martin M-600's that I installed before switching to Fremont Black Lines because the A string prematurely frayed and went dead, I've recently realized that though the Fremonts still sound great, they seem increasingly floppy in comparison to the Martins. Oddly, however, the packaging for both sets specified, "Soprano/ Concert". Which manufacturers sell strings specifically for a soprano?

I've always felt that the Fremonts are more "bendy" than other strings. Easier on your fingers, but also easy to play slack key style (I've been told). Also easier to push the A string off the edge of the fretboard.

Uke Logic Hard tension strings are nice. Haven't tried the D'Addario. I have the Savarez set on a tenor.

I’ve had the Uke Logic high tension strings on for two weeks now. Very nice string set. Sustain is very nice. They feel harder when fretting, but I’m getting used to that. My main issue is getting a clean bar on the first two frets. I’m hoping the issue will resolve itself by continued playing.

Just installed a set of Hannabach 235MHT's on an all solid Acacia Concert. Had Freemont Blacklines on it. I was torn between installing Freemont Blackline Hards or the Hannabach's. The Hannabach's really sing!!!!
I installed a set of the Hannabach "hards" on an all solid mahogany Tenor couple of weeks ago and was just as pleased.
I am a dyed in the wool Freemont string fan but really love the "hard" Hannabach's.

Last edited:
Update on my UkeLogic hard tension strings. As reported earlier, I’ve been having trouble getting clean Barr cords. Yesterday I tuned to F Bb D G. Wow, what an improvement. Barr cords are cleaner and the sustain is longer. So, did my hard tension strings become “softer”? Is it okay to change between tunings frequently? I play with others weekly and need standard tuning. Capo, for me, is not an option. I am not about to give up on the UkeLogic strings.

Update on my UkeLogic hard tension strings. As reported earlier, I’ve been having trouble getting clean Barr cords. Yesterday I tuned to F Bb D G. Wow, what an improvement. Barr cords are cleaner and the sustain is longer. So, did my hard tension strings become “softer”? Is it okay to change between tunings frequently? I play with others weekly and need standard tuning. Capo, for me, is not an option. I am not about to give up on the UkeLogic strings.
Hey Ref, it has been my experience too that the "one-step-lower" f Bb D G tuning (I'm assuming re-entrant here) works really nicely with a tenor.

And I'd say that if you're re-tuning with some regularity between g C E A down to f Bb D G, that shouldn't be problematic. I suppose it might be a different story if you were normally in the g C E A tuning and frequently switched back and forth to a HIGHER tuning such as a D F# B. But even then, I kind of doubt that any serious negatives would occur.

Top Bottom