Search results

1. ripock

Christmas music

The only christmas song I think I'd want to hear: "wanna be your dog" by the Stooges with its sleigh-bell ostinato
  2. ripock

Christmas music

I haven't heard that song in eons. Is the music difficult? I seem to recall the harmonization of the voices was purposely a bit challenging kind of like a Beatles song where the voices strain to work together but result in a more interesting sound
  3. ripock

Christmas music

The last level of a video game has a boss which is very difficult to kill/overcome. I thought the analogy meant "Christmas time is here" was the boss, the ultimate in the metaphorical game of playing christmas songs. I don't know if that means that song is the ultimate in difficulty or just...
  4. ripock

my ukulele progress

I do exactly the same. And I did that today more to warm the house than anything else. I cut up 3 yukons and then mixed them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, garlic, and a chive/onion mixtures I have and then roasted them at 425. Meanwhile I was playing around with my E scales which I played...
  5. ripock

The Raven Colony: Voran's diary

Have you ever tried pea protein? It has that 'green' flavor that chlorophyllic flavor. If you can accept that flavor it is really easy on the innards unlike some of the whey-based products. And for added cheap protein, I have been coating my vegetables with egg before throwing it in the wok.
  6. ripock

Christmas music

All I'll say is that I am so glad I stayed in school and made the correct sequence of arbitrary guesses that led me not to be in retail. While I was buying some trout at the market today they played two versions of Rudolph back-to-back and then Suzy Snowflake. You could see it in the butcher's...
  7. ripock

The Raven Colony: Voran's diary

Storms are cool, but people make too much of them. people use them too much as a metaphor. A lot of the conspiratorial elements in the U.S.A. have slogans like "the storm is coming" and my response is "oh my! I suppose I better stay in this evening and play cribbage with my woman and let the...
  8. ripock

5th tuning, benefits and drawbacks

I had thought that a pavane was derived from Pavo, Latin for peacock, because everyone is prancing around like a peacock in mating season, but it is just derived from the adjectival form of Padua whence the dance emanates. The more you learn, the more you need to re-learn.
  9. ripock

my ukulele progress

The one that really bugs me is calling the 7th interval in F# an E# instead of an F. That one sticks in my craw because I use F#. It is a great funky key and the 7th interval is so important since I play Roots music which is full of dominant chords. There are more outlandish examples, but...
  10. ripock

my ukulele progress

but you have to be honest. If someone pointed to a point on the fret board and said what note is that, we'd both say Bb. A# may be correct but it seems so wrong.
  11. ripock

Happy Thanksgiving! (Ukulele ugly sweater content warning!)

yep. And that's the secret to using a uke without a strap: an abdominal shelf.
  12. ripock

I use this shape for 13 chords for the uke. It is pretty easy. I just barre the entire bottom of the chord and use my pinky for the 4th string and ring finger for the 3rd string. It is kind of like a B chord on the uke but you intercalate a fret after the barre.
  13. ripock

my ukulele progress

Post Thanksgiving assessment: The shepherd's pie was successful. I made the mistake of telling my wife what was going to be in it and she was fussy. I had to be uncharacteristically brusque with her. I've been feeding her for almost 30 years; I know what I'm doing. She is going to eat it...
  14. ripock

When is it a good time to try low G?

The one thing I'll add is this; the question seems to imply a graduation or a progression--like you get good enough with the entry level re-entrant and then move to the low G. That's not the case. You move to a low G when it will improve your ukulele life. And you move back when a new phase...
  15. ripock

my ukulele progress

I didn't do a proper spatchcock because I believe that entails grilling the bird, but I removed the spine from a chicken or two and baked them flattened on a bed of onions. I then pressure cooked the spines with some mirepoix to make a white stock.
  16. ripock

my ukulele progress

I remember reading about a boar's head being a holiday treat in England and at the time I didn't understand. But once I realized the tender delicacy of face flesh, I understood. So the guanciale sounds good. I believe I will be making a shepherd's pie with a side of butternut squash. My...
  17. ripock

Tenor regrets?

My advice is not to be fragile. Play different sizes and get over the awkward introductory period so that there will no longer be awkward introductory periods. Heck, even play a tenor guitar with its narrow nut and neck. Then you can have your preferences because they are your preferences and...
  18. ripock

“Fingertips”

rules were meant to be broken. That is often said by people who are too lazy to learn the rules, but it does apply here in some cases. But there should be a reason to break the rule. So yeah it should be tips for all the practical reasons mentioned but once you know the rule, you should...
  19. ripock

my ukulele progress

Happy Thanksgiving from the ghost of dead Horace seen here objecting to the proximity of a poodle. My thanksgiving will be easy. My wife wanted nothing special and nothing special is what I have in spades. I have some lamb, a butternut squash, and some potatoes. I'll see what can be done...
  20. ripock

I only have one experience with CGDA. I bought a tenor guitar and it came tuned that way. I was like, WTH, and I retuned the strings to DGBE so that I could play it. So I would say one drawback is the time investment. It takes all my time to be a mediocre player of ukuleles, so why would I...