Search results

1. E

Vintage Harmony baritone

FedEx just delivered a new-to-me ukelele acquired online. I bought it knowing it would be a bit of a project and a gamble, but it seems to be structurally sound, if full of “character”. Clearly, it needs at least one new tuning peg and new strings to be playable. Possibly it needs a new...
  2. E

Going from ukulele to tenor guitar

I am thinking about getting a tenor guitar. I am thinking about getting a tenor guitar. I think I’d want to play it tuned traditionally, not Chicago tuning. But I’m also not so sure I shouldn’t just stick with the ukulele, since I’m not terrifically musically talented. Is it just a matter of...
  3. E

String buzz

I recently changed the strings on my Ohana concert to Aquila Reds. While I was at it, I changed it to low G. Because I like to have options and was afraid I wouldn’t like it as a low G , I bought a complete reentrant set and a separate low G string. I followed the instructions carefully, but...
  4. E

Library Ukulele thought experiment

At some point I’d like to donate a ukulele and pertinent accessories and books to my library. It is still very much in the planning stage. I’m thinking a plastic or part-plastic uke like the Flight travel ukulele or a Makala Dolphin would be best. A tuner, some extra batteries for it, extra...
  5. E

Good laminates

I have been playing ukulele around 8 months now. I started on a Kala ka-15s, which I really enjoyed and which definitely did the job of getting me hooked, but I wanted to try low g and I wanted the fuller sound of a tenor, so I bought a spruce topped Ohana tenor. I do like low g for some...