Search results

1. Pirate Jim

FS: Pono Big Baritone (UK)

I'm going to be popping my big baritone on eBay in the next week or two but thought I'd give UU first refusal. It's the BN-1 model, so the "basics" version they did a small run of with the paddle headstock and satin finish. It's in flawless condition. It's a genuinely fantastic instrument, it's...
  2. Pirate Jim

Raining in Baltimore - Counting Crows - baritone instrumental

Second time lucky on posting this in the correct place... The uke is a Pono baritone nui, all acacia. The piece is my own arrangement of the song. Hope you enjoy!
  3. Pirate Jim

Raining in Baltimore - Counting Crows - baritone instrumental

Nothing to see here Accidental post to wong board, if a mod sees this please remove!
  4. Pirate Jim

Aqualung - Strange & Beautiful (baritone instrumental)

First video ever so please be gentle! Recorded on phone so sound quality pretty garbage. My own arrangement, I did record a version that was the full length of the song but as it's just alternating A and B parts I thought it was a bit boring.
  5. Pirate Jim

Marshall Stapleton 19" scale tenor FS - OPEN TO OFFERS

Hi all, Last year I picked up what I thought was my absolute dream uke - a beautiful 19" tenor uke made by UK luthier Marshall Stapleton. Original SUS listing is here: https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/marshall-stapleton-long-neck-tenor-ukulele-dgbe-tuning-sinker-redwood-birdseye-maple/...
  6. Pirate Jim

Returning to guitar - steel or nylon?

Hi guitar playing UUers, I'm currently making a return to guitar after a long hiatus, it just suddenly began calling to me again. I've picked up a beaten up old steel string for cheap to get going again and am having fun (it doesn't look great, but the neck is true and the action nice). I'm...
  7. Pirate Jim

Upgrade from friction pegs to Pegheds

As some of you may have seen, I recently got a tenor Fluke: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?138888-NUD-Finally-joined-the-club-Koa-Tenor-Fluke! It had the friction tuners which I didn't mind - I've quite liked them on sopranos and concerts I've had. In the end, they needed...
  8. Pirate Jim

World of Ukes Clarity strings

Last year I picked up a tenor set of the strings Matt at World of Ukes developed with Worth. They're clear fluorocarbon and he says they're optimised for finger picking (a claim I was dubious about - strings are strings, right?). I've finally played them for a month or so and, as there's not...
  9. Pirate Jim

FS: Bonanza Flatlander Concert Uke - UK / EU

I'm embarking on a ruthless clear out - if it's not played weekly then it's not sticking around. Here we have a HPL Bonanza Flatlander concert scale uke (Bonanza #93, built September 2016). If you're not familiar with Bonanza, there's a lot of threads about them on the boards and Baz did a...
  10. Pirate Jim

FS: Omega Klassiko Concert Prototype - UK / EU

I'm embarking on a ruthless clear out - if it's not played weekly then it's not sticking around. Here we have the prototype for the Omega Klassico ukuleles. Only 20 made of each size, only 1 prototype made and this is that prototype! I bought it from Matt at Omega (now at World of Ukes) when...
  11. Pirate Jim

The best £50 I ever spent?

Meet Alic. About 4 or 5 years ago I shelled out £50 on impulse to try this little thing out. Plastic back, plywood top, awful holographic thing on it, plastic fretboard. Just reading that makes me want to go back in time and stop myself! The thing is, though, this uke sounds far better than it...
  12. Pirate Jim

NUD: Finally joined the club... Koa Tenor Fluke!

I've hankered after a Fluke for a long time but the selection on these shores is always limited (rarely see the solid tops or wood fretboards) and I could never justify the cost of importing, taxes, etc. I was delighted to discover two things yesterday: A koa tenor Fluke for sale A uke...
  13. Pirate Jim

Your favourite low G resources?

I know this is a resurrection of an oft-discussed topic but my searching skills have failed me (feel free to point me to relevant threads!). I'm returning to low G again after a long hiatus and just have no idea what to do with it. What are your favourite things to play or resources to check out?
  14. Pirate Jim

Belated NUD: Pono UL4N-2

So I picked this up secondhand a week or two ago. I've been selling off many ukes (some still to go) to scale down but I developed a hankering for a bigger baritone after my baritone went. I like the deeper sound of a baritone but have found the ones I've played to sound muddy when strummed and...
  15. Pirate Jim

Pono UL4N string recommendation?

I've just picked up one of these: https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-deluxe-mahogany-ul-nylon-baritone-ul4n-2.html It's secondhand and could use a new set of strings. Scale length is longer than a baritone at 21.4 inches. Should I just stick some baritone strings on there? I got this because...
  16. Pirate Jim

FS: 2018 Pono MTD-SP tenor uke with pod case UK / EU

I've recently moved house and so I'm using it as an opportunity to have a bit of a clear out. I've been listing a few ukes, all have been well cared for in a smoke free home. Next up is my Pono MTD-SP tenor ukulele with a pod case. This is the uke that got me back into tenors after a couple of...
  17. Pirate Jim

Pono Deluxe vs Pro Classic

I've managed to find very little discussion on this topic, only one or two threads that went off topic pretty quickly. I've got a Pono deluxe tenor (spruce top, mahog body). It's got: Gloss finish on the body Satin neck Radius fretboard Ebony fretboard Can someone who's played both the...
  18. Pirate Jim

D'addario EJ65S soprano D tuning strings

I have found that I much prefer D tuning on a soprano to C. You lose some of that soprano warmth but you gain plenty in clarity and I like the extra string tension. I also find a lot of songs I play with others suit open position chords in D tuning better than in C which is a happy side-effect...
  19. Pirate Jim

FS: Lani solid spruce top baritone + gig bag UK / EU

I've recently moved house and so I'm using it as an opportunity to have a bit of a clear out. I'll be listing a few ukes over the coming months, all have been well cared for in a smoke free home. Next up is a Lani baritone uke. I used to play this baritone a lot and as a result it has two...
  20. Pirate Jim

FS: Pilgrim Resonator Concert Banjo Uke UK/EU

Hi all, I've recently moved house and so I'm using it as an opportunity to have a bit of a clear out. I'll be listing a few ukes over the coming months, all have been well cared for in a smoke free home. First up is a Pilgrim Perfomer Resonator banjo uke. I got this a few years back from Omega...