Empty cases - fill them or sell them?

mikelz777

Reaction score
So I was moving things around the other day and came across my 3 empty uke cases. I had been meaning to sell them so I proceeded to take pictures of them and take measurements so I could put them in the sale listing but then that haunting temptation started calling. I started feeling like I wanted to hold one back and maybe fill it instead of selling it and that temptation is growing!

Have you had the same temptation with an empty case or do you have the steely resolve just to sell or get rid of the case?

The case paradox. Where did the ukes go that once lived in the vacant cases?
* case 1 - I was selling a concert uke and it wasn't getting any bites. I lowered the price and finally got a buyer. I didn't want to include the case in the price and take an even bigger hit so I sold the uke alone with the idea I'd sell the case on its own.

* case 2 - I bought a long neck soprano which came in one of those zippered padded canvas cases and while it was a nice case, I preferred a hard case for added protection and to be better able to control the humidity in the cold weather/heating months so I replaced it with a hard case.

* case 3 - The long neck soprano which came in case 2 and then moved to a new hard case ended up having a defect that the supplier was willing to replace but they didn't have any more long neck sopranos and offered to replace it with a concert which I accepted so I had to replace the hard case I bought for the defective long neck soprano with a larger case.

Now I'm tempted by a long neck soprano. :rolleyes: 😄

I too am an enabler, fill the empty cases.

If any of the 3 would fit a standard soprano uke, I’d argue that you should sell it (to me). But, why waste that extra space beyond the headstock? Fill all three with new concert ukes, man!

If any of the 3 would fit a standard soprano uke, I’d argue that you should sell it (to me). But, why waste that extra space beyond the headstock? Fill all three with new concert ukes, man!
Two of the cases are concert size and I don't need any more concert ukes. (But we all know how that goes!) The other is a generous soprano case. Length-wise it will accommodate a soprano or a long-neck soprano. The upper bout isn't snug, it's got a little extra room and in the lower bout, it's a good inch wider than a typical soprano body. The uke wouldn't be bouncing around in there but there is a little play.

Two of the cases are concert size and I don't need any more concert ukes. (But we all know how that goes!) The other is a generous soprano case. Length-wise it will accommodate a soprano or a long-neck soprano. The upper bout isn't snug, it's got a little extra room and in the lower bout, it's a good inch wider than a typical soprano body. The uke wouldn't be bouncing around in there but there is a little play.
So, am I correct in guessing the concert-sized cases would have around 3 inches of void between the headstock and the narrow end of the case if storing a standard soprano uke inside?

So, am I correct in guessing the concert-sized cases would have around 3 inches of void between the headstock and the narrow end of the case if storing a standard soprano uke inside?
I did a quick check of the concert size case using my current long-neck soprano which is 22" long. Length-wise there is about 1-3/4" void in the head space. There is an extra 1" width in the upper bout and and extra 1-1/2" width in the lower bout.

I bought a new production uke online (Kiwaya tenor mahog)... It came case-less, (well enough protected) I actually felt a bit relieved since I am paying for an uke; not the case.
I keep two daily players out on the wall for quick grab. So there's always an empty case available.

I bought 2 custom tenors 15 years ago: 17.55" and 18" scale. They had to come in bari cases... felt weird carrying around so much case.

You’re treating this as an all or nothing situation when it is not. Shipping is an issue on bulky low cost items. I’d be inclined to list all of the cases locally / within low shipping cost distance and then see what happens, let the advert be free / minimal cost and leave it running for a long time. You might sell one, two or three cases or you might not; you’re in no hurry so leave it to fate.

If you get another Uke then it might come in a case or be laminate (needing only a gig-bag). If necessary then a decent Uke can be taken out of the home in a gig-bag and suitable storage at home isn’t limited to only a case. You also have other Ukes in cases so instruments can be swopped about.

If it’s practical for you then, of course, there’s no reason not to try both nesting the Soprano case within a Concert case and filling the cases with other stuff needing storage (could be anything that’ll fit; tools, cloths, books or whatever; maybe put a contents label on the outside).

So I was moving things around the other day and came across my 3 empty uke cases. I had been meaning to sell them so I proceeded to take pictures of them and take measurements so I could put them in the sale listing but then that haunting temptation started calling. I started feeling like I wanted to hold one back and maybe fill it instead of selling it and that temptation is growing!

Have you had the same temptation with an empty case or do you have the steely resolve just to sell or get rid of the case?

I‘m always tempted by something special or a bargain. However, but not too rigidly, I try to cap the number of instruments that I have … I’ve a couple of long unused ones to let go of and have sold instruments over the years. It’s hassle, it‘ll produce minimal financial return but it frees up space.

Last edited:
You’re treating this as an all or nothing situation when it is not. Shipping is an issue on bulky low cost items. I’d be inclined to list all of the cases locally / within low shipping cost distance and then see what happens, let the advert be free / minimal cost and leave it running for a long time. You might sell one, two or three cases or you might not; you’re in no hurry so leave it to fate.

If you get another Uke then it might come in a case or be laminate (needing only a gig-bag). If necessary then a decent Uke can be taken out of the home in a gig-bag and suitable storage at home isn’t limited to only a case. You also have other Ukes in cases so instruments can be swopped about.

If it’s practical for you then, of course, there’s no reason not to try both nesting the Soprano case within a Concert case and filling the cases with other stuff needing storage (could be anything that’ll fit; tools, cloths, books or whatever; maybe put a contents label on the outside).

I‘m always tempted by something special or a bargain. However, but not too rigidly, I try to cap the number of instruments that I have … I’ve a couple of long unused ones to let go of and have sold instruments over the years. It’s hassle, it‘ll produce minimal financial return but it frees up space.
Shipping is definitely an issue with selling the cases. Even selling them at a discount by the time shipping is added on one would be able to buy new from a retailer for the same or cheaper. I've had fairly good luck selling person to person via Craigslist or Facebook marketplace which would be free to list and that would be my plan for selling the cases however long that might take. I'm still tempted to fill one of them though it's certainly something I don't need. I think the current plan is to list the two for sale and hold one back. I'll let the temptation stew for a while and see if I'm still tempted after a couple weeks. Then I can either choose to act on the temptation, let it stew longer or try and sell the third case if the temptation passes.

Shipping is definitely an issue with selling the cases. Even selling them at a discount by the time shipping is added on one would be able to buy new from a retailer for the same or cheaper. I've had fairly good luck selling person to person via Craigslist or Facebook marketplace which would be free to list and that would be my plan for selling the cases however long that might take. I'm still tempted to fill one of them though it's certainly something I don't need. I think the current plan is to list the two for sale and hold one back. I'll let the temptation stew for a while and see if I'm still tempted after a couple weeks. Then I can either choose to act on the temptation, let it stew longer or try and sell the third case if the temptation passes.
That sounds like a reasonable plan to me. As I was walking my Dog I was reflecting on my earlier post; it occurred to me that I should have suggested that you review all of your Concert and Soprano cases and then sell off the poorer ones. The slightly big Soprano case gives flexibility so it would likely be moved to my keep pile, and if moved then I’d re-home a Uke into it from another/poorer case. Perhaps you’ve already got similar in mind, but if so then perhaps someone else reading this thread latter might benefit from the extra comment.

I am somewhat of a case hoarder. Even though I just play for myself or at an occasional sing-and-strum, I feel every uke needs a dedicated case. Some require a very specific fit. I don't always give away a case with a donation as that forces me to buy yet another with my next purchase.

My junkiest ones do go first. A good uke deserves a good case.

On another note, change the word "pages" with cases...

Top Bottom