Search results

1. Peter Frary

Tenor tuning on a baritone...

Nice articles about this topic: https://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/06/18/can-a-baritone-be-tuned-the-standard-gcea/
  2. Peter Frary

Tenor tuning on a baritone...

I've tuned baritones D-G-B-E. You need to use lighter gauge strings or it will be too hard to play. It's not uncommon here in Hawaii as larger guys need the extra space.
  3. Peter Frary

slight change to Uke Crazy polyfoam cases

The interior foam makes these types of cases great for Hawaii—protects your instrument like a picnic cooler while in your car trunk. However Uke Crazy quality is terrible and they fall apart quickly. I tossed mine in the trash and replaced it with a Gator poly foam case. Same thermo protection...
  4. Peter Frary

Moving from a bass Facebook group to here.

Yeah FB is a never ending stream of posts: difficult to search and find things compared to an electronic bulletin board or forum format. Plus FB is full of angry and crazy people! This forum is based on ancient 1990s design but works much better than Discord and FB as a discussion forum.
  5. Peter Frary

Seated Playing

My wife likes to use a footstool while playing 'ukulele and I've seen Daniel Ho do it sometimes. I find the footstool too low for me so I play strapped sitting or standing. Plus both hands are free to do stuff like adjust mic stands and play small percussion.
  6. Peter Frary

Would Classical guitar strings work on a tenor?

Like I said, string are strings, except when they're fishing line. Some 'ukulele strings are literally re-packaged fishing line! My fav are Seaguar Pink.
  7. Peter Frary

Did anyone else name their ukulele?

I just go with their given names: Mari, Coco, MT-E, Koa Elite, Doghair Elite (Dog for short) and Bonanza Cherry.
  8. Peter Frary

Why not buy a 1/2 sized guitar instead of a guitarlele?

Kremona makes the Mari and Coco 'ukuleles in standard 4-string tenor, concert and soprano sizes. The Coco is the loudest 'ukulele I have ever played. Both my Mari and Coco broke in nicely and record well. Both are lookers. Hopefully, Cordoba has improved its quality control. I bought 4 Mini and...
  9. Peter Frary

I really like Kremona's instruments. I have one of their 7-string classicals and two tenor 'ukuleles. The Kremona Mari was my gateway drug to the 'ukulele world.
  10. Peter Frary

Actually, that was true for classical guitar a few decades back. Now you can take your pick of nylon, fluorocarbon, composite polymer, Nylgut, thin twisted metal wrapped in nylon tape, etc. I haven't used a pure nylon set on my classicals since the late 1980s. Most of us—classical guitar...
  11. Peter Frary

Strings are strings. Jake likes D'Addario Pro Arte classical guitar strings, but he goes for the heavier gauges. I buy D'Addario Pro Arte classical guitar string singles for my classical guitars and have many times used them on my tenor 'ukuleles. I used the .028" nylon for the 1st string; .032"...
  12. Peter Frary

The Mini II is a different model a few years removed from the Mini, and it's a new design. So maybe they fixed the QC problems. They do feel more like a classical guitar than a guitarlele.
  13. Peter Frary

Cordoba's specs for nut width and scale tend to vary with individual models. I've owned four different models from the original Mini series and they were all different from the published specs. For example, the nut width (measured with calipers) varied from 47mm to 50mm. I'm guessing different...
  14. Peter Frary

If you prefer standard guitar tuning, the Mini II has a longer scale and is better for E to E tuning. The original Mini series (20"/511mm) works best for A to A or G to G tuning. My calipers measured the Mini R nut at 50mm, compared to 47mm for the Mini SM-CE. I played my student's Mini II, but...
  15. Peter Frary

I wrote a review of my Cordoba Mini R, and included sound samples. It's a near twin of the Mini M: same design body design, solid spruce top and ply back and sides. The Mini R back and sides are rosewood ply but, honestly, the rosewood is about as thick as a sheet of paper (I drilled a hole for...
  16. Peter Frary

My Cordoba review: Cordoba Mini Review
  17. Peter Frary

The various Spanish and Japanese made requintos are designed to be tuned A to A but tend to have a little longer scale than guitarleles and baritone 'ukuleles. Even Jose Ramirez and Alhambra make a few models. Lots of people tune them G to G to mellow out the tension. And then there are the alto...
  18. Peter Frary

Anyone play nylon guitar over a steel string?

I use my "nylon" string guitars for basically every style I play, albeit I certainly play classical guitar a lot. Yeah, labels are tricky. I'm old enough to remember many people referring to this type of guitar as gut-string guitar and Spanish guitar. I haven't used a pure set of nylon strings...
  19. Peter Frary

Gardening and fingernails, a terrible combo

I garden daily and keep my right-hand nails intact and usually perfect. However, I'm careful and normally grab most things with my left-hand. If I need the right-hand for serious work, I wear gloves.
  20. Peter Frary

What's your favorite ukulele body size? why?

I prefer the tenor, mainly because the scale length is the most comfortable for my hands. A long scale tenor, 18 or 19 inches is every more comfy.