Search results

1. Uke-alot

Adjusting braces post build

I'm planning on making a removable back for a ukulele design that I want to prototype, so I can cut down the bracing if necessary. Just thin plywood screwed on around the perimeter, which should be a reasonable approximation of the structural function of a glued permanent back. If all goes...
  2. Uke-alot

Zero fret

The Magic Fluke instruments with traditional fretboards (i.e. wood with metal frets) as well as the ones with plastic fretboards have zero frets. I've had my Fluke tenor (with walnut fretboard) for 3 years now and it works perfectly. Good action and no string buzz. The Magic Fluke instruments...
  3. Uke-alot

I've got the TAS again

Like everyone else, I think that band saws work far far better than scroll saws. Only buy a scroll saw if you need the detachable blade capability so you can cut a hole in the workpiece, pass the blade through, and do an internal cut. And it should be said that only the nice (expensive) scroll...
  4. Uke-alot

Router Table Queries

Having a thin plate is an advantage in terms of allowing greater cutting heght (the bit has to extend through the table material, so thinner material is better). Once in a while, this turns out to be a significant concern depending on the bit youre using and cut you're trying to make. If you...
  5. Uke-alot

Ukulele dust for compost.

I think the fears about putting wood shavings/sawdust into compost, or even incorporating it into garden soil directly, are completely overblown (such as a commenter above reported they heard from "garden experts"). Unless the ratio of wood to other material is really massive, there's no real...
  6. Uke-alot

Banjo Alert

Yes, that's exactly the "10-inch pot" that I used! I'm going to be lazy here and link back to my old post on this instrument, which has more photos and detail: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?139699-First-project-completed-tenor-banjolele&highlight=Uke-alot I did make my...
  7. Uke-alot

Banjo Alert

This lack of understanding, leading to persecution of a perfectly harmless traditional musical instrument, is hurtful to banjo lovers everywhere. Free the banjos! ;) (We should at least make an exception for banjo ukuleles).
  8. Uke-alot

ID this wood?

So funny story. Years ago I was given 6 antique table leaves for free. The table was long gone, so I took them home to save them from the dumpster. I assumed they were plainsaw oak, based on what I could see of the grain through the old stain and finish. They've been sitting in the basement...
  9. Uke-alot

First project completed - tenor banjolele

First off, thanks to everyone who posts their inspirational work here, and thanks also to everyone who takes the time to answer newbie questions from people like me! Here is my tenor banjolele, which is completed except for some tinkering with the setup. It's built around a 10-inch Rhythm Band...
  10. Uke-alot

Pineapple tenor - plans or basic dimensions/photos?

I'm considering building a pineapple tenor for my first ever ukulele build (other than a tenor banjolele, which I just finished except for tinkering with the setup - photos and details to be posted soon in another thread). I searched around I didn't find plans specifically for a tenor...
  11. Uke-alot

Help with keeping a simple uke in tune

Ok, this isn't done, so I can't absolutely vouch that it will work. However, this is what I'm doing for a banjo uke that I'm currently building. The tailpiece and the "bracket" that hold it are both maple. The tailpiece will extend horizontally over the drum surface. It will be drilled...
  12. Uke-alot

Linseed oil or tung oil on rosewood fretboard?

Hey there, I'm currently building my first instrument, which will be a tenor banjo ukulele. The neck is maple with curly maple headstock overlay with a cherry inlay. The fretboard is a supposedly rosewood premade board I bought online. I plan to finish the neck with boiled linseed oil...