Search results

1. Jim Yates

Would anyone like a Halloween concert via Zoom?

Keep us posted Voran.
  2. Jim Yates

Borrow an ‘Ukulele! from Hawaii Public Library

The Colborne, Ontario library also has a ukulele lending program. There is also a Colborne Library Ukulele Band.
  3. Jim Yates

Season 505 - S-P-E-L-L-I-T-O-U-T

'A' You're Adorable Sid Lippman/ Buddy Kaye/ Fred Wise 1948. My friend Rod Simpson, who is a kindergarten teacher and the founder of the Cobourg Ukulele Club (C'ukes) taught this song to the group and seems to just love it, so it gets played at every meeting. It may be one of the "corny" ones...
  4. Jim Yates

Looking for the Am chord in gCEG tuning

If your niece is using a slide, you could try something like fCFC, an open power chord. You'd have to change the string gauge of the first string. you could tune it in unison with the 3rd string. Since the power chord (5 chord) has no third, it could serve as a Major or minor.
  5. Jim Yates

New Member from Kamloops, BC Canada. Hello All

Always nice to see some fellow Canucks on here Barch. Welcome.
  6. Jim Yates

What is the point of plastic ukes?

No one has mentioned the Maccaferri Islander Uke, the original plastic uke, quite popular in the early fifties.
  7. Jim Yates

D-I-V-O-R-C-E by Bobby Braddock, Curly Putman & Billy Connolly When I was in Grade five, our teacher, Mr. Sanderson, would assign each of us the job of entertaining the class for a few minutes when we had a class party. I recall playing my accordion with Ken Laidman, who played steel guitar...
  8. Jim Yates

Just Sharing (on a site where it is appreciated).

If you want to keep using the tenor chord on the baritone, You could just use a different harp. If you're playing C shapes on the baritone, it will be sounding F chords, so you will need an F harp. If you are playing cross harp, instead of an F harp, use a Bb harp. I find that a tenor and a...
  9. Jim Yates

Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother - Ray Wylie Hubbard I was torn between "Here we are in Texas" and "Haggard", but I wanted to use "T-bird", so I couldn't put "Texas" there. I chose "I'd rather step in shit than smoke it" for the bumper sticker over "Goat roper needs love too" or "I'd rather...
  10. Jim Yates

Harping Again (?)

I also have an Echo Super Vamper in A that I bought in Scotland or England when my Marine Band in A crapped out on me while I was hitch-hiking overseas in 1968/69. I went into a music shop and asked for a Marine Band in A. The guy had never heard of a Marine Band. I showed him my busted one...
  11. Jim Yates

Harping Again (?)

I have a couple of Lee Oscars too Dick. I don't find them much different than the Hohners. I believe Carlos del Junco uses the Golden Melodies that you mentioned. I have a 12 hole low C Marine .Band that my ex-father-in-law gave me and a 14 hole low C Marine Band that I bought in the...
  12. Jim Yates

Harping Again (?)

But those blues guys always seemed to be fond of double entendres (or sometimes even single entendres).
  13. Jim Yates

Harping Again (?)

I also have a high F that I seldom play Dick. I usually grab my low F when I need an F harp. I also have a low D and a couple of low Cs. Ed1, If you haven't bought a harp for 50 years, be prepared for a case of sticker shock. Those Marine Bands and Blues Harps that were about two bucks in the...
  14. Jim Yates

Seasonistas on-line get together / open mic

Sorry I had to leave before hearing most of you, but it was great to see your faces after missing so many get togethers.
  15. Jim Yates

SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend

We interrupt this thread to inform you that the wrap is up for Season #502 - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma! Thanks, Back to SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend.
  16. Jim Yates

Season #502 - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma!

"Well it's about time for the wrap Jim." We had a great selection of homemade and obscure parodies this week. Here are the participants: I assigned a number to each participant with only one number per person. I folded the numbers twice and dropped them in a hat. I pulled three numbers...
  17. Jim Yates

Seasonistas on-line get together / open mic

I don't understand the phrase ". . .when you lied and claimed that you own the rights to the work. . .". Most, if not all, of the Liz videos I have watched give full credit to the composer of the piece. Accusing you of lying seems a step over the line; a giant step. I think of your videos as...
  18. Jim Yates

Capo for beginners

A capo can be a very useful tool in some cases. I don't use one to avoid playing chords that are difficult, since the ukulele, having only 4 strings, doesn't have any really difficult chords, but sometimes you want a certain voicing or have worked out a solo or lick in one key that another...
  19. Jim Yates

SEASON 503 "SUPERMARKET SWEEP!!!"

I may be the only one who was unfamiliar with the word pastiche, but in case there are others, this is what Google told me: Pastiche is a "see also" of parody. As nouns the difference between pastiche and parody is that pastiche is a work of art, drama, literature, music, or architecture that...
  20. Jim Yates

Chord shapes (Major, Minor, D7)

This is very comprehensive and useful Sporky. Looks like a lot of work went into it and it's very easy to read. Thanks for sharing it. The middle top Major chord also has a root on the third string.