Search results

1. Kekani

Vacuum bridge clamping

Bob, from 2:28 in the vid I posted, you can see the jig I made, super simple. Its a 3/4” plywood frame, with bladder material from LMI wrapped and stapled on the top, and a tire valve with cross slots cut into it with a hacksaw. There no “seal” per se, and the bladder itself sticks to the...
  2. Kekani

Source of curly walnut and curly maple tenor ukulele neck blanks

Most of my maple comes from Northwest Timber (nwtimber.com). Nice figured walnut as well. I usually don’t use “Red Heart” Maple for the neck, just the bodies because its not always easy to come by. If its a Maple body, its a maple neck. I have a custom neckthrough bass out of Birdseye...
  3. Kekani

Neck blank prep -tenor

I work it at full thickness, including the scarf joint, which is usually 3/4”+, depends if I laminate the neck heel or not (usually I do). This measurement, plus 3 x 1/16” heel laminations put the neck heel right about the 2 1/2” heel block I use, minus the radius, plus the top and back...
  4. Kekani

Precision Circle Cutter

Been loosely working on a jig like this in my mind, for years, based on the Bishop Cochran, but with other than Bosch routers. Didn't need the plunge feature, more the circle cutting feature. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking of this. Now I can just buy one, but better. Aluminum, with...
  5. Kekani

Hot Hide Glue and Vacuum Clamping

Not sure if it's the cross grain, but for sure it's the vacuum press AND hhg. I will say this, when the strips with hhg hit the quilted maple back, there's enough water in the glue that actually made the back convex up. I had to press it the opposite direction into the mold, cover it with...
  6. Kekani

Hot Hide Glue and Vacuum Clamping

Blending “old” tech with “new” tech. HHG, vacuum clamped in a radius mold.
  7. Kekani

What's happening in your shed?

I guess I could, but no. I think this is a form follows function, for me. Honestly, most don’t even notice it, unless its brought up. Note: this is also the reason for the most difficult joint I do - headstock binding/purfling and fretboard binding/purfling. Again, most don’t notice.
  8. Kekani

What's happening in your shed?

Ha, I had to check. It’s a little less than 1/8”. This one is closer to 3/32” on a .200” fretboard. For reference, that’s a 1/8” saddle blank in the pic. The unbound one in the background is closer to 1/8”, about .110”.
  9. Kekani

End Graft?

I had a jig similar to John's, which works well. Now I do it similar to Dave and Mike. I use the actual end graft and treat it like an inlay, by scribing outside the end graft then chiseling out. I used to route it out, but it's just too easy to do it by hand. Unlike Mike, I use the wider...
  10. Kekani

Guidelines for posting in Tech Talk

I've seen a number of posts recently that, admittedly, provide comic relief and a possible "shake the head" reaction. Silence may seem like consent, but lately, especially in Tech Talk (and sometimes the Lounge), its not. Lots of misinformation going out there, which IMHO, can deteriorate the...
  11. Kekani

Bevels - credit where it is due

Conversation came up today in a closed luthier group, so I thought I'd throw it out there for those that don't know. Fill in the Blank: At one point in time, when an instrument had a bevel installed, it was generally known as the _________ Bevel. Note: if you know, you know. But I think...
  12. Kekani

Headstock preference - Single Sided, or . . .

I always support the guild. Ask them tomorrow. Funny that a you mention waves. Since you're from here, you should know who this is.
  13. Kekani

Headstock preference - Single Sided, or . . .

This is not a poll just for discussion, although discussion is certainly welcome. I'd appreciate your input to grab stats on current preferences for headstock design. I, along with some other builders, do different headstocks, and I don't think it's common to do so, outside of doing slotted...
  14. Kekani

New Aaron Oya Spruce/Koa (and Koa) Tenor

Dave, I tried loading it directly, but seem my iPad isn't allowing it right now. Trying again.
  15. Kekani

New Aaron Oya Spruce/Koa (and Koa) Tenor

I've been silently playing with Koa recently, and have done a couple similar to this one. Oddly, from a visual perspective, Zach didn't comment on the Koa, but the Spruce, and the perfectly quartersawn grain with cross silking - Bruce Harvie at Orcas Island always gets me good stuff. This one...
  16. Kekani

Kanikapila Island Showdown Finals! Please vote for us by December 2!

My band, Ke Kani Nahe, is in the finals of a local TV station's Kanikapila Island Showdown. Please log in with an email and created 8 digit password and throw us a vote, and if we win, I may have to give away an ukulele! Sorry, kidding. But we would appreciate your votes. You'll have to...
  17. Kekani

Ke Kani Nahe performs Paina Mix (Sam's Jam)

Ke Kani Nahe performs "Sam's Jam" Ukulele instrumental! This is our bands Final entry into the finals of kitv.com Kajikapila Island Showdown. Comments to us have been that its a ballsy move submitting an instrumental. We like it and hope you do to (and log in to vote for us before December 2...
  18. Kekani

Name that tuner

Okay, make that tuning machine. Just for fun. . .
  19. Kekani

Please Vote for Ke Kani Nahe online

Please Vote for Ke Kani Nahe online by Dec 2 - THE FINALS! Yup, shameless. My group Ke Kani Nahe would appreciate if would sign up and throw a vote our way at the link below. Nope, not me on ukulele- bass is what I play, but don't hold that against me and your vote. Thank you...