Search results

1. Gmontema

A UAS meme!

Commas make all the difference! :cool:
  2. Gmontema

I lost my Kamaka Gold Label Pineapple on Southwest Airlines!

*Update* Southwest Airlines recovered my uke! There are still good / honest humans out there. Thanks to all in the uke community for the kind words and support! In the meantime I was lucky enough to acquire a mint (even the the wood smells new) gold label. Here are are together. I probably won’t...
  3. Gmontema

I lost my Kamaka Gold Label Pineapple on Southwest Airlines!

Stuff Happens! My abused (by someone else but repaired/improved by me) Kamaka is out in the wind! She’s an amazing looking and sounding instrument and now has gotoh UPTs. It even had the cool deluxe and distinctive white binding. Wherever she ends up, I hope she is well played and well loved...
  4. Gmontema

Interesting video about Petros ukulele

I accidentally posted this in Marketplace. Whoops. This video is great for those interested in learning more about some of the most interesting and pricey ukuleles out there. I hope all find some enjoyment! https://youtu.be/eoy_ra6CO5o
  5. Gmontema

Interesting video about How Petros ukulele

This video is great for those interested in learning more about some of the most interesting and pricey ukuleles out there. I hope all find some enjoyment! https://youtu.be/eoy_ra6CO5o
  6. Gmontema

New old stock KoAloha spotted in San Jose, CA

I was is San Jose for a little while and while I was there, I stopped into the Ukulele Source. While there, I noticed that they had a pre-2016 KoAloha koa pineapple soprano KSM-01 for sale for around $1K after tax. Wow. It was beautiful with the crown fretboard (maybe koa...definitely not modern...
  7. Gmontema

NUD - *rough* 1930’s Kamaka historic mahogany pineapple

Here are some more pics with a side by side with my gold label
  8. Gmontema

NUD - *rough* 1930’s Kamaka historic mahogany pineapple

Despite some poor eBay strategy I lucked out by ending up with this 90 year old uke for about $200. It’s rough but it’s a pineapple and it’s cool to think that maybe Sam Kamaka himself made it. Here is a YouTube sound sample So now I have to figure out what to do with this “Historic Mahogany...
  9. Gmontema

Why should bridge pins be still used on ukes?

My Iriguchi has a string-through-bridge. I’m not sure what impact on tone there is, but I like the clean look of it.
  10. Gmontema

eBay Ukulele War Stories?

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. After submitting a bid with days to spare and after upping my max bid 3 times before starting this post (basically what all of the pros said not to do) I actually ended up winning the uke that I wanted. I think it’s winning if I ended up below my max...
  11. Gmontema

eBay Ukulele War Stories?

I’m in the middle of an eBay battle right now. Days of no activity and then pow, big time escalations in price. I’ve put in my “max” offer and now I’m just waiting as it fast approaches with all of the bidding activity. Have you ever been happy to “miss out” on a special uke? Have any of you had...
  12. Gmontema

NUD: Makai PC-71 solid spruce top concert pineapple

I just picked up this beauty at an amazing price point ($110 + $20 shipping) as a gift uke. It sounds great with the new Aquila red strings. It plays great with good action (a touch high) and perfect fret dressing. It’s pretty balanced in terms of tone with some punch and some decent bass but...
  13. Gmontema

NUD - What to do with an abused gold label Kamaka (besides play it)?

Here are some pictures of some old school koa...just because. While I love the look of the fancy modern koa ukes, especially the custom/luthier choice builds, I’ve recently come to enjoy the look and sound of the old school koa. Now I may have to explore old school mahogany...dangerous!
  14. Gmontema

Project “Beater” is officially complete. After 3 weeks of intense humidification, a local luthier was able to mostly close the crack and apply a few cleats to my newly acquired but formerly abused uke. Even better, he installed new gotoh UPTs. Now for a grand sum of $512, I have a dented...
  15. Gmontema

I spontaneously picked up an abused and cracked gold label Kamaka. Why? Partly because I was interested in a vintage instrument and also because I jumped at the chance for a $300 Kamaka (after tax). I also happened to have a great performance review and so I felt like treating myself. However...
  16. Gmontema

Show Off Your Hawaiian Made Ukes

I like theukulelesite.com for the sound samples. I can’t get enough of listening to those guys play. It also definitely feeds my interest in improving my playing. Anyway, here’s my KoAloha KSM-01...pineapples forever and always!
  17. Gmontema

String diversification coupled with UAS/SAS

Like many on this site I’ve tended to upgrade all my ukes to “higher end” strings immediately upon acquisition. My go-to strings have been Warm sounding Worth Clears and now the Martin fluorocarbons in the yellow package. A lot of folks on this board go with the Worth browns so I went ahead and...
  18. Gmontema

Random thoughts on a spontaneous uke purchase

On a family trip earlier this month, we strolled into a music store (like we always do) and I proceeded to play all of the ukes in inventory. After playing the selection, my wife saw my face change when I played the KoAloha pineapple. It was was $900+ Before tax. I guess I pouted a little bit...
  19. Gmontema

Interesting article on luthiers, wood selection, and player impact on tone

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-ukulele-gift-20171226-story.html Six ukulele builders from around the world — including Fallbrook’s John S. Kinnard — were appointed a task. Using the same sheets of wood from two old-growth trees, the men were invited to build...
  20. Gmontema

A KoAloha tuner question

I just got a new KoAloha soprano and it is a fantastic sounding uke. It’s brand new, but it’s a pre-2016 model (likely with original strings). So my issue is that I’m having trouble tuning the c string and getting it just right. Basically, a very slight twist makes it way too sharp and then I...