Search results

1. Down Up Dick

5th tuning, benefits and drawbacks

I‘ve been whistling or humming Pavane by Faure’ all morning. I usta like to play it on my flute. It’s a beautiful haunting, minor piece. I have it on CD too and love to listen to it. Now, after reading this thread and since it’s in GDAE (it’s Violin music in F# minor), I think I’ll give it a...
  2. Down Up Dick

Singing Sessions

Well, I sang tonight before supper. I had some trouble finding my key (C or D) though. The key of G seems to be very popular in most of my song books. Most of the time other keys are too high or low. If I know the tune, I can manage the chords, if there aren’t too many changes, and most of...
  3. Down Up Dick

Mandola (Mandolin)

Today I sent for some lighter strings and some heavier picks for my mandola. Its strings are very tight. I can fret them, but they’re too tight. I have one 2.0 mm pick. and I liked the sound it made the last coupla days.
  4. Down Up Dick

Classical Guitar, Fingerstyle Guitar, Tenor Guitars & Baritone Uke

Today, I spent some time listening to Marcin on guitar. Wow! Somethin’ else! I really think he’s great. Have you heard him? Wadaya think?
  5. Down Up Dick

Harping Again

Today, my left hand index finger tip was sore so I decided to skip the fretting and play my harps instead. I had a good time playing folk tunes and some made-up minor keyed stuff. I had a good time.
  6. Down Up Dick

Yeah, the spaces between the frets on my guitar are huge and difficult to reach, yet my hands aren’t particularly small. I can play most of the chords I need, but I can’t hold them for fingerstyle. Reaching the bass notes were kickin’ me too. What’s a shuffle? I could live without the...
  7. Down Up Dick

Thanks a lot, Clear. I’ll give ‘em a try tomorrow. They look like what I need.
  8. Down Up Dick

It’s “Faster Fingers in 1Week” by Lauren Bateman. I follow some of her stuff, and she has helped. I’ll check on Rob MacKillop. Thanks.
  9. Down Up Dick

I’ve been doing an exercise to increase my left hand flexibility. Up to now I’ve been havin’ trouble reaching and holding some chords. It’s keeping me from playing Finger Style and forcing me to try and try and try to pick the C chord. I haven’t had time for Classical Guitar because I’m busy...
  10. Down Up Dick

my ukulele progress

Because I got all of them correct — all of ‘em — on the third try — while tapping my foot in time! Ahhh . . .
  11. Down Up Dick

my ukulele progress

Good for you! Enjoy!
  12. Down Up Dick

Harping Again

I have a copy of the paragraph that you posted hanging on my music room wall. I usta be an avid fan of John Steinbeck. I’ve read all of his novels and stories except one or two that were oughta print and the King Arthur one which I started and quit. My wife and I had a short tour of his...
  13. Down Up Dick

Mandola (Mandolin)

Well, last night, when I was looking out the front window as I always do while locking up, I saw a big box. Thinking it was for someone else, I brought it into the house to check, and it was my new Gold Tone Mandola! Wow! And it was three days early! I unwrapped it to find that it was a very...
  14. Down Up Dick

my ukulele progress

Wow! For $14 per serving, enjoying it is mandatory! Come to think of it the Greeks and Romans didn’t have whiskey or even beer (?)! You, should be drinking some exotic and expensive Greek (Retsina?) or Italian vino.
  15. Down Up Dick

Well, barnsrorm, thanks for the pics. My two Tenor Guitars are acoustic.
  16. Down Up Dick

Mandola (Mandolin)

Well, Knows, thanks for the info. I’ve never seen one like that. I’m glad you got it fixed up.
  17. Down Up Dick

Mandola (Mandolin)

Well, I did it. I pulled the trigger on a Gold Tone Mandola to sing Celtic tunes with. I‘m a mandolin person through and through.
  18. Down Up Dick

I’ve been workin’ on my CG C a lot, and now it sounds better - some of the time. I play it a coupla times when ever I walk by the darned thing.
  19. Down Up Dick

Harping Again

Most of my harps are Hohners. I went through a patch of buying one of each of some others but I seldom play any of ‘em. I’m definately a Hohner man. I was shaken when they sold out to China. I’m glad they’re back in Germany again. I like ‘em because they’re easy to work on and retune...
  20. Down Up Dick

Harping Again

My new harp sounds okay and plays well. I think I’ll have another spat with my daughter.