Search results

1. rustydusty

Steel strings on a baritone ukulele...

For the last 18 months or so I've been wanting a tenor guitar. Today I was looking at tenor guitars for sale and ran across a cheap Kmise "tenor guitar" for under $100. It got pretty good reviews but several of the reviews mentioned that it was basically a baritone ukulele with a truss rod. So I...
  2. rustydusty

NUD Amahi Troubadour roundback...

A few weeks ago I dropped my sons rental french horn off for repairs at a local music store and noticed that they had a selection of these roundback soprano Amahi ukeleles. Of course I couldn't resist trying one out and was impressed with the volume and tone. Evidently Amahi is the manufacturer...
  3. rustydusty

Drilling a big hole in my ukulele...

like the title says, I'm thinking about drilling a 1"-1 1/4" sound hole in the side of my ukulele. I was fiddling around with a uke at a music store the other day with a hole on the side for the player. I would probably lose a little volume, but I use it with an amp when I play out, so this...
  4. rustydusty

Your "one and only"...

I can appreciate ukulele collectors with dozens of instruments, but aren't some of you happy with the uke you're playing, and not stricken with "uas"? I only own three. The original baritone uke that I bought (Caramel all solid mahogany), the upgrade that I play (Clearwater round back baritone)...
  5. rustydusty

Tombo slideless chromatic harmonica...

About a week ago, I got a "slideless" chromatic harmonica by Tombo in the mail. Sounds nice, not hard to play if you are used to playing chromatic with a slide. I was hoping to be able to play some chromatic stuff with a "rack" and a ukulele but it's a little too awkward for that. Fun to play...
  6. rustydusty

Harmonica holder...

I gave my new harmonica holder to the guitar player in our band, as I just couldn’t get it to fit comfortably. All kinds of adjustments, but it was just too tall in the front, so I tried my old, modified Hohner rack and it fits perfectly. It probably doesn't help that I have 7 fused vertebrae in...
  7. rustydusty

NAD CoolMusic 40D...

I was just jammin' on my new "CoolMusic 40D" amp and am really digging it! Lots of cool features like chorus, delay, reverb etc. Supposedly putting out 80 amps with battery power. 6 channels and does everything my old Fender acoustasonic amp did at 1/3 the weight and twice the wattage. I will...
  8. rustydusty

Butcher block oil finish...

Santa brought me a Seagull merlin dulcimer for Christmas that is lots of fun to play. My only gripe is that it feels like bare wood with no finish. I thought about spraying it with semi gloss urethane or even gloss. What I thought might be nice would be "orange butcher block oil" that I used to...
  9. rustydusty

Idiot spammer...

opened the forum this morning morning and it's full of stupid spam. What kind of idiot does this?
  10. rustydusty

Tenor tuning on a baritone...

lately I've been thinking about getting a tenor uke and realized that my Caramel baritone came with an extra set of strings for re-entrant tuning (gcea). Should I tune these up to the same pitch as my concert uke or an octave lower?
  11. rustydusty

Unknown ukulele acquisition...

Today, my sister gifted me a ukulele she acquired used in the late 60s. There is no label or any other form of identification and she hand painted her initial (g) on the headstock back when she got it. It appears to be all solid mahogany including the neck which is formed from one piece. The...
  12. rustydusty

"For what it's Worth"...

For what it's worth, I have not been happy with the longevity of the wound strings in the sets I have put on my baritone uke. Seems like they last about a month or so and I start to see damage where the windings make contact with the frets. I can't help but think this is going to affect the...
  13. rustydusty

String ties...

Just finished putting a new set of "Aquila Lava" strings on my Clearwater baritone, and decided to try a set of "Diamond Rosette string ties. So far so good. Easy to install, supposed to reduce string stretch, and with a sharper string angle over the saddle, improves dynamics with the sound...
  14. rustydusty

ukulele and harmonica...

Anyone here like to play harmonica in a holder while playing their ukulele? I used to "busk" with guitar and harmonica up and down the east coast while cruising in my sailboat. Now I'm settled down in a house on an island and playing harmonica and baritone ukulele with a band. Anyone else?
  15. rustydusty

Harmonica kit...

Harmonica is my first instrument, and I thought I would share a picture of the kit I carry to gigs or practices with our band. The box is an old Bell telephone repair case that a retired repairman gave me. The harps cover any key in in first, second, or third position and are different types and...
  16. rustydusty

Clearwater round back baritone ukulele...

I recently upgraded my Caramel solid mahogany baritone ukulele with a Clearwater round back baritone ukulele. I can't get enough of this thing and pick it up at every opportunity. Anyone else playing one of these?
  17. rustydusty

Hello from Kent Island MD...

Hi guys, I am an old guitar and harmonica player that picked up a baritone ukulele about a year ago. My experience with guitars helped considerably with picking up the baritone uke. I have been playing in bands for about 50 years and am currently playing with a great bunch of friends.