Search results

1. hendulele

SOTU 563 "What's in a name?"

Hi folks. I’ve been a bit AWOL the past few weeks. Life and stuff. Getting our uke club set for many seasonal (but not Season-of-the-Ukulele-al) performances. H = the title of this song, plus it’s from Hank Williams!
  2. hendulele

Pricing a use G-string Mahogany (?} soprano

It may be koa rather than mahogany. I owned one a few years ago, sold it when I was downsizing, and now wish I would have kept it. (If I were in the market, i might consider yours! I’m not … ) Pricing on these is weird because they’re hard to find but not a familiar brand. Good luck!
  3. hendulele

Sam Bush?

Sam and Bela play together often on the bluegrass festival circuit. If their bands are at the same event, they’ll always sit in together (and with Jerry Douglas… )
  4. hendulele

What do you play when 1st asked

Bad Moon Rising. Sometimes I’ll sing “there’s a bathroom on the right.”
  5. hendulele

SOTU 561 "MORAL TURPITUDE"

Val, I’m so sorry to hear about Harry. I hope he recovers quickly. Head wounds bleed, frighteningly so. Here’s to a quick return to health. As Rob said, if we must, here’s another on the theme of lotharios:
  6. hendulele

Persistent fret buzz

Is the saddle straight or compensated? If the former, you may need to replace it with a compensated one. If the latter, the compensation may be off (or it may be in the wrong position, IOW, reversed in the slot).
  7. hendulele

Martin S1 - is it worth buying a new one right now?

The S1 remains an excellent ukulele. The lighter fretboard and bridge are a bit of a letdown, but they have no effect on the quality. I would consider the Kiwaya, too. They are gems but yes a bit pricey.
  8. hendulele

Season 559 - Everybody Plays the Fool

Thanks for hosting, Jim. Love the new intro. I think I’m first with this one. Take one!
  9. hendulele

Ohana SK50MG Soprano

I had an SK-35G that I foolishly let go during a period when I divested several solid-wood instruments because our house made regulating humidity difficult, even with cases. (lesson: try harder, move, or both 😂) I kept an SK-28 because I love the homage to the Nunes style. And, like its...
  10. hendulele

Soprano Ebony nuts

Same here. The nut edges were annoying to negotiate.
  11. hendulele

October 16th- A Special Day

Happy Uke Birthday, Vic!
  12. hendulele

Week 557 - For Four: 444 Revisited

I have learned that Wagon Wheel is becoming quite the polarizing song among jam clubs and musicians generally. (I’ve called it the Whipping Post/Free Bird/Stairway of the 21st century.) if you’re playing for an audience, everybody loves it. It’s a simple enough song that any decent player can...
  13. hendulele

SEASON 556- 1972

Another from “Will the Circle …” It’s the record that introduced me to Doc Watson (I much later learned he was a distant cousin by marriage …) I’ll leave the Doc tributes to Billy Strings. If I’m doing a Hank Williams song, though, I have to play my Martin.
  14. hendulele

SEASON 556- 1972

Happy Birthday, Dave! The second half is better.
  15. hendulele

New String Day

I put a set of Sugars on my Martin 0XK concert (HPL). I like the feel and the sound much better than the Martin strings, and I typically prefer fluorocarbons. The HPL is a little bass- and midrange-heavy. The Sugars accentuate the upper registers and give the uke a more balanced sound. I may...
  16. hendulele

SEASON 556- 1972

A very nice year for music, indeed. Tanya Tucker’s first album was released that year, and this song was part of a two-sided single that reached #5 on the country charts. She was 13 at the time, and dealt with some adult material, to say the least. Charley Crockett recorded this a couple years...
  17. hendulele

The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Appropriate for the Island, I suppose — We helped host an open uke jam at the recent World of Bluegrass festival and I pitched a story to the local media sponsor. The idea: come on down, play a ukulele at a music festival! The station caught us playing at a local senior center. The segment was...
  18. hendulele

As seen on TV … The Raleigh Uke Jam?

We helped host an open uke jam at the recent World of Bluegrass festival and I pitched a story to the local media sponsor. The idea: come on down, play a ukulele at a music festival! The station caught us playing at a local senior center. The segment was pushed back because Hurricane Ian had its...
  19. hendulele

Bar Chords - what the heck?

I’ll second this. our club recently hosted a workshop with Ukester Brown, and David started at the 5th fret. Wow. That was a revelation. And yes, setup at the nut is essential. Besides, if the action is too high there, your intonation will be off and even open chords will sound weird.
  20. hendulele

New 2022 Martin C1 Concert Ukulele - Natural , Now in Stock

From the sound sample, the C1 sounds a little brighter than the 0XK. The lack of brightness is my only gripe about the 0XK. But I wouldn’t swap it for the C1. It’s so durable and easy to play. Mine has the Grover friction tuners, which work great. It‘s become a go-to gigger. I also own a C1K...