Search results

1. Steve vanPelt

In the Shark Tank

Any one else see The Compass Rose ukulele featured on Shark Tank tonight? Played by Ingrid Michaelson. A Koaloha was on too. Well done Rick and Okami family.
  2. Steve vanPelt

Eight string strung

It's been about a year in the works, off and on, a lot of help from my friends, and even more design as I go, and finally got this strung up last night. No wonder 8 strings are popular, these are cool! It still needs a little action tweak, but I'll let the strings, and everything else settle a...
  3. Steve vanPelt

Another shout out for Timbuck

Just got a package via Royal Mail from Ken. It was the fret wire tang removal jig Ken made and offered up for the cost of shipping. Thank you SO much, Ken. This is quite the set up. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but do have one bound fret board to put some wire in soon. Can't wait to use...
  4. Steve vanPelt

Lacey update from Duke of Pearl

Chuck Erikson posted an update of recent developments regarding the Lacey Act over on another forum. You can read it here... http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=35405 Steve
  5. Steve vanPelt

Cardinal UV gloss

A couple months ago I decided to give the UV finish thing a try. I was pretty impressed with the finishes Mike DaSilva and Joe Souza are getting with the stuff. Plus it's plenty hard and tough. And goes on thin. The topper was that, being pretty new to this craft, I wanted to be able to string...
  6. Steve vanPelt

Eight string spacing

What is a playable string spacing on an eight string uke. Search turned up 2mm for the C course on a six string. Is that between, or centered? Is that enough for the octaved G's? An idea of nut width and string spacing at the bridge would be a huge help, too. thanks, Steve
  7. Steve vanPelt

Ukes at Healdsburg

Just back from the Healdsburg Guitar Festival and am happy to report a stronger than expected showing of ukuleles there. There is a post in uke talk about Michi Matsuda's truly original take on an uke...that instrument was WAY cool. A few other guitar builders had an uke or two, including Ken...
  8. Steve vanPelt

Three new koa tenors

Started these in July and August. Took about a month apiece, not including dry time. Two of them have Misi Trios installed. I'm still a long way from understanding what makes these things tick, but the adjustments from uke to uke are getting smaller. They're fun to play and I find myself...
  9. Steve vanPelt

A new kind of curl

I've seen curly koa labled all kinds of different things, compression, fiddle, crush, etc., but this is a new one on me.:D HAWAIIAN KOA M98 39.5 x 6.5 x 2.25 Compassion curled. Quartersawn. Great dark orange, red, gold tones. Great for one project. Enjoy!!! Buyer to pay actual shipping cost...
  10. Steve vanPelt

Just in case

Well, almost, but not quite. Learn something every day.:p
  11. Steve vanPelt

Can we talk about epoxy sensitivity?

I've been reading a lot about folks having some pretty severe reactions when using epoxy. I've heard both that ' you either have it or you don't ' and ' you can build up sensitivity over time. ' I've used epoxy in one form or another maybe 100 times in my life and have never had a problem...
  12. Steve vanPelt

Jake in Reno

Anyone else going back to the Nugget to see Jake this weekend?
  13. Steve vanPelt

Tad's tenor build

Tad is an 'uke playing friend of my parents. At my mom's request, I offered to build an 'uke to give him. I've given most of the 'ukes I've made away to family and friends, but always after they were complete, never built for someone while they watched, so this is a first. Also my first build...
  14. Steve vanPelt

learning the hard way

The good thing about learning the hard way is that the lessons will likely be well learned. I always try to do one new thing on each 'uke I build. This one I tried 10 new cosmetic things I've never done before. The new stuff came out ok, more or less, a few glitches, but ok. The stuff that got...
  15. Steve vanPelt

Z-POXY : Love it or hate it?

I LOVE this stuff! A few pics after 3 thin coats, before sanding the last one.
  16. Steve vanPelt

Whew. Un-clenched after 3 days

Never thought one little end graft could give me such fits. Been working on it for three days. *breathing again* It was one of the hardest woodworking tasks I have ever done, 'ukulele or otherwise. I don't think I can even work anymore today. And to think some folks do this sort of thing every...
  17. Steve vanPelt

YMMV - observations of a build

OK, so here goes. A while back I planned on doing a series of builds to try to find my way around the sound box to help me figure out what makes them tick. This is the first in the series. On the next few builds I will change a parameter or two on each and try to observe how this changes the...
  18. Steve vanPelt

Experi'ukes.....chasing tone

It seems like it's been a long, cold, wet winter. Spent my free days in the shop cleaning, re-arranging, built some shelves' added some lights and some circuits. Spent evenings reading up on how to build a better sounding instrument. From builders' websites to forums on the internetz to books...
  19. Steve vanPelt

'ukulele sighting on CSI New York

Tonight's CSI New York featured the song, Soul Sister, by San Francisco band, Train, with the 'ukulele as the lead instrument.
  20. Steve vanPelt

Dehumidifier Question

Thought I could spend the next four months making jigs and sweeping, but now I can see that's not going to happen. It's raining and 100% humidity and I don't want to make any more potato chips like what happened in the spring, so I'm going to have to dehumidify the shop. I've been researching...