Search results

1. hollisdwyer

Samba Ole - A Covid Lockdown Collaboration

This is a Covid Isolation collaboration with 2 friends who I play with at a local Melbourne Australia Uke group. The piece is from a video tutorial by Samatha Muir who focuses on classical and ancient music. It was originally arranged for two melody parts and a rhythm strumming part. I added a...
  2. hollisdwyer

Barron River 8 String Tenor Road Test

This is a first recording of my new Barron River 8 string tenor(Black LImba body and Lutz Spruce top, passive K&K Aloha pickup) crafted by Allen McFarlan (Barron River Ukuleles, Queensland Australia) . No EFX, just patched through one of my LR Baggs pre-amps to boost the passive signal and then...
  3. hollisdwyer

Barron River 8 String Road Test

This is a first recording of my new Barron River 8 string tenor(Black LImba body and Lutz Spruce top, passive K&K Aloha pickup) crafted by Allen McFarlan (Barron River Ukuleles) . No EFX, just patched through one of my LR Baggs pre-amps to amplify the passive signal and then via an iRig Pro to...
  4. hollisdwyer

Instructions for uploading video to Use Talk

Are there instructions on recommended ways to upload videos to threads on UU? I've looked but can't seem to find any.
  5. hollisdwyer

Elephant in the room

My group here in Melbourne Australia have been doing zoom meetings. Zoom is not really suitable for musical groups but with certain protocols we can have some fun. It’s good just to see your friends and have a chat. We have also collaborated on two videos which was fun. I don’t think that there...
  6. hollisdwyer

Belated NUD - Barron River 8 String Tenor - Black Limba & Lutz Spruce

The NUD was really last week but I'm suffering from Plague induced time dilation perceptual dissonance and rarely know what day it is lately. Anyway last week I received another wonderfull instrument from Allen McFarlen (Barron River Guitars and Ukuleles). This acquisition rounds off the...
  7. hollisdwyer

Low tension strings for tenor 8 string recommendations

Thank you all for these responses. I'm afraid that my plague brain has descended into almost total cognitive dissonance. To answer Kekani's question, the treble pairs are 541R and 542R. The high string diameters on the bases were determined by looking at what string diameters that Worth uses in...
  8. hollisdwyer

Low tension strings for tenor 8 string recommendations

I’ve been using a ‘Frankenstein’ set of strings for my 4 string tenors and concert Ukes for a few years now. They’re a mix of Savarez trebles and Thomastik-Infeld chrome flat wound bases. I love this set so when I commissioned a new 8 string tenor I supplied an 8 string set version to the...
  9. hollisdwyer

Concert or Tenor Beginners Uke with 1.5 inch Nut Width?

A friend has asked me for advice re purchasing a first Uke that has a nut width of 1.5 inches. I recommended a budget of US$125-150. Most that I have looked at have been 1&3/8”. Can anyone recommend some instruments that are in this zone?
  10. hollisdwyer

What ukes are being considered for rehoming?

I have been thinking about selling my Hoffmann Ebony/Red Spruce w/MiSi pu, side sound port, etc. Because of the favourable exchange rate for US buyers, I can offer it at a great price. I have to find out what shipping cost is before I list it in the Marketplace. Here is a photo from Jerry...
  11. hollisdwyer

Trade Hoffmann Ebony Baritone for Beansprout Tenor 5 string Banjolele

This may be the most specific and non achievable offer to trade ever posted here but it never hurts to ask. My Ebony and Red Spruce Hoffmann Lutherie Baritone ( MiSi pu and other options) hasn’t been getting the playing time that it used to but I am reluctant to sell such a fine instrument. I...
  12. hollisdwyer

For Trade, EOI, Hoffmann Ebony & Spruce Baritone for Beansprout 5 string tenor banjo

FT Hoffmann Ebony Baritone for Beansprout 5 string tenor banjolele This may be the most specific and non achievable offer to trade ever posted here but it never hurts to ask. My Ebony and Red Spruce Hoffmann Lutherie Baritone hasn’t been getting the playing time that it used to but I am...
  13. hollisdwyer

Advice Please for Uke Group Wanting to Take First Steps Towards Amplification

I'm no newbie to individual instrument amplification and have had experience as a film sound recordist, but I have no experience with designing a reasonably priced sound system for the Uke group that I am currently playing with. I would appreciate some guidance for these parameters: Group size...
  14. hollisdwyer

Play Music on the Porch Day

It was cold in Melbourne, Australia but we still had a great time.
  15. hollisdwyer

Grrrrrrrr

If you think that a boot print on an inner cardboard box is bad, look at this. The Ameritage case was packed inside a strong suitcase. When I opened the suitcase this was what I found.
  16. hollisdwyer

NUD Anuenue 2012 Flame Maple Soprano

And here is a good image of the label. I wonder what the thing is after the words “Flame Maple”?
  17. hollisdwyer

NUD Anuenue 2012 Flame Maple Soprano

I saw this on the local Facebook Marketplace and purchased it for my wife after trying it out. It has a sweet sound and good playability but I can’t find out anything about it. I can see that it has Grover tuners, a bone nut and saddle and nice binding and rosette. The intonation is good and it...
  18. hollisdwyer

What ukes are being considered for rehoming?

Just a note in this thread to say that I have now put a proper For Sale post on the UU Marketplace for my Hoffmann Lutherie/ Boat Paddle ML Style Tenor. It will only be available until I leave for the USA so I can hand carry it in the plane and ship it from New York City. I’ll be flying out of...
  19. hollisdwyer

For Sale- Custom Built Hoffmann/Boat Paddle ML Tenor

I'm about to travel to the USA again in a few weeks and decided to put my first custom built Uke up for sale with the view to carrying it with me and shipping it from NYC when I arrive there. It's my Boat Paddle (Hoffman Lutherie) ML Tenor. Cocobolo back and sides and master grade Red Spruce...