Search results

1. OhioBelle

New Pins on the Kanilea

These are by John Pearse, purchased from Elderly. The set included six bridge pins, an end pin, and a strap pin. I was hoping the faux tortoise would work with the colors of the Kia. I think it does, and am quite happy.
  2. OhioBelle

Prayers for the Big Island

To all UU members in harm's way from Kilauea, my thoughts are with you
  3. OhioBelle

Old Harmony Bari On the Way

**Update: it's not coming. GC cancelled the order today due to it already being sold in store before I placed the order online Found this used on GC dot com. I've had it in my head to find an old beater bari, and could not resist this price! It says "good" condition. If it's worse than...
  4. OhioBelle

2018 Midwest Uke Camp

Just registered! My first. I'm excited! http://www.midwestukecamp.com
  5. OhioBelle

Attack of the Dremel!

I was nervous, but I drilled a hole in my new Larrivee A beautiful ivoroid strap button with white leather washer from Iluak.com And a lovely new Chee Maisel strap from HMS. Now my fretting hand is free to do what a fretting hand must do, versus supporting the neck. A side benefit is the...
  6. OhioBelle

NUD: Larrivee Silver Oak Concert

My ukulele journey of the last few years has lead me to this conclusion: concerts are my jam. Campanella is the style I love to play the most. Sopranos are perfect for the precise fingering required. But sadly, too much soprano clutching gave me tennis (uke) elbow. Playing my concert ULO...
  7. OhioBelle

Baritone Conversion to Steel

Jake Wildwood has this cool old Harmony baritone that he converted for steel strings. He said 60's era Harmonies are built heavy enough to take the additional tension. Sounds pretty good, if you're looking for that guitar-like sound...
  8. OhioBelle

Spectacular LFDM Baritone on HMS

Please, all you bari lovers out there, someone buy this gorgeous instrument! I've never seen such beautiful sinker redwood. It has a longer scale, a bigger body, and an incredible mellow tone...
  9. OhioBelle

Why Sam Muir Plays the Uke

Great new blog post by my ukulele hero, Samantha Muir: https://iloveclassicalukulele.com/2018/01/13/why-i-play-the-ukulele/comment-page-1/#comment-62
  10. OhioBelle

Pono MD-30SB: 8-String Tenor Guitar

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/baritone/pono-md-30-spruce-top-rosewood-deluxe-8-string-tenor-guitar-package.html Hawaii Music Supply has this spruce/rosewood beauty, as well as a spruce mahogany version, described as a new model. 8 strings and just a hair bigger than a baritone in...
  11. OhioBelle

Ever played a scalloped fretboard?

You know how one thing leads to another and before you know it, you've fallen down the rabbit hole? Checking out the pretties on Antebellum instruments and was intrigued by this baritone. https://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2017/08/2012-oceana-redwoodmahogany-baritone.html Never...
  12. OhioBelle

Flea-clipse

In honor of the Great Eclipse of 2017, I present: My Flea-clipse Sharpie, paint pen, and nail polish. Roughly done, but fun.
  13. OhioBelle

NUD: Style 1 Centennial v. Vintage 1K

So once again the whimsical Fate has dropped a treasure in my path. This time it was a Martin Centennial Style 1 Soprano on 4th of July Sale at Reverb. How to resist such a gift? It's not to be done. :) Now that I've had this lovely a couple of days, I thought I'd post a few pics of it with...
  14. OhioBelle

4th of July Sale on Reverb

15% off certain items. Ends at midnight CST today! Did I buy anything????? Ahem.... Who, me?
  15. OhioBelle

Martin 1K Binding Mystery

First, Happy Independence Day to everyone in the US! Next, I have been reading The Martin Ukulele by Tom Walsh & John King. Excellent book and resource for those interested in Martin's history and ukuleles. Complete with tons of beautiful, UAS-enabling pictures...
  16. OhioBelle

Blackline Strings on Sopranissimo

Switched the stock Nylguts on my Ohana O'Nino to Fremont Blacklines. I wanted to see if their higher tension would allow me to lower the tuning from D to C. After two days, so far so good! The tension is fine, not too floppy, and the sopranissimo sounds lovely in standard reentrant tuning.
  17. OhioBelle

Thank you, Forum, for...

I thought I'd start this thread out of gratitude for all of the things I've learned from it. For example: Today I was doing a first string change on my Kanile'a. Having been taught how to work bridge pins by my old guitar teacher, I thought I knew how they worked on this uke. Hah! Bridge...
  18. OhioBelle

FS: Mainland Classic Mahogany Soprano

***SOLD*** $125 shipped and PayPal'ed to your US address. Built in 2008, no scratches or dings that I can find. I love the vintage-look binding on this one, and the rich, warm, mahogany tone. I hate to let it go, but its place in my soprano-playing heart has been usurped by the Martin...
  19. OhioBelle

NUD: True Martin Centennial Soprano

This 1K was dated by the shop to 1933, by the decal on the headstock and the presence of bar frets. So I am calling it a Centennial. Not to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Martin's first ukulele, but the 100th anniversary of Martin's founding. I held this beauty in my arms and felt...
  20. OhioBelle

Outdoor Tenor in Bottle Brown

UKE IS SOLD. Thank you forum! :) $100 shipped to your USA address. This the version with gold tuners as seen in the link to Outdoor's site, plus an added gold strap pin on the end. I think the gold looks great with the brown, and coordinates well with the Outdoor logo on the headstock and...