Search results

1. B

Collings Doghair Finish Mahogany tenor

Wow. It's so difficult to get that Salt and Pepper Doghair finish right and this one looks perfect. Such a beauty. Good luck with the sale. Bluesy.
  2. B

SOLD _ Kala Elite Solid Honduran Mahogany Tenor

Congratulations! A wonderful price for an excellent instrument. Bluesy.
  3. B

How to take the next step?

Playing with others and learning the pentatonic scales are great next steps. To assist you, you may want to check out some of Stu Fuch's Ukulele Zen's YouTube vids on Pentatonic Scales and improvisation. He provides easy introduction to how to approach improvisation. Playing with a...
  4. B

Harmony Ukulele question

DGBE tuning is no big deal. Play the instrument just like a uke. The chords are the same, just named differently. No problem. Have fun! Bluesy.
  5. B

Harmony Ukulele question

Looks a lot like a Harmony arch top tenor guitar. This one is from the 60's. Very cool looking. Bluesy.
  6. B

Aaron/anaka fixed my VIP account.

Thank you Aaron and team members! Bluesy.
  7. B

Aaron/anaka fixed my VIP account.

Communicated with him some day ago and GOT A MESSAGE TODAY THAT IT WAS FIXED AND IT IS!!!!!!!!! Bluesy.
  8. B

Humidity questions

Another North Carolinian here. In winter, gas heat will suck all of the humidity out of our home. I use Boveda packs to keep my solid wood ukes at proper humidity levels and monitor them in the winter months with Inkbird Hygrometers. These are small enough to tuck into a case. Inkbird...
  9. B

NUD KoAloha yay!

Oh it's a real beaut! Congratulations on the new uke and for working your way through a very frustrating situation to a very bright NUD. Bluesy.
  10. B

what are you reading?

If you're interested in WWII, Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series is incredibly well researched. He's was a master of plot and story telling. He won a Pulitzer for Dragon's Teeth. I recently finished the 11th book and didn't want to see the series it end, and I have never gotten hooked by a...
  11. B

Covid Booster

Same here. Piece of cake for us. Bluesy.
  12. B

Strap Pros and Cons?

Such a great idea for an alternate uke leash config. Thanks for the suggestion. Always looking for new ways to do things, Bluesy.
  13. B

Fountain Pens and Paper

You can spend a little or a lot. The flexibility and width of the nib means everything. Consider a reconditioned vintage pen with a 14K nib. Writing with the flexibility of 14K is heavenly. Some people love narrow nibs for a fine delicate line, others prefer broad strokes. The key is that...
  14. B

Strap Pros and Cons?

I use a Uke Leash. I just can't bear the thought of drilling holes in that gorgeous wood. Bluesy.
  15. B

Arthritis and Strings..

No worries on either end of it: Beau Hannam has the easy way to restring, guaranteeing you retain the correct string length to wind. (When I grow up, I want a one of his instruments!) Bluesy.
  16. B

Arthritis and Strings..

You were sweet to write. I ended up watching the earlier video that Aldrine mentions and it was also really illuminating. Yes, I wasn't holding my uke at the optimal angle. I tweeked my technique to mirror what was recommended and was pretty surprised at the improvement it made with my left...
  17. B

Impressions of the HMS Membership Lessons

I agree that Mika's a great as a performer and a teacher. I just thought he was wrapping a good lesson inside a practical joke. A little lighthearted ribbing here. Bluesy.
  18. B

Impressions of the HMS Membership Lessons

Yes, this is where I stand too. I'm self taught so I tend to watch everything b/c there can always be one little nugget of wisdom shared. I've watched them all and gleaned minimal bits from the videos, yet having said that I must admit I do enjoy them. I'd like to hope that they will...
  19. B

Arthritis and Strings..

Just take one small step today and don't think about all that string changing. Just set up your changing station with a nice towel laid down on your table and set out whatever tools you'll need. Select the strings you want to try and the uke that you want to change. Set your laptop or tablet...
  20. B

Arthritis and Strings..

I'm never too concerned about ruining a string, but I am fussy about protecting the ukulele's top. The only precaution I take is to place a series of 3 inch square Post It notes below the bridge. Losing control over the string can happen. It can save your uke's top from a ding or scratch...