Search results

1. Bill Sheehan

"Having" vs. "Wanting"...

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." This was said by Mr. Spock in an episode of Star Trek. And it got me to thinking... I must admit that when I'm "hankerin'" for a particular uke, or style...
  2. Bill Sheehan

Gretsch Longneck Soprano?

Anyone have any experience with the Gretsch longneck soprano? I had their standard-size soprano several years ago, but unfortunately the bridge began to lift off and eventually popped off while I was sleeping one night. I was bummed because that uke had a really nice jangly voice. I heard of...
  3. Bill Sheehan

Nut Width On The Ohana SK-30M

I've been looking at the Ohana SK-30M longneck soprano. Does anyone know if (in addition to the extra fretboard length afforded by the concert scale) the nut width on this uke is a little bit more generous than the nut width on a typical Ohana soprano? Thanks!
  4. Bill Sheehan

C.F. Martin Logo Has Begun To Lift

Hi friends, I noticed this morning that the "C.F. Martin" logo on the headstock of my Martin S-0 has begun to peel away from the headstock a little; the letters "C.F." are the ones affected. It's sort of a "foil" logo, which I assume was originally applied with some kind of adhesive. I...
  5. Bill Sheehan

Diggin' Those Fremont Hard-Tensions

I'm a (solo) soprano player/singer mostly, and I've been tuning up to "a D F# B" for a long time (using Martin M-600's), primarily because the more common "g C E A" tuning always seemed a little too "floppy" for my taste. So recently I put a set of Fremont Blackline Hard Tension strings on my...
  6. Bill Sheehan

Martin Sopranino?

I love my Martin S-0 soprano (although they don't seem to get a ton of love generally, but that's a different discussion); it seems to get sweeter and smoother as I continue to play it from month to month (using the "a D F# B" tuning). The various other Martin soprano models are really nice...
  7. Bill Sheehan

Mahalo's New "U-smilino" Sopranino Uke

Has anyone tried one of these? They look cool-- sort of the baby brother (or sister) to Mahalo's more familiar smiley-faced soprano. I don't find much info about them online.
  8. Bill Sheehan

A New Smiley-Face Sopranino Fom Mahalo

I noticed this evening that the folks at Mahalo are introducing, for 2021, a bright yellow sopranino-size smiley-face uke called the "U-Smilino". I've owned their soprano-size smiley-face model for a few years, and found it to be pretty decent actually. I'm wondering if this new little one...
  9. Bill Sheehan

Help Dating My Martin S-0?

Hi friends, I have a very nice Martin S-0 made-in-Mexico uke bearing serial number 12,437. Any Martin enthusiasts out there who may have an educated guess as to what year this one might've been made in?
  10. Bill Sheehan

Grover 4B Friction Tuners For My Flea?

I know this question has probably been covered previously on the Forum, but in the interest of getting a totally up-to-date opinion, please allow me to ask: Assuming the Flea ukes come standard with Grover 2B friction tuners, is my understanding correct that the Grover 4B's would be a direct...
  11. Bill Sheehan

For Sale: Amethyst Soprano Flea

I bought this very pretty amethyst soprano Flea ("standard-issue") back in January of this year (no case) directly from the Magic Fluke Company, for $225.00. Unfortunately it has seen less than an hour of play time in these ensuing months. I have recently found a pre-owned tenor Fluke at a...
  12. Bill Sheehan

Want To Swap Your Tenor Fluke For My Soprano Flea and Kala Travel Soprano?

Hi Friends, I hope I'm not in violation of Marketplace norms with this somewhat "tentative" post, but I wanted to test the waters and see if anyone has a gently used tenor-scale Fluke that they might consider swapping for my soprano amethyst purple Flea and my Kala travel soprano. The Flea is...
  13. Bill Sheehan

Is "Uke Acquisition Syndrome" Worse At Night?

It seems to me that my tendency to want to "pull the trigger" on musical gear is noticeably stronger at nighttime, right before bed. Last night, for instance, around 11:00, I ordered a Kmise brand slim-body tenor; it just seemed like the right thing to do at that moment, the instrument isn't...
  14. Bill Sheehan

FaceTime Performance Advice?

Hello friends, I'm in the process of arranging to do a performance via FaceTime for a local retirement village. I have an iPhone 6 with the FaceTime program, but I've not used it much at all, except to visit occasionally with my kids and grandkids. My buddy and I have played at this particular...
  15. Bill Sheehan

FaceTime Performance Advice?

Hello friends, I'm in the process of arranging to do a performance via FaceTime for a local retirement village. I have an iPhone 6 with the FaceTime program, but I've not used it much at all, except to visit occasionally with my kids and grandkids. My buddy and I have played at this...
  16. Bill Sheehan

Looking for a Flea Soprano in Purple

I apologize for making this so vague, and I hope I'm not straying too far from normal Marketplace protocol, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a purple soprano Flea they might consider selling, or possibly trading for something in my herd, or perhaps a combination of a trade plus cash. If...
  17. Bill Sheehan

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to the entire UU Forum family! Among so many other things, I'm thankful today for our shared love of this wonderful instrument, and I always look forward to listening and learning from you!
  18. Bill Sheehan

Seeking Help With "Firming Up" A Screw

I just got a little Kustom PA-50 personal p.a. system. I have previously owned one and liked it so much that I decided to add another, as they can be "daisy-chained" for certain situations. The carrying handle on these little units is much like you'd find on similar pieces of equipment, and...
  19. Bill Sheehan

Playing The Electric Guitar With Fingers Only

For ages, I've felt that I have much better control, and thus greater confidence, when I use ONLY my fingers for both rhythm and lead playing on my electric guitar, rather than using a pick. It's as if eliminating the pick from the equation "links" me to the guitar more directly, and it's a...
  20. Bill Sheehan

Seeking Advice On The Squier Mini-Strat

Hello friends, I recently got a Squier Mini Stratocaster, in the hope that it'll provide a nice compact alternative to a full-size electric guitar. I must say, it's really pretty darn nice, especially for a relatively inexpensive instrument, and the sound thru an amp is impressive with its...