Search results

1. Lalz

GNUF UU Get Together?

Hiya fellow ukers! Getting ready for the Grand Northern Ukulele Festival in Huddersfield UK this weekend! Who else is going? Shall we have a UU meet up on Friday at Krabbers performance? It's at The Keys Restaurant and Coffee House at 7-9pm (free for ticket holders, 5 quid for others). Next...
  2. Lalz

Uncle Elvis in Newcastle!

I had the pleasure to attend one of Uncle Elvis's gigs tonight. What a brilliant gig that was! Great music, great laughs. Best night I've had in a long time! :rock: UU has got some really talented members.
  3. Lalz

Maso Rivera playing tiny cuatros

This video is so good, I just have to share it. Puerto Rican musician Maso Rivera playing a series of really tiny cuatros and a couple of bigger ones :) Fab!
  4. Lalz

Hip-hop (U)-bass tabs?

Hi all! I just started playing the U-Bass and am having lots of fun with it, mostly playing along my favourite hip-hop, R&B and drum-n-bass tracks. But there's only so much I can figure out by ear. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that breaks down basslines from hip-hop...
  5. Lalz

Grand Northern Ukulele Festival 2015 - Workshops announced!

Hello hello! I just got an email from GNUF (Huddersfield, Yorkshire) that they've just announced their workshops for this year's festival! http://northernuke.com/2015/workshops/ The list is brilliant, I'm planning on going to two workshops a day: Saturday: - BEN ROUSE - Ukulele Bass - AARON...
  6. Lalz

Countryman UB U-Bass

Good news! If you're in the UK, there's a couple of online shops that sell the new Countryman U-Bass! It's a pretty nice quality one, similar to Kala ones I've tried, and only costs about 150 quid at Southern Ukulele Store and Omega Music, which is much much cheaper than other similar ubasses...
  7. Lalz

OUD - Old Uke Day

Did I ever mention I got a Mainland Tenor with red cedar top from Uke Republic, a looong long time ago, in like 2012 I think? No? Here it is then! (Finally got around to photographing it) So: whole solid wood body with red cedar top, rosewood back and sides and amber friction tuners. Tuned...
  8. Lalz

"Could you be? The most beauuuutiful baritone ukulele in the woooorld?"

Thanks Connor and wife :-) I'm not the best person to talk about the actual painting process as I wasn't there when it happened. But in terms of design, what we did was we discussed several options from New Orleans theme to Japanese patterns, looked at lots of other painted ukuleles (and...
  9. Lalz

"Could you be? The most beauuuutiful baritone ukulele in the woooorld?"

Hello fellow ukers! Remember a while back when I was complaining about all baritone ukes looking a bit the same (don't I love complaining) and when TCK in his infinite kindness jumped in to offer to paint one for me? For free! Amazing (This thread: Where are the quirky-looking baritones?)...
  10. Lalz

Ukulele vs. parenting

Had to share this video shot by a friend, it totally cracks me up. Must have watched it like 15 times in a row haha :)
  11. Lalz

Whoops!

I wasn't going to, I swear. I just wanted to pay my little monthly visit to the local Martin C1k, so it wouldn't feel lonely hanging in the shop by itself. Then it happened. I bought a new uke. It just jumped right into my hands out of nowhere, there was nothing I could do! That pesky little...
  12. Lalz

GUW - Good Uke Week!

Hiya good folks of UU! Just a little post to share the good uke week I've been having. GUW item #1: Got my copy of the book "The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant" in the mail the other day. What a fantastic book, highly recommended! GUW item #2: Another...
  13. Lalz

Has anyone else here had this condition? If so, I need you help!

Hiya! Peeking into the forum again after a long absence. As some of you perhaps remember I busted my left wrist on NYE and haven't been able to play properly since then, so I've been a bit sad and frustrated about it and not spending much time here because of it. Still love you all though...
  14. Lalz

Shortbass One

Hello folks! Anyone tried the new Shortbass One by Aquila? I've only seen a couple of videos for it on youtube so far and it seems to sound really good. Almost like a double bass, even without amplification! Any info about electric vs. acoustic, feel of strings, fret vs. fretless etc etc and...
  15. Lalz

New Uke Group in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK - Left Hand Stair Ukes!

I've been a bit out of the loop lately so I've only just found out there is a new uke group in town! Yay, exciting! :) Left Hand Stair Ukes, at Bar Loco (or Barkollo for the purists) on Leazes Park road, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tuesdays 6-8pm. As the name indicates, it's up the stairs on the...
  16. Lalz

Broken wrist - update

Hiya! Remember how I broke my wrist ice-skating on NYE and was told I wouldn't play an instrument for at least 10 weeks? Well, after 6,5 long weeks of wearing a heavy, uncomfortable (yet purple and pretty) cast that prevented me from doing any housework (thank God for my lovely wonderfully...
  17. Lalz

Bracing?

Ok here's something I've been wondering about for a while, and after I watched Aldrine and a Cordoba rep discuss spanish guitar-style fan bracing at NAMM, I though I'd ask the question here: Bracing on ukuleles... ...What different kinds are there? What are the pros and cons of each? How do...
  18. Lalz

Just curious...

...has any EU retailer picked up the new KoAlanas yet? I only see them on the HMS and Baan websites. I know HMS is the exclusive seller in the US but I haven't seen KoAlanas being sold in other parts of the world other than US and Thailand. I'm not on the market for a new uke btw, just...
  19. Lalz

Purple Ferdinand

A friend of mine sent me a link to this new up-and-coming british soul singer who plays a little Mahalo. Simple two chords arrangements (and out of tune in most videos hehe) but wonderful voice and sweet sweet songs. Love it!
  20. Lalz

Flamed vs. curly

I see these two words used a lot to describe patterns in wood but I'm not sure I get what the difference is between the two. Are there significant differences between a flamed vs. curly wood or are these words interchangeable or is one used for certain woods only (flamed maple?) and the other...