Search results

1. UkingViking

Loudness for ukulele/vocal recordings

Hi Forum, I am courious as to what loudness more DAW savvy people go for for videos. I read that to "compete" with other songs on youtube, you should aim for LUFS - 14db (integrated) . You can go louder if it sounds better, but youtube will turn it down. If you go quiter it will not be turned...
  2. UkingViking

Season... ONLY 499! Limited time offer!

Welcome to season 499! This weeks theme is an absolute bargain! Or just a pricetag, a deal, a purchase, a trading of goods etc. Ever noticed how pricetags always end on something with 99? Well that inspired this theme for this season number. I want songs in which someone somewhere in the song...
  3. UkingViking

Do I have a nut problem?

I wondered if there was anything to do to rase the playing of my Cort ukulele, which rather small frets, and so I decided to look at the action at the nut. Not something I have ever done before. Does this look off to you guys? Also, a lot of people suggest that you should not see day light...
  4. UkingViking

External microphone for Android

Hi forum, Mostly courious here, since I dont plan to record too much on my phone. But does anyone have good experience recording with external mics on Android, and what options work for which purpose. I am interested in recording video with good sound quality AND good sound levels. There are...
  5. UkingViking

Simplest audio mastering for video?

Hi Forum, I am looking for a bit of advice, since everything I try to do to my recording sounds super box like. I is probably partly due to the acoustics of the room I record in, but the sound also get worse with everything I do to it. My setup: I usually make a live recording with a Blue Yeti...
  6. UkingViking

Unlisted or public?

Being in doubt of what to do myself, I am courious of what other participants in the seasons tend to do. Do you post your Seasons videos as Public on Youtube, so people can find them in a search, or unlisted, so you need the link? Usually I would go with unlisted, since I doubt a lot of people...
  7. UkingViking

Best case for Cocobolo concert?

Hi Forum, Any recommendations for upgrades to a case for Cocobolo concert ukuleles? I bought mine with a uke crazy case. At least it says uke crazy on it, dont know if there are more than one model. It is pretty neat, both hard and light. Without a strap button it would be a perfect fit. But...
  8. UkingViking

Bass size to go with ukuleles

Hi forum, Considering adding a bass to the collection of instruments that I have but only try to learn playing from youtube toturials and stuff. I never played a bass before, but I have a guitar and have a few times added "bass" lines to ukulele recordings from the guitar. I am hoping that if I...
  9. UkingViking

Season 453 - Laundry day

Welcome to Season 453 of the Ukulele - Laundry day! It is late in Denmark, and I will skip the intro video and do this in writing. I was only recently made aware that the scandinavian word for saturday means washing day. The language changed so much over the centuries that I would never have...
  10. UkingViking

Strum-picking with "lifted" chord changes

Hi, I often find myself having problems with songs where some chord changes are half a measure early. My high school music teacher used to refer to that as a "lift", not sure if the word is right. It is often like every second chord change is on 4& in stead of on 1, while the rest are normal...
  11. UkingViking

Clawhammer ukulele - which finger?

I have wathed a few videos on clawhammer ukulele, and I am not sure which finger to use for the melody. My first instinct was my index, which I usually strum with. I heard that banjo players use the middle finger. I heard former banjo who thought the index finger might give more control but...
  12. UkingViking

Season 432 - Solitude

In these times with the Covid19 still around, and people still socially distancing though some countries are slowly opening up again, songs about being loneliness seems to be fitting. I might be overlooking something on the forum, but I can't seem to find this common theme for songs having been...
  13. UkingViking

Self harmonizing, key choice

Hi UU, I am considering trying to add more voices to my own home recordings, trying to learn 2. and perhaps 3. voices. But how to transpose the song... I have a limited vocal range, and as for most males I will usually sound more interesting near the top of my range. But if I want to add a...
  14. UkingViking

WTT - Europe - Kamaka Tiki Concert

Last year I purchased this old Kamaka. The tone is beautiful, but I can't get used to those friction tuners, so I am thinking of rehoming it. The uke is from 1972. It is overall in reasonable shape for its age, but it has a really small crack near the sound hole. See pictures. The tuners are a...
  15. UkingViking

Upgrade from Audacity - Windows

Hi, What music recording software du people use when recording on a Windows PC? I have been using Audacity, but I am missing a few features. I would like to have a metronom with a pleasant drum beat rather than clicks. I would like to be able to select the sound be entire bars, so I can cheat...
  16. UkingViking

Any info on Kremona ukuleles?

Sorry, wrong title. I mixed up brands. I wanted to know about a brand called Segovia. Forgot the name and wrote Kremona on stead. Anybody know anything about Segovia ukuleles? It is a cheap-ish brand with some cool designs.
  17. UkingViking

Season 401: Tarantino

Intro video: For this weeks theme, I want you to record songs that feature in the movies of Quentin Tarantino. Some of these have stunning soundtracks. I remember the soundtrack from Pulp Fiction being played at all parties I went to 20 years ago, and his later movies also feature great...
  18. UkingViking

Anybody recording Audio with DSLR?

Hi, Just courious to hear if anyone uses this, before I go looking for cables etc. So, if you have a camera with a minijack (3.5 mm jack) input for an external mix, and you have your USB mic or USB interface with whatever mic you use, you can direct the output from the headphone socket of the...
  19. UkingViking

Always bringing a backup?

Just a silly thought, from someone who never does gigs, but is courious. Recently there was a thread about how rarely strings break. But if a string did break on an ukulele the day of a gig, new strings would not have time to settle in. What do the gigging ukers do? Bring a spare uke every...
  20. UkingViking

"Notes for embellishments"

I was watching this video on clawhammer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0fNehrpwZ8 And come across the term "notes for embellishments". Now that is something that I would like to learn more about. Does anybody have any links to info on this subject? Or an explanation as to which notes to...