Search results

1. T

Using CNC To Build Ukuleles - Good or Bad?

I'll agree the CNC end takes a lot of work, for me at least. The software I'm using is rather primitive, requiring a fair bit of testing and adjusting with scrap wood before I'm willing to stick my good wood under the cutter. But it's part of the path I've chosen for my own work flow. If I was...
  2. T

Build thread: baritone scale kiku

I've lagged a bit on the kiku project, letting some other non-musical woodcraft projects divert my attention, but it's inching toward completion. I'd hoped to have it done by the end of October, but it's looking like that date is pushed back a bit.
  3. T

Using CNC To Build Ukuleles - Good or Bad?

As a hobbyist, I've used a cheap desktop CNC to do a few things like cut peghead routing templates, wood inlay pieces, and bridges. It did some of those things with more precision than my meager skills are capable of producing, especially cutting saddle slots. As I build ukes to satisfy my own...
  4. T

Parallel builds

A newly bent tenor ukulele side cooling in the building form, with its mate next to it and the nearly finished kiku in the background.
  5. T

What's happening in your shed?

One of the projects I've been working on this week is a portable Moxon vise for my shop. All of the wood came from scraps I've had in storage for the better part of two decades.
  6. T

I'll be spending much of this gloomy Friday cleaning my little basement shop. I've been working on several concurrent projects, and the room is in a bit of a state, to say the least.
  7. T

I've got the TAS again

Yep, I have a Delta scroll saw gathering dust under my workbench. My small Craftsman bench top bandsaw does fine for small stuff like cutting plates, and my larger Shopsmith bandsaw does duty for cuts requiring a bit more Ooomph.
  8. T

This little guy arrived in my mailbox today, to be used in shaving the many tiny tone bars in the two kasha ukes I'm building. My Ibex palm plane is a bit too cumbersome for that task.
  9. T

Parallel builds

Rough cutting the peghead and Black Walnut overlays on the tenor ukulele neck.
  10. T

Parallel builds

Didn't think of that. First time working with American Chestnut for me. This wood is over 100 years old, so I'm not sure how much tannin would be left.
  11. T

Parallel builds

Actual router, even a laminate trimmer, has a stronger motor and better bearings. And I can use bits with either 1/8" or 1/4" shafts in the router shown in the image.
  12. T

Parallel builds

Using a DIY mini-sled and a palm router to flatten the back of the second of two ukulele pegheads. I also used the platform and a different bit to rout the saddle slot on the Osage Orange bridge blank to the right.
  13. T

How young is too young for a first uke?

She calls all my ukes "little guitars". She doesn't seem interested in learning the name "ukulele". Another reason I don't think she's ready.
  14. T

It's not always about ukes

Not all of my woodcraft is about ukuleles. I spent a fair bit of time this afternoon flattening the back of a Black Walnut bowl blank that had been drying in my garage for 12 years or so. The process involved scribbling cross-hatched pencil marks all over the side that needed flattened, then...
  15. T

How young is too young for a first uke?

My 6 yo granddaughter has asked me to build her a "little guitar" like mine that is small enough for her. I have talked with my wife about it, but while the girl is smart and well beyond her age in math acuity, she is also very busy and already thinks she knows better than most adults. I've...
  16. T

Parallel builds

I got my O.O. fretboard blanks from a place called Appalachian Tonewoods, who is building a business as a supplier of locally harvested woods. We see O.O. in the wild around here some, where it was transplanted from the OK/TX area, but it is not common. It is mostly smaller trees, but I know...
  17. T

Parallel builds

Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise. Osage Orange darkens as it oxidizes, and I've been laying them out in the sun to get more UV exposure. That ribbon of grain began to appear after a couple of days in the sun, and has gotten darker over the past week or so.
  18. T

Baritone fretboard

I used one of those MGB baritone uke kits for a large cigar box uke. It's not a bad price for what you get, but the heel is rather short. I'm also wondering how much shipping from Florida to the UK would hurt.
  19. T

Parallel builds

After a productive day in the shop, the Chestnut ukulele necks are rough tapered, the heels roughly shaped, and the peghead "ears" glued on and flattened. On to carving.
  20. T

Although I have an adequate supply of power tools, sometimes I just want the quiet of a hand tool. In fact, there's a part of me that wishes I had the courage to divest myself of power tools and go totally unplugged. Then there's the other part of me that reminds me I couldn't cut a straight...