Search results

1. bynapkinart

New song — Untangled (Electronic/EDM + Ukulele)

Hi all! I’ve written, performed, and recorded for years but have taken significant time away as my adult life fully set in. Now that I have a little bit more motivation to dive back into songwriting, I’ve been working on incorporating the tools that I know (ukulele, guitar and my voice) with the...
  2. bynapkinart

Valley Made Ukuleles , Made in Hawaii

There are a lot of Valley Made ukes at the Ukulele Store on Lewers in Waikiki….ranging from the base models to some custom/uncommon designs and wood choices. I’ve had mixed opinions. I’d say in general, the build quality is simple and clean and finish is a little heavier applied than Kamaka or...
  3. bynapkinart

Anyone else on here from Hawaii?

Aloha! I’m on the town side but find myself over on windward side often on the weekends
  4. bynapkinart

Which soprano brand would you recommend as a keeper?

I also second the Koaloha soprano as probably the most distinct Hawaiian soprano! Kiwaya and Kamaka make great classic examples as well, the Koalohas just seem to sparkle and shine that bit much more.
  5. bynapkinart

NUD: Pineapple Sunday six string

Well here is a NUD thread I never expected to get to post, but I never imagined I'd get to tell this kind of story. I'm not religious at all but I've always kept an eye on how the universe tends to come together like clockwork in certain ways, and its experiences like these that allow me to feel...
  6. bynapkinart

Good ways to break out of a rut?

I was playing around this weekend and have felt kind of stuck in the same mode for a while...I find myself noodling around on the same old things on both uke and guitar. On Saturday however, I discovered this list of 99 random songs on Ukutabs: https://ukutabs.com/top-tabs/99-random/ I swear I...
  7. bynapkinart

NUD: Kamaka HF-3

Well let's start with the good stuff since that's usually why I open these threads: The album! This will be long so I figure what the heck. I had started a thread a couple of weeks ago (actually has it even been a week??) trying to figure out the best tenor for me to buy with some extra funds...
  8. bynapkinart

KoAloha or Kamaka tenor?

Here’s a quick shot of the Kamaka next to my GS Mini Koa! More pics later this weekend :)
  9. bynapkinart

KoAloha or Kamaka tenor?

So I'm fresh off of finalizing my taxes, and it so happens that this is the first year in many years I'll get a substantial refund. Substantial enough to finally fund something I've been wanting for about 8 years now: a Hawaiian-built Tenor Uke. With pricing now more or less the same across the...
  10. bynapkinart

Road worn ukes

Love this thread! I grew up in Amherst myself and can think of a couple of stores you probably bought that uke at...one has since bit the dust but I think the other one is marching on. My contribution to this is my 1928 Johnny Marvin signature. Bought off of an eccentric man dressed in a...
  11. bynapkinart

NUD: First baritone

I meant to post these earlier but here are a few pics...maybe someone can help identify this uke? Sound sample to come tonight!
  12. bynapkinart

NUD: First baritone

So I've kind of been falling out of ukulele for the past 6 or so months...I'm a guitar player and songwriter first and for whatever reason I was feeling "stuck" with ukulele after having played it much more than guitar for the past couple of years. I had looked at baritones but because I've...
  13. bynapkinart

FS/FT: Pono PKT-1E solid koa tenor

Hey all, Hate to let this one go but an opportunity has arisen and I need to fund it by selling one of my favorites. This is an awesome tenor I've had for a little over a year and a half, from when Pono did koa ukes. They only did these for a few years and then switched to acacia. Specs are...
  14. bynapkinart

Shopping for ukes in Boulder, CO

Hey all, I just moved to Boulder yesterday and I'm going to need to find some great shops in the area, does anyone know/can anyone suggest a great uke shop or two? Thanks!
  15. bynapkinart

Not ukulele related - keep Boston in your thoughts

Just wanted to say that my heart goes out to everyone at the marathon today...growing up in Massachusetts, Patriot's Day is one of those very special occasions. You get to wake up, watch the Marathon start, watch the Sox game, see the finish of the marathon and usually catch a Bruins game in...
  16. bynapkinart

Kanile'a factory featured in new Eddie Vedder video

I always liked this song, and the video for it looks like it's shot at the Kanile'a factory! Very cool, short and sweet! Say what you will about EV, I know he's not everyone's favorite (I like him), he's doing some great things for ukes and Hawaiian-made ukes specifically.
  17. bynapkinart

New (Belated) Uke Day!

I feel like this doesn't belong on the same page as a Moore Bettah day, but I've been thrilled nonetheless! I picked up a Gretsch G9100 soprano about two weeks ago and I didn't post immediately because I didn't want to sound way too enthusiastic about it. Now that I've had some time to spend...
  18. bynapkinart

Most surprising frankenstein string set

Just like the title: have you ever frankenstein(ed) together a string set that really blew you away unexpectedly? My example: my A string on my Pono popped in the case overnight (Savarez Red). The string set before was a D'addario J71 high G string, Savarez Red C, E, and A strings. The only...
  19. bynapkinart

FT: KPK Soprano Deluxe

Hey all, I've had this very nice soprano for a few months and I haven't quite bonded with it. It sounds wonderful, and has a very lush and warm soprano voice, and has probably the most comfortable and well finished neck out of all of my ukes...but for some reason it isn't quite the sound/feel...