Search results

1. Jim Yates

Season #502 - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma!

Welcome to SOTU #502 - Parodies "Look What They've Done To My Song Ma!" September 26 I hope this hasn't been done recently. I know it hasn't been done since I became a Seasonista. Homer Haynes and Jethro Burns, Homer & Jethro, were the masters at taking well known songs and writing new...
  2. Jim Yates

My First appearance on YouTube

In 2008/2009 I met a couple of ukulele players, John Bird and David Newland who got me interested in adding the uke to my instrument arsenal. David co-hosted Toronto's Corktown Ukulele Jam and I had just gotten a $40 ukulele and since the admission was free if you had a uke with you, I took it...
  3. Jim Yates

How to do split screen?

I have a few songs I'd like to do with some harmony or instrumental duets/trios. . . I have seen a few folks do split screen singing and playing. Do I need a special program to do this?
  4. Jim Yates

A Neat Instrument To Play With Ukulele

Looks like a foot operated bass accordion:
  5. Jim Yates

Sweet Georgia Brown Changes

Here's a video that I made for the local Cobourg Ukulele Club, AKA C'Ukes, but I thought I'd share it here too.
  6. Jim Yates

"Separation Blues" & "Keep Your Hands Off Her"

Here's my first Quarentine Video. It's a medley of Patrick Sky's "Separation Blues" and Lead Belly's "Keep Your Hands Off Her" . It would work better on a low G uke, but mine is in Stratford. I wish I'd either got a haircut or at least brushed it. . .or worn a hat. Patrick Sky sang: Well...
  7. Jim Yates

Kyle's version of Grandfather's Clock

I don't know if this'll work, but here's a video of one of my first Ukulele students, Kyle, from about a decade ago. Kyle and I used to call his mom down at the end of each lesson for a mini-concert and she decided to record this one. I goofed a bit, but he did a great job. Kyle is a grown up...
  8. Jim Yates

Mr. Noah

Last summer there was a really high water level on the Port Hope Waterfront Trail and this tune came into my head. I learned it from the Dave Van Ronk - Folksinger LP in the mid-sixties, but had forgotten about it.
  9. Jim Yates

Seasonistas?

I often see posts that refer to "Seasonistas" and folks seem toknow what they mean by that term, but I am unfamiliar with it. Please help me out.
  10. Jim Yates

Strap pins

I'll never understand why ukuleles come with no strap pin installed. While it is possible to strum open first position chords without a strap, any up the neck closed chords or chord melody playing is nearly impossible to play standing and holding the uke without a strap.
  11. Jim Yates

An Aspiring Reso-Uker?

Maggie and I had our 3 year old grandson, Mickey, for a sleepover last weekend and he seemed fascinated with the reso-uke. He had an unorthodox style, but was singing Abiyoyo.
  12. Jim Yates

Irwin banjolele

This seems like a very reasonable price for a banjolele that is playable and has a acceptable sound. Has anyone tried them? Are they any good...
  13. Jim Yates

Kala KA-KC and Oscar Schmidt OU-5 koa concert ukulele

I am planning on upgrading and would like to get rid of a couple of ukuleles. One of them was a gift and I have no recollection how much I paid for the other. I'd like some advice on what to charge for these ukes. The only modifications to them were strap pins added in the tail block...
  14. Jim Yates

Ukulele Lady - Jim & Steph Yates - Christmas 2009

Sorry, but I can't seem to figure out how to put this video on this site. Here's a link to the Facebook video for you Facebook users. This was Christmas, 2009 at my sister's house in Stratford. My brother and I had just taught Ukulele Lady to my niece, Steph, and I liked the way she had...
  15. Jim Yates

Same Title - Different Song

Different songs with the same title: I first noticed this at my Aunt Vera's hundredth birthday. She had asked the piano player, a friend of the family, if he could play Have I Told You Lately That I Love You. He played the song written by Van Morrison and made famous by Rod Stewart. Auntie...
  16. Jim Yates

Filipino banduria.

My son and his wife brought me back this Filipino banduria from the Philippines. It has 14 strings arranged in six courses and to reduce my learning curve, I have it tuned E-AA-DD-GGG-BBB-EEE.
  17. Jim Yates

Did I Make This Up? Or Did I Hear It Someplace?

Here's a simple little tune that just seemed to come out of my fingers when I picked up a ukulele tonight. Is it someone else's of did I make it up? It's just a little 3 chord special, but I really like it. Kinda sloppy, but I don't want to do it again.
  18. Jim Yates

UK Dream Ukulele - Anyone tried one of these?

http://www.banggood.com/21-Soprano-Ukulele-Lovely-Musical-Instrument-Black-Guitar-Rosewood-p-1062647.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=zia&utm_campaign=music-uku-rm-n30&utm_design=40
  19. Jim Yates

Ukulele Lady

About a decade ago, I taught my niece, Steph, Ukulele Lady and we recorded it on her laptop. This was at a Christmas celebration at my sister's house, and since the family was all there, we got them to join in for a line each. Steph and I are the only two who realized that the computer was...
  20. Jim Yates

Famous uke players who did not gain their fame from playing ukulele.

Another thread, posted by Greenie44, shows a famous uke player, Francis Ford Coppola, who gained his fame in another genre. Rather than hi-jack his thread, I thought it best to start a new one. I wonder how many of these we can find. I'll start. While this guy did gain fame for his music, he...