Search results

1. Ukulele Jim

The Duke banjo uke review - WOW!

I just received a Duke banjo uke in the mail last night and have been playing with it all day. I think I'm in love with it. I'd never heard of a Duke before. They're made in New Zealand, and I believe they're fairly new to market. But I have a feeling this is going to be a fairly popular brand...
  2. Ukulele Jim

New Christmas ukulele 3P mini-album "Aloha from Christmas Island"

Hi, everybody! I've just released a new 3P (that's an EP of 3 songs) of some island-themed Christmas music. There are 2 cover songs and 1 new one I've penned, which I hope you'll enjoy. Have a listen: http://music.ukulelejim.net/album/aloha-from-christmas-island I'd love some feedback, so...
  3. Ukulele Jim

My new storybook: Ukulele Jim Presents The Jumping Flea Circus

Hey Everybody, I'm publishing a children's picture book about a circus of acrobatic fleas, dancing ladybugs, daredevil grashoppers, and musical beetles, all traveling around the world to entertain children and inspire dreams. The story is based on the lyrics to the title track of my album...
  4. Ukulele Jim

Strange ukulele reference I uncovered - anyone know this tune?

I was googling myself the other day (as I am wont to do in moments of narcissism) and stumbled across this strange song called "Ukelele Jim". It's from the papers of Minnie fisher Cunningham, a suffragist from Texas. This dates back to sometime around 1918 or 1919. I'm pretty sure 'Ukelele Jim'...
  5. Ukulele Jim

FREE ukulele music? Why, yes!

Hey look! A new EP called "Kickstarted" comes out today, featuring alternate versions and remixes of tracks from my new album "Fretting the Small Stuff". And as a Halloween treat for y'all, you can pay whatever you want for it, or just get it for free if you prefer. So what are you waiting...
  6. Ukulele Jim

My new album hit stores today! Listen to it online

Hi gang. My new album "Fretting the Small Stuff" was released today. It's 13 original folk/rock/bluegrass songs, and you can listen to it online here: http://music.ukulelejim.net/album/fretting-the-small-stuff Give it a listen, won't you? I'd love to know what you think of it. Cheers, J.
  7. Ukulele Jim

My new album "Fretting The Small Stuff" is available for pre-order!

Hey, everyone! I am excited to let you know that my new album "Fretting The Small Stuff" is almost ready to go! This is my third studio album, and I think it represents some of my best songs I've written so far. If you enjoyed my previous CDs, or even if you're new to my work, I think you're...
  8. Ukulele Jim

Name My Next Album CONTEST

Here’s the image for my next album cover. I had a name for the album in mind, but I’d rather see what you come up with! Suggest a name to go along with this picture. Best suggestion wins a copy of the album and a mention in the liner notes. Post as many suggestions as you like here. Aloha!
  9. Ukulele Jim

An article slamming the uke, calling ukuleles "the lamest of all time"

http://www.wbez.org/blog/jim-derogatis/2011-03-31/attention-indie-rock-no-ukes-84433 Wow. I don't think I've ever seen such hate for the ukulele before. Does it really call for this much ire?
  10. Ukulele Jim

The Jumping Flea Circus - An original animated video by Ukulele Jim

Hi, gang! I'm really excited to debut the new video for my song "The Jumping Flea Circus!" The album came out around Christmas and I'm finally able to show everyone the video for the title track. The animation was done by UU's very own Dangerlaef, and he did a wonderful job with it. Check it out!
  11. Ukulele Jim

FS/FT: Baritone Uke Tuned to GCEA <SOLD>

I'll trade you a Kala mahogany Pocket Uke for it. Like new, hardly ever played, comes with a gig bag, retails around $250. I'll even throw in an extra set of strings and a digital tuner.
  12. Ukulele Jim

Uke Scales

I'm looking for a really simple book or tutorial on playing scales. Something that is less about music theory explanation and more about what notes to play and how to practice them. Suggestions? Mike Atkins mentioned a really simple, short book he used to sell called "Uke Scales" but he...
  13. Ukulele Jim

Song suggestions?

I'm playing a birthday party in a couple weeks for 3-year-old triplets. It's a western theme. The songs I'm planning on doing are: The Cowboy Song (from Joe vs. The Volcano) Home On The Range You've Got A Friend In Me (from Toy Story) What A Wonderful World (not western, but fun anyway cuz I...
  14. Ukulele Jim

Need help with strange uke

Ugh, check it out... the whole made for the tuners is 10mm wide. I don't understand why any luthier would have used these ridiculous things. I have no idea what to replace them with.
  15. Ukulele Jim

Need help with strange uke

Hi gang. I've got an odd ukulele that I need some help with. It's a nice looking, good sounding zebrawood ukulele. It's one of my favorites, so I want to try to resolve a few things about it. 1. Who made it? It has no identifiable markings other than a pineapple on the headstock and a sticker...
  16. Ukulele Jim

Hey all you NAMM exhibitors!

Do you need another person to help at your booth? Specifically someone who is good at sales, working with vendors, and playing ukulele? If so, I'd like to help you out. Please let me know!
  17. Ukulele Jim

Official UU store?

Today I discovered there was an official UU online store. I don't know why I didn't know it was there before... but anyway, I'd like to offer my CDs for sale there. Is that possible?
  18. Ukulele Jim

I put out a new CD of kid-friendly ukulele rock!

Hey UU! I've got new music available right now, and I think you're going to dig it! I'm excited to tell you about my new full-length CD of kid-friendly ukulele rock. It's called "Ukulele Jim's Jumping Flea Circus" and it's been my passion project this year. Some of you may know this already...
  19. Ukulele Jim

Let's Have An Old Fashioned Christmas

Halloween is over, which means the holiday season is officially here! At least the department stores seem to think so. And just in time to celebrate, I've got a new Christmas song called "Let's Have An Old Fashioned Christmas" for you! Click here to download the MP3! Thanks, and happy...
  20. Ukulele Jim

Does anyone here play CLARINET or TRUMPET?

Hey gang... I'm working on a ukulele tune for my next album that could really use some clarinet, or maybe some trumpet with a mute. I'm going for a "roaring '20s" kind of jazzy sound. If you can play, AND have means to record yourself (like a Zoom or some other type of way to digitally...