Search results

1. BuzzBD

Style 3 Myrtle Soprano

It looks like my old account has been restored, thanks you mods. I am just finishing binding the back. Pics to follow shortly. Brad
  2. BuzzBD

Used Kamaka Tenor - Should the fretboard be Flat?

A small amount of neck relief is normal. Brad
  3. BuzzBD

Style 3 Myrtle Soprano

Just testing things, been having some problems posting lately. We will see if this works. Brad
  4. BuzzBD

archtoppery

Thanks for the info, I will be following closely
  5. BuzzBD

Showing location in messages

That would be nice. Brad
  6. BuzzBD

Posting Pictures-- WOW, what a difference!

Yes it is much better
  7. BuzzBD

Moving the forum today!

8. BuzzBD

Can not Post

I have been thrashing around trying to post the last couple of days and can’t get past this needs moderator approval thing. I will try posting a new thread.
  9. BuzzBD

What's Up With The New "Points" Thing By Posters?

So far I have been unable to post without getting getting the waiting for moderator approval message, which does not ever seem to happen. So I will try here.
  10. BuzzBD

Style 3 Myrtle Soprano

I will try this again, hopefully it doesn’t result in a double post, Here are some pics taken right before closing things up. I used Alaska yellow cedar for the linings, which smell delightful. https://photos.app.goo.gl/cM24JQobV6WH67ycA Brad
  11. BuzzBD

Style 3 Myrtle Soprano

Getting ready to close the box. One nice touch on this uke, I used Alaska yellow cedar for the linings. I love the smell of that wood.
  12. BuzzBD

Style 3 Myrtle Soprano

Aloha Everyone, I am very excited about this project. Some time ago, UU member richntacoma asked me to make him a myrtle soprano. So I went through my stock of myrtle and found a nice and unusual billet, and sent him some pics of the wood for his approval. As I was up to my eyebrows in previous...
  13. BuzzBD

Making an Archtop Ukulele- Take Two

Around the end of January, my old thread on building an archtop ukulele got a bump. That got me motivated to revisit the process as it has been a while since I have made an archtop instrument. I wanted to start the process by reviewing my old books on the subject, but most of my books are in...
  14. BuzzBD

Some Mundane Luthier Work

Needed to resaw some koa for some vintage model concerts this morning. Found a good billet measuring 2
  15. BuzzBD

Building the Youthalele

This project got started some years ago, a teacher from California wanted to get some ukulele in his students hands. The problem was they were mostly poor, with very little resources. I told him I would try and design a ukulele that could be built with under $10 in parts and materials, by some...
  16. BuzzBD

Youthalele 3

There has been an ongoing discussion in the Luthier’s Lounge about books on how to build ukulele. One issue is that the woodworking skills and tools necessary to do this right are significant. Some years ago I designed the Youthalele as an instrument that could be built in quantity by teachers...
  17. BuzzBD

FS: New Hoe Wa’a (canoe paddle) Concert by Brad Donaldson

This is #3 of my Hoe Wa’a series with a center sound hole and a side sound port. All solid wood construction, body is koa with walnut splines on the top and back. Neck is H. mahogany, fretboard and bridge are walnut. The tuners are Grover friction. Price is $425 plus $30 shipping to US...
  18. BuzzBD

New 10th Anniversary Fun Build

Ten years ago I was finishing the final assembly of the first Fun Build ukulele. The concept was conceived by Vic Jones of Blue Frog Ukuleles. Basically several uke builders from around the world built the various parts of a ukulele based on the Scott Antes Martin O style plans and sent them...
  19. BuzzBD

FS Ditson/Martin Style 3K reproduction by Brad Donaldson

While going through the Tom Walsh-John King book on The Martin Ukulele, I noticed that the only koa ukulele made by Martin for the Ditson dept. stores were either a style 1K (12), or a style 5K (22). Thinking that doing a Ditson/Martin style 3K soprano concept ukulele would be a fun project, I...
  20. BuzzBD

Hoe Wa’a Ukulele by Brad Donaldson

Aloha everyone, I have been working on this design for a while now, trying to add a little more diversity to my lineup. Introducing the Hoe Wa’a (Canoe Paddle) ukulele. This is a 15” concert scale. All solid koa body, with a solid walnut strip on the top and back simulating the paddle shaft...