Search results

1. DownUpDave

NUD Kiwaya sopranino

It's been a while since I have done a NUD post. Although I have had this for a couple weeks I've only recently spent much time with it. "It" is a Kiwaya U-Trip 02 pineapple shaped sopranino made from layered mahogany veneer. I bought this from Matt at World of Ukes, transaction was flawless and...
  2. DownUpDave

Tell me about your Sopranino

I don't know why but I have become fascinated with sopranino sized ukeleles. I actually do know why, I want something small for cycle touring. I have brought a super soprano along but even that takes up a bit too much space. So all you owners and or players of sopraninos tell me about them. How...
  3. DownUpDave

Journey Instruments OF660 travel guitar

I purchased an all carbon fiber travel guitar with detachable neck called the Journey Instruments OF660. As you can see from the pictures it is a marvel of engineering, the neck detaches and it fits neatly into a high quality travel bag. It’s is sized to meet airline carry on luggage size...
  4. DownUpDave

Small to big

When I wanted to explore a steel string instrument I started with a tenor guitar. I figured the smaller size and 4 strings would help the transition from uke. It did but it still felt uncomfortable and a stretch, pun intended. I persisted through some hand pain and even back pain but I loved the...
  5. DownUpDave

Six new LfdM tenors at HMS

HMS has received the new patch of six tenors that Luis just sent them. The recording on their Vimeo channel was late Saturday June 4th and only five were posted for sale on their site. I guess one has sold already. Have a listen with good headphones or earbuds for an audio treat. They all sound...
  6. DownUpDave

NUD Enya Nova with a twist

I dont particularly love the sound of non-wooden ukuleles but they serve a purpose. I own two Enya X1 which are made from counter top laminate, think Arborite. They are durable and have a pleasing mellow sound. I got this Enya Nova as a Christmas present.......because I was curious from all the...
  7. DownUpDave

LfdM teaser

Luis is building 4 tenor ukuleles at the moment. Three are customer orders and one will eventually be sent to HMS for your consideration. That one will be bearclaw sitka spruce and Amazon rosewood. Luis is already excited about the tap tone of this one. I will update with more pictures as...
  8. DownUpDave

Wound 3rd strings

All my tenors are low G and I prefer a wound 4th paired with a wound 3rd. The very best wound 3rd was from South Coast but with Dirks passing the strings are no longer available. Most people have gravitated to the Thomastik CF27, it is very squeekless. But paired with a Fremont Soloist which is...
  9. DownUpDave

How about a picture of YOU with your favorite uke

I thought this might be a fun idea. If you are not too shy to post a picture of yourself with your favorite uke it might be fun to but a face to the name. Because "one" favorite ukulele is not always the case feel free to include multiples. Say the make of ukulele the woods and why you love it...
  10. DownUpDave

These are a few a my favorite things

These are a few of my favorite things Mary Poppins said it best........THESE are a few of my favorite things. Edit, I was just corrected it was Julie Andrews in the sound of music. Yes the pain meds seemed to have scrambled my brain Kathryn I won't be playing for a long time while...
  11. DownUpDave

NUD....sorta, old friend returns

The very first uke I bought was an all mahogany laminate Gretsch G9120 tenor. The ensuing years saw me buy other ukuleles and this eventually didnt get played much. About three years ago I loaned this to someone who wanted to learn how to play ukulele. I never really heard much from him after...
  12. DownUpDave

NGD.....Cordoba Cadete

I am enjoying playing both steel string and nylon string guitars. The Cordoba C10 crossover I have is a full size instrument and I wanted to try something a bit smaller. The C10 is all solid spruce and rosewood and I don't want to travel with it so a smaller less expensive guitar was in order...
  13. DownUpDave

New LfdM tenors with a twist

Luis called me up to his place to look at the new batch of tenors he will be sending off to HMS shortly. He decided to eliminate his usual arm rest, cutaway and slotted headstock. These are upcharge options to his base price so these 4 tenors will be lower priced then his usual ones sold by...
  14. DownUpDave

FS Godin Multiuke Natural

Up for sale is my Godin Multiuke Natural which is the cedar top, mahogany chambered back. I bought this new in Oct 2017, so one year old. It has been played maybe a total of 3 hrs, in new condition. Comes with the Godin heavily padded orginal gigbag. It is strung with Thomastik CF30, CF27 wound...
  15. DownUpDave

NUD LfdM 19" super tenor

I picked up my new LfdM 19" super tenor from Luis about one week ago and have been playing it every day since, below are the details *Tenor body increased depth to 3-1/4" *19 inch scale length, joins at 15th fret *non-cutaway, round sound hole *Side sound port *Arm rest *Radiused macassar ebony...
  16. DownUpDave

FS Mya Moe baritone

FS Mya Moe baritone PRICE DROP For sale is a Mya Moe baritone, bearclaw spruce top cocobolo back and sides with curly maple bindings. I bought this about 16 months ago from the original owner and it came to me in as new condition. It is pretty much the same way now, excellent +++ shape. I have...
  17. DownUpDave

FS Kamaka HF-2L

FS Kamaka HF-2L PRICE DROP Up for sale is my Kamaka HF-2L, this is a super concert, which is concert body with tenor neck and scale length. I have owned this going on two years and am the third owner. This instrument is in excellent +++ condition, built July 09 2015, see picture. No dings...
  18. DownUpDave

Strings......they can make or break an instrument

I have been called the mad scientist string changer by sam13, (Simon) and Solorule (Brenda) calls me Stringman. I just found out early on that each uke can be a law unto itself and taking the time to find the strings that sound best is worth while. Once I find it I keep that particular set on...
  19. DownUpDave

Rediscovered basement gem

There are threads on here that sometimes go......." what's the use of owning so many ukes, you can only play one at a time". I get that and I also firmly believe to become a virtuoso sticking to one instrument is beneficial. It becomes a part of you, like Jake with his Kamaka tenor. I will...
  20. DownUpDave

SERIOUS Eye Candy

Luis from LfdM just sent me these pictures of the 4 tenors he completed and has just shipped off to HMS. The pictures were just intented for me as I had helped him out with some strings but I know he won't mind me sharing. Left to right *Engleman spruce / Cocobolo, 6 string w Gotoh stealth...