How long do Boveda packs *actually* last?

mikelz777

Reaction score
How long do Boveda packs *actually* last? From what I can tell Boveda's stance is that packs will last 2 months to a year and then should be replaced and that they discourage "recharging" the packs because they supposedly would not be as effective. That gets a chin scratch and a big "Hmmmm....." from me. I think that discouraging recharging because of supposed less effectiveness seems a bit dubious and has a lot more to do with them wanting to sell more product. It would seem to me that as long as they soften when placed in a humid environment and harden when placed in a dry environment that they are doing their job. Has anyone out there used these over several years and if so, how long?

I used 2 boveda packs when I travel with my uke on flights lasting 14 hours on average. They prob fly about 6 legs a month. There are some places I go to where the humidity is in the range of 80-90%. And many other much drier. whilst in the plane humidity is prob in the 30% region or less. they have lasted me for more than a year with no issues. The packs seems to be able to retain the soft gel like feel still. The Uke that I travel with is still ok. Kept in a hard case when traveling.

If you think about it, it does make some sense - just like you eventually need to add crystals to your Oasis humidifiers, the same thing is happening inside the Boveda pack. I do recharge mine at least once, but they do eventually need replacing. I think mine last about 18-24 months (with recharging.)

If you think about it, it does make some sense - just like you eventually need to add crystals to your Oasis humidifiers, the same thing is happening inside the Boveda pack. I do recharge mine at least once, but they do eventually need replacing. I think mine last about 18-24 months (with recharging.)
What is recharging?

What is recharging?
When the packs have hardened they have dispersed the humidity that they hold and need to be "recharged". If you place a hardened pack in a sealed container with some water (in such a way that the pack does not become wet) it will absorb humidity and become soft again - ready to humidify your ukulele case.

Last edited:
The humidity doesn't change much where I live, so that may be a factor, but I first started using Boveda packs last April and have never needed to change one out.

I use a combination of Boveda packs on the fretboard, MusicNomad Humilele Ukulele Humidifier in the sound hole, and an Oasis under the neck.
Check once a week. After a year Boveda's all seem fine and as a bonus help with any excess humidity.

I use a combination of Boveda packs on the fretboard, MusicNomad Humilele Ukulele Humidifier in the sound hole, and an Oasis under the neck.
Check once a week. After a year Boveda's all seem fine and as a bonus help with any excess humidity.
Good idea!

Humidity in my area is usually between 45 and 60. I’m experimenting with Boveda packs during the winter, when it drops below that range. Will the packs automatically rehydrate during the rest of the year, when the humidity is higher?

Whether hard case or heavy padded gig bag (like Kanile'a or Gators) I use the Boveda Two-Way 49% at the headstock and an Oasis-18 in the sound hole. As has been mentioned in previous replies, the neck support or trinket box at the neck blocks the airflow. I have 3 year old Boveda's in three hard cases that are still in good shape. I have three digital humidistats that I rotate through the cases, upper and sound hole area, and the RH stays between 45% and 55%. I've written the date-opened on the Boveda's and a piece of tape on the Oasis' (showing when I last changed the beads) to keep track. With the 3 year olds I'll check each time I add water to the Oasis's, about every 2 weeks. I won't try to recharge them... not worth the effort, especially if they're over 3 years old...the expense has well amortized.

Boveda & D'Addario seem to have changed the makeup of the HumidiPak. They used to dry out to form a hard crystal like substance that could puncture the paper pack if pushed. The new ones I have, seem to dry out to a clay like feel. Harder to tell if they are exhausted or not.

If I leave some old dryed out packs out in the summer when the humidity gets up into the 80s, the packs will start to regenerate. But I notice that even if they feel squishy, they don't last as long as a new pak. Which in a hard case is usually about a year.

Last edited:
I see a couple of replies noting use of both a Boveda-49 pack and an Oasis-18 in-soundhole humidifier. I just did that last night (10/31/2023) with all 28 of my solid-wood ukes.

The Oasis-18 tubes are all hung from the strings into the top/neck-end of the soundhole (except for two resonator ukes, where they are in the case by the headstock) and the Boveda-49 packs are generally laid over the bottom/bridge-end of the soundhole under the strings — and for most of the instruments there is a small amount of soundhole airspace between the two. All are in hard cases, stored on wire rack shelving in my basement, “handle up” on their sides.

In the summer, that part of the basement is dehumidified by my waterproofing system’s dehumidifier (a standing unit positioned in the corner, accompanying an in-floor-edge wall drainage system) to a trustworthy uniform 45-50% (I have an ambient hygrometer on the shelving unit, as well as small in-case “cheap” hygrometers that all read at pretty much 44% to 46%). Over the summer, I just keep a Boveda-49 bag in the cases.

I live in Cleveland, Ohio, where the summer humidity can often be 70% or more, in a 90+ year-old house with a boiler, with no A/C, so my 1st & 2nd floors are regulated with floor dehumidifiers that can keep things at a reliable 45% to 50% ambient humidity.

In the winter, Cleveland humidity can often go quite low, to, say 15% — but, with humidifiers in the basement and the 1st floor, I can keep things at a relatively stable 40% to 45% throughout (often at the higher end in the basement area where my instruments are kept). (Note, throughout the year, I play pretty much all of my ukes at regular intervals, so they get ambient “air” from my living room too).

Now, after all that “set up” to my question . . .

Just after doing the “Oasis-18 + Boveda-49” set-up, I did an internet search about whether I should do the “two-piece” humidification strategy. My thought is that, over the winter, the Boveda-49 pack will “do its thing” to stabilize things at 49% while the Oasis-18 soundhole tubes would “help out” during the challenges of a Cleveland winter (tempered by my rather dedicated manual floor humidifier efforts — I have 4, two in the basement, two on the 1st floor).

The “internet view” seems to be not to “supplement” the Boveda-49 packs with in-soundhole humidifiers. But here, I see a number of folks do the same Boveda + Oasis strategy that I just put in place (in the previous three winters, I have been “Oasis-18 only” over the winter, refilling every Sunday — which was a schedule that worked out fine, as the Oasis-18s were still “half full” after a week).

Thoughts about whether I’m overdoing it with the two-piece strategy — or whether it is a good plan for where I live, . . . despite the “internet view” to the contrary.

Last edited:
Wow! Looking at the number of ukes you are managing humidity for, it seems it would be easier to use humidifier/s for either the entire basement, or maybe section off a corner with sheet plastic "walls" (lets heat pass through but limits moisture from escaping). If the 2 you have can't maintain 50% maybe get higher output units. I humidify 1 room with a dedicated humidifier and have a WiFi humidistat in that room that sends an alert when humidity drops below 45% (which usually means my humidifier needs refilling). Personally I don't like the idea of any moisture based humidifier in or around my ukes if possible, with the exception of when traveling with one for usually short periods of time.

Thoughts about whether I’m overdoing it with the two-piece strategy — or whether it is a good plan for where I live, . . . despite the “internet view” to the contrary.
This is what I've been doing for about 18 months. Never recharged the boveda and have recently wondered why. I think the answer is that I'm regularly adding water to the D'Addario humidifier. This must be recharging the boveda as well. Seems to be working.....no symptoms of underhumidification since implementing this system........And wow! 28 ukes! Wow, that is a lot of humidification work and expense. I just have one that requires humidification.

What I do is put them in an airtight container with an Oasis and the packs then absorb the humidity and they plump back up. Others use sponges, etc.
I recharge mine after they get hard/partially hard by soaking them in a bowl of distilled water over night. When they plump back up, let the outside dry out on a plate and they are good to go.

I recharge mine after they get hard/partially hard by soaking them in a bowl of distilled water over night. When they plump back up, let the outside dry out on a plate and they are good to go.
I wouldn't advise soaking the actual packet in water. It seems like that would really weaken and shorten its potential lifespan and opens the door to potential serious issues. I recharge mine by placing them in an unsealed container so they stay dry and then place that container in a larger sealed container with water in it. That way the packets absorb the humidity from the evaporating water in the sealed container while the packets themselves stay dry.

Hi JSatola. I'm very familiar with Cleveland. I used to live in North Royalton and Lakewood and worked in downtown Cleveland or Beachwood for 10 years. The weather here in Sparta, WI is very similar.

I use room humidifiers in our house. I keep the rooms at about 40% RH. Any higher and the windows get condensation with the wooden frames getting mold and mildew. I use a single Size 60 49% Boveda/D'Addario humidpack, in a sleeve, in the body part of the case. And a Size 8 49% pack in the headstock area. That usually keeps the tenor in a 40 - 45% RH range.

Depending upon the case and the tenor, Those two packs will last from November into March or April. Sometimes longer. I have been recharging my this past year in a large covered sealed plastic food container with an open dish of water. It takes about two weeks to recharge 8 to 10 humidpacks at a time. They plump up nicely.

You may want to get an inexpensive hygrometer or two, such as an Inkbird to see how well the packs are working. You can put one inside your uke to check the level. It will record a history.

Anything over 60% inside your ukes can be damaging by swelling the raw wood.

I wouldn't advise soaking the actual packet in water. It seems like that would really weaken and shorten its potential lifespan and opens the door to potential serious issues. I recharge mine by placing them in an unsealed container so they stay dry and then place that container in a larger sealed container with water in it. That way the packets absorb the humidity from the evaporating water in the sealed container while the packets themselves stay dry.
Has worked for me just fine and I haven't had to buy new ones. Haven't tried the Oasis humidifier method but I've brought back several that have been completely dried out. Some have had the outside wrapping come loose. Those were the white Humidipaks but haven't had any issues with the brown Bovida packs. Of course, ymmv

Top Bottom