Search results

1. ksquine

White Nail Polish and Cinnamon: The Perfect Combo for Mistakes in Maple

Awesome.....mistake fixer for Maple is the hardest to get right. I might need this someday
  2. ksquine

Binding Day

Oh dear....More 0ptions mean more decisions :unsure:
  3. ksquine

Four Concerts

Tasty Tasty Tasty
  4. ksquine

Rope glues

Well, so far so good. Tightbond III was way better. I bent it with no veneer backer to ~4" diameter (weissenborn build). I only broke it in a couple places...probably bad glue joints. I think for the body I'll keep the strips short and bend/fit as I go. No way I could deal with a 40" srip...
  5. ksquine

I may have made a bad choice. Wenge wood

The heel looks pretty nice. Looks like you have a lot of work sunk into it already. If you can get it shaped up, it should be OK in final use.
  6. ksquine

Rope glues

Nice....how did it bend? Looks like you glued veneer to one side
  7. ksquine

Rope glues

I want to make some rope binding for my next build. Any suggestions on glues that won't melt on a bending iron?
  8. ksquine

New Starter

Just don't hire his brother.....
  9. ksquine

Softwood Bending Thickness?

I'm starting a pallet build for a concert uke. I thought it would be a good item for the Yankee Swap at work this Christmas. I scored a classy pallet at work that had some nice material in it. ;) What's a good thickness to bend softwood sides? It might be hemlock, spruce, fir or something...
  10. ksquine

Ken Timms Uke review on Got A Uke

Just saw the review of one of Ken's ukuleles on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1AeXdWVlX8 Seems like he liked it...."the ukulele to end ukulele acquisition syndrome". Now that's saying something! Nice work Mr and Mrs. Timms :cool:
  11. ksquine

Real or Fake Jumbo

Who cares about the guitar.....I need his outfit I guess it could have been a custom build for Hank Snow but not the one he's pictured with. Google images show him pictured playing a variety of different guitars. Probably another case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
  12. ksquine

Wide is beautiful

Might just be an April Fool's joke.....but hmmmmm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj8rJmCIilM To quote Steven Wright: "some people are scared of heights...I'm scared of widths"
  13. ksquine

Latest Non-Ukulele project

It ain't a uke but here's what I've been up to lately.... A small body guitar, like a Taylor GS Mini. 23.5" scale, spruce top, mystery wood back/sides, rosette, spanish cedar neck, ivoroid binding. Huge sound from this little guitar!!
  14. ksquine

My latest concert uke

Been a while since I posted anything new. Here's my latest project completed. Its a Martin concert copy in all mahogany. Ziricote fingerboard, spanish cedar neck, tortoise shell binding, french polish shellac finish. This is some of my Hibdon Hardwood black friday sale wood. Not the most...
  15. ksquine

bending sides

Koa isn't hard to bend....of course you can find examples of any wood that just won't cooperate. I'd say just get a simple hot pipe. Its much cheaper and flexible for the hobby builder than all the work required to make a bending form. Here's a photo of my set up....cost about $20 with the...
  16. ksquine

It has a name??

You know that pointy shape at the end of a Martin ukulele fretboard has a name? Its called a "Pondalog" according to some Martin guys in a Stewmac video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokdH-rfsYs I've worked in a lot of factories and its funny how everything on the line gets a name...
  17. ksquine

New Slot head Tenor build brewing…

I've used the Hana Lima tenor plans a few times and I'm very happy with the results. I modified to a bolt on neck, tie-block bridge, and slot head but kept the bracing as they show. I like Gotoh tuners because they are the narrowest and you can have a thinner head stock. Grovers are fine and...
  18. ksquine

Solid Linings Specs

For all you fans of solid linings.... What size linings would you make for a soprano? And, what's your material of choice?
  19. ksquine

Uke on the cheap!

Been a while since I posted anything new. Here's my latest ukulele. Concert size Martin copy in all mahogany, tortoise binding, Stewmac bridge, abalone inlay, bwb and red purflings. This one is for a friend of mine in Shanghai. (red purfling for a good commie color) I now have customers on two...
  20. ksquine

Hibdon Hardwoods Black Friday Sale

Any St Louis area luthiers going to the Hibdon Hardwood's sale on Friday? I really don't need any more wood now but I can't resist the smell of the place. I'll probably be there in the morning....lets meet up if any one else will be there.