Ohana Ck20S My very first Uke Experience

Fhede

Reaction score
I'm a guitarplayer that added the Uke as a "tiny" guitar to take wherever I go, and as I entrance door to the musical instruments for my kids (8ys the older).
I looked for a cheap, but good enough uke. "Taking advantage" of my (limited) knowledge because I know about guitars, I found as a good option this used Uke that I paid USD 60 (and included the shipping cost, a nice bag and a clip tuner).

This is a Concert Uke with Solid Top, all "mahogany", I guess "african mahogany". It doesn't say but I guess is Made in China.

Other clarification: Although I know a lot of guitars, my knowledge is focused in electric guitars, mainly in solid body guitars, so, my acoustic instruments experience is limited, and it's also my first Uke, I didn't have the chance to compare it with others... so don't take too seriously my comments.

The Uke was bought by the first owner in 2017. IMHO, the Uke
- sounds very good, has good volume, and resonate well
- has a tuning issue in the 3rd string, but seems to be the way it was stringed, because I have to always to put it tighter. It doesn't seem to be the tuner machine.
- It has the upper tip of the high frets is poorly finished, as they are sharp. Until now it doesn't affect the playability, my thumb didn't pass there yet, and I think that I won't do it. The frets lower tip where the fingers 1,2,3,4 pass are well finished.
- The gloss finish is pretty cool.
- The appearance and grain of the wood is very showy.
- 2 or 3 pcs neck in the headstock and in the heal has suplementary pieces.

Again, I'm not familiar with the quality of a comparable Uke, but in general, I found that it's a good Uke. I didn't expect the sharp frets. But I'm pretty happy with it.
I received it on saturday (2 days ago), I may add more details about it in the coming days.

I am attaching some pics in a while from my mobile.

Attachments

• Resize_20230129_003232_2811.jpg
    Resize_20230129_003232_2811.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Compress_20230130_134112_2430.jpg
    Compress_20230130_134112_2430.jpg
    959.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Compress_20230130_134304_4340.jpg
    Compress_20230130_134304_4340.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Compress_20230130_134303_3644.jpg
    Compress_20230130_134303_3644.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Compress_20230130_134302_2919.jpg
    Compress_20230130_134302_2919.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Compress_20230130_134301_1706.jpg
    Compress_20230130_134301_1706.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Compress_20230130_134302_2321.jpg
    Compress_20230130_134302_2321.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
You might try swapping out the tuners. I just found a crazy bargain on the big river website that may be of interest to you(or your kids). It's a Journey Instruments travel ukulele concert size. It currently has a double 50% off deal.

You might try swapping out the tuners. I just found a crazy bargain on the big river website that may be of interest to you(or your kids). It's a Journey Instruments travel ukulele concert size. It currently has a double 50% off deal.
The tuners don't seem to be solid, but as I said, seems it more a matter of how the string is how the string how is put on. I will see what happens in the coming days, if this continues or if it fits. The uke was not used for 4 years!

The tuners don't seem to be solid, but as I said, seems it more a matter of how the string is how the string how is put on. I will see what happens in the coming days, if this continues or if it fits. The uke was not used for 4 years!
If you've not yet put new strings on, that's probably the best first choice. Let them settle in and see what's what after that.

If you've not yet put new strings on, that's probably the best first choice. Let them settle in and see what's what after that.
I totally agree, at least in guitar most of the tuning issues I saw were due to the string not being set correctly or a nut issue -the string doesn't run well through the nut gutter-.

String action is approx 1.75 mm at the fret 12 and approx 2.5 mm in the fret 20.
I think that is acceptable, isn't it?

You got a fantastic deal on that Ohana!

I'd restring it with strings of your choice. (you'll find string opinions all over the map, it really comes down to your personal playing style and what you want it to feel and sound like) While the strings are off, touch up the fret ends to get rid of the sharpness. And check that the tuner gear screws are appropriately tight. Maybe lube the gears. There's no reason they should need to be replaced.

It's also possible that this uke was just never really played, and that the string in question was just never stretched/settled into proper tune. (or maybe that one string got loosened more than the others before it went into storage?) New strings will do the same thing... you'll be tuning and retuning them for a few days or more before they settle in.

The action seems spot-on unless you're one of those people who like it higher.

3 piece neck is standard on less expensive ukes but doesn't effect sound. Ohana's can sound really really good. I love my basic Ohana long neck soprano even if the string action is low and easy to play

My thanks to the OP for starting this thread. It’s a nice demonstration of solid top Ukes, certainly makes ya’ think.

Ohana make some nice instruments and I’m pretty pleased with my all solid Concert. Admittedly I was unlucky because mine needed a little sorting, but perfection can cost a lot more. The OP got a bargain and I’m not unhappy with what I paid for mine.

Strings. After doing a bit of research I settled on Aquila Super Nylgut on my Ohana Concert. That’s what’s now fitted to them from new and IMHO they match the instrument well. Strings are a right ‘rabbit hole’ in which you can waste a lot of time, money and effort.

Edit. For what it’s worth strings can take a couple of weeks to settle and to give of their best. It takes a while before you really know whether a string set is going to work for you or not, it’s best to temper early judgements and to give something a fair trial.

Last edited:
You got a fantastic deal on that Ohana!

I'd restring it with strings of your choice. (you'll find string opinions all over the map, it really comes down to your personal playing style and what you want it to feel and sound like) While the strings are off, touch up the fret ends to get rid of the sharpness. And check that the tuner gear screws are appropriately tight. Maybe lube the gears. There's no reason they should need to be replaced.

It's also possible that this uke was just never really played, and that the string in question was just never stretched/settled into proper tune. (or maybe that one string got loosened more than the others before it went into storage?) New strings will do the same thing... you'll be tuning and retuning them for a few days or more before they settle in.

The action seems spot-on unless you're one of those people who like it higher.
According to what the first owner told me, the uke was bought in 2017 played a couple of months and not played anymore from then.
I expected that strings settle in after a while one or two days, as it happens with the guitar. But the third string keeps coming loose.
I thought because the uke strings were not of metal would not suffer the pass of time, but I may be wrong!
I didn't research about Uke strings yet, but seems I will have to! hehehe!!!

@badhabits @LorenFL @Graham Greenbag @ploverwing
Please, can you tell me how is the "life" of a uke strings?
For instance guitar strings get stained and (wound guitar string), dirty acummulates... the first weeks / month, new strings has a more "metallic" sound, with more highend, after a while the loose that top end... and if you keep them too much, they start to deform and lose mass which makes them impossible to tune them.
How is the behaviour of Uke Strings? How is the process of "getting old"? How long do they ussually last in "good shape"?

@badhabits @LorenFL @Graham Greenbag @ploverwing
For instance guitar strings get stained and (wound guitar string), dirty acummulates... the first weeks / month, new strings has a more "metallic" sound, with more highend, after a while the loose that top end... and if you keep them too much, they start to deform and lose mass which makes them impossible to tune them.
How is the behaviour of Uke Strings? How is the process of "getting old"? How long do they ussually last in "good shape"?
It all depends on what strings are fitted, how fussy you are about sound and how aggressively you play. It might be just me but I find the Aquila strings to be very durable - some people literally play the same set of Aquilas for years.

It all depends on what strings are fitted, how fussy you are about sound and how aggressively you play. It might be just me but I find the Aquila strings to be very durable - some people literally play the same set of Aquilas for years.
And in this case, that as far as I understand the Ohana ukes come with Aquila strings... these strings were not used too much buuuut they has more than 5y!!!
I guess that the material (rubber?) deteriorated... the main issue is the 3rd string... I will keep them a couple of weeks and then change them with a New ones.
It will be a good experience to understand the behaviour of an old string and a new one. (I know, I know, I'm just a little analytical and curious).

It's also one of those troubleshooting things: you get a new (to you) ukulele, you have no idea how long the strings have been on (or in your case, you do), but strings that are sitting under tension in storage are still going to wear out. Perhaps that one string had a little flaw to start with, and now it's just not holding its own. I had a set of strings which had been recently changed just before I first received my Famous FS-5, and they were great initially, but then they started to detune after a few months, so after tightening the friction pegs a little, and it still was an issue, I changed them, and now it's much better. I had a set of brand new strings installed on my Ohana SK-50WG before I had it shipped to me, and even after settling in, the intonation was just off for the second string. That was the first recommendation to me: change the strings, see what happens. I did so, and magic: all better now. I have a set of Worth Browns on one of my tenors, and they've been going strong for months, no change in sound or playability, no problem, and I'm not anticipating changing them until they do change.

It's also one of those troubleshooting things: you get a new (to you) ukulele, you have no idea how long the strings have been on (or in your case, you do), but strings that are sitting under tension in storage are still going to wear out. Perhaps that one string had a little flaw to start with, and now it's just not holding its own. I had a set of strings which had been recently changed just before I first received my Famous FS-5, and they were great initially, but then they started to detune after a few months, so after tightening the friction pegs a little, and it still was an issue, I changed them, and now it's much better. I had a set of brand new strings installed on my Ohana SK-50WG before I had it shipped to me, and even after settling in, the intonation was just off for the second string. That was the first recommendation to me: change the strings, see what happens. I did so, and magic: all better now. I have a set of Worth Browns on one of my tenors, and they've been going strong for months, no change in sound or playability, no problem, and I'm not anticipating changing them until they do change.
I got it... thanks!
So...I will do a research about strings or open a new thread to see which set I will buy!

I will do a research about strings or open a new thread to see which set I will buy!
Lol, there is almost an infinite number of conversations on this forum about strings. You may want to do a little hunting, there is a lot of good (and overwhelming) information. Strings are relatively inexpensive, so it's useful to maybe buy a couple of different types and keep them on hand for see what you like the tone of. Here's a good video:

My limited experience with different kinds of strings is that the most dramatic impact of changing string(s) is when there is a problem--either a bad string or a set that just doesn't work with a ukulele. Otherwise, strings are the icing on the cake, but the ukulele is the cake. The differences in sound and playability are notieable but subtle compared to the differences between instruments, and my sense is that detailed matching instruments and strings to style of play and particular application (recording, performing, teaching/practice) is more of an issue for advanced players on better instruments. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying different string types, it is fun and relatively inexpensive to experiment with string sets. On the other hand, my recommendation would be that once you get a set that is working, stick with it for a while before going too far down the rabbit hole of finding the perfect set.

Top Bottom