Search results

1. BlackBearUkes

So many gems

That was fun to watch. Having made 8 violins myself when I was a pro luthier, I recognize all the gouges, scrapes, gauges and different tools involved in violin making. While the video shows much of the techniques in using the tools, all the reasons, measurements, etc. are missing, but of course...
  2. BlackBearUkes

I am doing things wrong again?

My experience has been, the people who making a living playing and writing music, don't care about instruments with a lot of bling or are overly expensive, they care about sound and quality built. Plus, who wants to travel with a $15000 guitar. Although, I have to admit, some classical guitars...
  3. BlackBearUkes

Repairing lifted bridge Amahi

As suggested, remove the bridge, clean off all the old glue from the top and bridge, use Titebond red cap glue, clamp, clean up the side and let it cure one day and you're good to go.
  4. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Concert Mango Uke by Black Bear

SOLD This is a new concert size uke made of wormy Mango with great colored wood with some figure. This Mango is well seasoned, over 30 years. Although the mango does have worm holes, there are no worms, very unique looking wood. The neck is also made of the same Mango and does have a truss rod...
  5. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Concert Macadamia Wood uke by Black Bear

This is a new concert size uke made of solid Macadamia wood for the body. This beautiful wood has lots of sparkle and figure. It is well seasoned, at least 21 years, and is quarter-sawn for maximum strength and sound. The neck is Mango wood with a truss rod. Bolivian rosewood fingerboard and...
  6. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Soprano Russian Olive Wood Uke by Black Bear

SOLD This is another new soprano size uke made of 15 year old solid Russian Olive wood for the body and head plate. Very warm gold/green color and richness to the wood. The neck is old colorful Mango wood (some very few small worm holes, but no worms) and a truss rod. Hardwood fingerboard and...
  7. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Soprano Honey Locust Ukuleles by Black Bear

SOLD This is another new soprano size uke made of 12 year old solid Honey Locust wood for the body. Very warm gold honey color and richness to the wood. The neck is old colorful Mango wood with a truss rod. Hardwood fingerboard made of Bolivian rosewood, also with a rosewood bridge. White...
  8. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Soprano Apricot Fruit Wood Uke by Black Bear

SOLD This is another new soprano size uke made of 12 year old solid Apricot fruit wood for the body. Very nice color and richness to the wood. The neck is old colorful Mango wood with a truss rod. Hardwood fingerboard made of rosewood, also with a rosewood bridge. White plastic dots for the...
  9. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Pineapple Mahogany Soprano Uke by Black Bear

This is a new soprano size pineapple uke made of all Honduran Mahogany for the body. The neck is Mango wood with a graphite truss rod. The neck wood does have old worm holes but absolutely no worms or bugs of any kind. I use this wood because it is unique and works well. The finger board and...
  10. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Pineapple Soprano Brazilian Rosewood Uke by Black Bear

Here is another new soprano size pineapple shaped uke I completed recently. It is the sister to other Brazilian uke listed on this board. It is made of 30 year old colorful Brazilian Rosewood for the body, head plate, fingerboard and bridge. The top and back plates are a single piece of...
  11. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Soprano Rosewwod Ukulele by Black Bear

I am re-listing this uke because it was returned. It did not meet the buyers needs. I have also done some small refinishing in areas I thought needed attention. It is in new condition, plays great and sounds wonderful with clear ringing trebles and excellent sustain. I have no more of this...
  12. BlackBearUkes

FS: Vintage Gibson Mandolin A Style

This is not a uke, but a very old Gibson Mandolin I am offering for sale. When it came to me, it was in dire straights and at best could be a wall hanger if left alone. The finish was ruined and the fingerboard was flaking apart and brittle because of the age of the ebony, the frets were...
  13. BlackBearUkes

FS: Older wooden banjo uke, plays great.

Here is an older banjo uke I recently acquired and am now offering for sale. It is in very good condition for it's age and is all original. It plays well and is a fun bit of uke history.There is no name or indication of when it was made. The woods are mahogany. The frets are brass and there are...
  14. BlackBearUkes

DS: New Concert Uke Spruce/Rosewood by Black Bear

I am relisting this uke because it needs to be played and enjoyed. It was built in April of this year and is in new condition. This is a new concert size uke made of some very nice woods for the body. The top is book matched Sitka spruce that is light in weight and very even grain lines some...
  15. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Soprano Koa Uke by Black Bear

Here is a new soprano size uke I completed this week. It is made of 40 year old colorful Koa for the body. The neck is Mango wood with a graphite truss rod. Although the mango does have worm holes, there are no worms, very unique looking wood. There are 12 frets to the body, 15 total. Indian...
  16. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Koa Pineapple Soprano by Black Bear

This is a new soprano size pineapple uke made of all Hawaiian Koa wood for the body. The neck is Mango wood with a truss rod.The rosette is 2 maple rings. There are 14 frets to the body, 16 total with a 13 5/8" playing scale. Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. White plastic fingerboard dots with...
  17. BlackBearUkes

Two used banjo ukes in need of TLC.

Here are 2 older soprano scale banjo ukes needing some repair and TLC. One has as 8" diameter pot and nice hardware and 2 necks. It also has a used but good condition calf skin head. The second uke, a Maybell, has a 6" diameter pot with some of the hooks and nuts missing. These can be purchased...
  18. BlackBearUkes

Luthier wood and more for sale by Black Bear Ukes.

Here are 3 new items I am offering the budding luthiers out there. The first item are 3 packages, over 1 oz each, of beautiful green Abalone shell. This shell has many colors of green, blue, pink and red. It is .050 " thick and has various sizes and shapes. If you bought this from the popular...
  19. BlackBearUkes

FS: New Soprano H. Mahogany Uke by Black Bear

Here is a new soprano size uke I completed this week. This uke has no frills but is made with the same high quality materials and methods of construction. It is made of 20 year old Honduran Mahogany for the body. The neck is Mango wood with a truss rod. Although the mango does have worm holes...
  20. BlackBearUkes

Wood for Sale by Black Bear Ukes

For those interested in some very nice RW Cedar, I have some for sale in the Shameless Self Promotion section. I will also be selling some other woods in the near future. Thanks