Search results

1. KohanMike

Magic Flea sound

I bought a tenor all plastic and just didn't like the feel of the neck at all, too thick and the flat area was very uncomfortable for me. I did change the tuners to the all black GraphTech ones, which I thought did a very good job. Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly...
  2. KohanMike

Would anyone like a Halloween concert via Zoom?

You could do a circle Zoom where each participant plays a song. My group is playing on the 31st from 1 to 2:30 on the patio of a sandwich shop with about 30 of us. I'm sure some will be wearing costumes too. We do Spooky, The Addams Family, Witch Doctor, Love Potion #9, Purple People Eater...
  3. KohanMike

New Bamboo, - Wahoo!

I have the Aklot tenor cutaway, it doesn't have any delmination issues (flaws). Here is the Alvarez: Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center 8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36) •Donate to The...
  4. KohanMike

Ordered another Bruce Wei Arts custom bass uke.

In my experience all bass ukes need an amp when playing, even with one other person, and I've used most every string.
  5. KohanMike

New Member from Kamloops, BC Canada. Hello All

Welcome Barch. When I used to go camping in the High Sierra's here in California, it was a treat to catch a Kamloops trout every-once-in-awhile. Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center 8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini...
  6. KohanMike

About 7 years ago I had Bruce make me a fretless, but having 11 fretted at the time that I rotated through, I found it too awkward to go to it as infrequently as I did, so I sold it last year. I'm a fretted kinda guy.
  7. KohanMike

It's certainly a bass uke for which I'm very enamored.
  8. KohanMike

I'm in the process of ordering another custom bass uke from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam. The most recent one he made me came out great. Again, I saw one of his tenor uke designs, a gypsy jazz with oval sound hole on his eBay store and asked to make it in a 21.5" scale bass uke with the more...
  9. KohanMike

"Having" vs. "Wanting"...

I too will constantly think about a want until I fulfill it, but I have no let down when I receive it, I find I'm quite happy having it from that point on. I'm in the middle of this right now; for the last couple of months I've been seeing a tenor uke on Bruce Wei Arts' eBay store, a gypsy jazz...
  10. KohanMike

Hello from Los Angeles!

As I mentioned above, my group has been meeting at the Jackson Cafe sandwich shop on Jefferson near La Cienega every other Sunday, playing from 1 pm to 2:30, tomorrow we're on. It's open to anyone who wishes to participate. If you want to join, reply and I'll send you the song list for tomorrow...
  11. KohanMike

Bass Uke pickup volume not balanced fix.

Unless you have this particular pickup, you will not understand how this fix works, it's not a standard saddle. I have done this fix on six of my bass ukes, as have a number of other people. The proof is in the pudding.
  12. KohanMike

World Series

I watch games only with teams in which I'm interested; Dodgers, Rams, UCLA football and basketball, Lakers, or the Super Bowl. I'm not a sports fan, don't know stats or personnel, my twin brother is on that, I just like watching the games.
  13. KohanMike

Seated Playing

I have a strap on every one of my instruments, adding buttons as needed. I never have to think about how I'm holding them, makes no sense to me not to. Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center 8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14...
  14. KohanMike

World Series

I'm glad to see that the Dodgers got through, but that was a terrible check swing call by the 1st base ump. Hate to see a game end that way. Of course I would rather have seen Sherzer get the final out. Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center 8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4...
  15. KohanMike

Bass Uke pickup volume not balanced fix.

It's not the bridge that gets cut, it's the saddle that's in a metal tray that presses on four separate pickup elements in the tray. Because the saddle is solid, it sometimes does not make contact with the four pickups evenly. By cutting apart the saddle, each piece makes direct contact with the...
  16. KohanMike

New Bass Uke Day - Hadean Hofner/Beatle Bass Uke

I do have to be careful adjusting the bridge, but so far after adjusting it, the intonation is very good with the flatwound strings. This is the only clip I have.
  17. KohanMike

Moving from a bass Facebook group to here.

This is an old thread, I have a more recent one on the UU Bass forum and the UBassFreaks group saying that UU Bass might be a better choice.
  18. KohanMike

How would you make a ukulele sound like an electric guitar?

My first suggestion would be to add a fuzz pedal, you should be able to find a used one,
  19. KohanMike

Harmonica Help

A little aside on how I learned to play harmonica. I first tried in the late 1960s after I had been playing guitar for a couple of years, but couldn't understand the instructions sheet about the tongue and corner blow. I fooled around with it for a number of years, when in 1982 as a propman in...
  20. KohanMike

U bass - looking for a recommendation

I have eight Hadean bass ukes, acoustic and solid body, only issue has been unbalanced pickup that I fix with my posted cut apart the saddle insert, but on the solid body, I'm replacing the limited adjustment wood bridge with a fully adjustable metal piezo bridge. I also gave up on all the poly...