Search results

1. sequoia

Nuts/saddles: bone vs synthetic vs wood

Bob is right of course that it does take a little practice to get it down, but almost everything with building ukuleles has a learning curve some of which are steeper than others. (Bumper sticker seen on a car the other day: "Oh no! Not another learning curve!") I will also add that I have a...
  2. sequoia

No difference in sound between bleached and unbleached bone. I tried to stain a bleached bone saddle once using a tea solution. It came out looking kinda weird, but weirdly attractive. I just use bleached now. It is a question of taste.
  3. sequoia

This one I can answer really quick. To thin a saddle down to 1/8 inch takes me about 30 seconds of elbow grease. Put the bridge in a vise. You don't use sandpaper initially but a rough bastard file which takes off the bone very quickly. Then use rough sandpaper to take out the tool marks. Use...
  4. sequoia

Why does lowering string action (without buzzing) cause decreased volume?

Probably not. As I remember I took it WAY down like 0.018 or so at the first fret. Lowering the nut is alway a part of set-up for me. Just not so much anymore.
  5. sequoia

Actually I did drastically lower the action at the nut one time and it did indeed noticeably lower the volume.
  6. sequoia

Lowering the action can indeed lower the apparent volume of an ukulele. I'll admit I was always a bit puzzled by this phenomenon, but I think John has hit it on head: It is a leverage issue. So compromise is in order, high enough to give good volume and yet low enough to give good playability so...
  7. sequoia

Shipping during extreme cold

Good move. Also keep in mind that very cold air is very dry air.
  8. sequoia

Building a Ukulele with Sustain

Yup. That sounds about right :unsure: Aim for 0.080 on your top (depending) and thin on your bracing (depending) and everything will be alright. It will sound like an ukulele in the end.
  9. sequoia

StewMac Concert Ukulele Kit

There are many schools of thought on this and many, many UU threads. I'm of the school that wants to keep the top vibrating freely by not tieing off bracing to sides, or to top braces. The risk is that the top is not as structurally sound when braces are not tied off but... On my tenors, the...
  10. sequoia

Correct. The bridge patch should tie off to the bracing. That was a goof on SMD's part. Hello QC/QA. Come on, if things are not hard enough for the beginner already, at least send them correct sized parts. I've always found it interesting that the SMD concert kit uses X bracing while the tenor...
  11. sequoia

1.) Probably will not make a whole lot of difference, but I would plane the blank down to the thickness that the kit uses. 2.) I would not extend the sound hole braces to contact the top brace. You want that part of the sound board to move. Follow the plan.
  12. sequoia

Fascinating stuff

Seems a bit gimmicky to me, but hey, who knows, it helps to have an angle and look she got on TV with the mushroom guitar. She did say that the honeycomb guitar was unplayable with the honey and bees inside. Also some of the guitars shown hanging looked an awful lot like Taylors to me...
  13. sequoia

What's happening in your shed?

I don't do arm bevels as I see them as unnecessary and an affectation. I've played the ukulele for years and just don't see the need. Some do.... Where to go from here is a bit difficult for me to say. From the picture it seems you are committed to do something. Time to get creative. Good luck...
  14. sequoia

Dangerous stuff making ukuleles.

How many people here are familiar with Sneezewood? True to its name it causes violent sneezing after exposure. Interesting wood though. It's hard as hell and has an interesting grain. Very stable. Used to make xylophones. I think I'll pass on making a Sneezewood ukulele, but if anybody else...
  15. sequoia

Dangerous stuff making ukuleles.

Just as a reminder, most wood and wood dust causes sensitization to the toxin over time. In other words, you may get a free pass in the beginning, but eventually, depending on the wood, the toxin involved and your own physiology, you will become allergic. Sometimes drastically so. So the take...
  16. sequoia

Bridge placement, based on nut-to-12th fret measurement

I mean the entire length of the scale of 17 inches from nut to saddle making it 17 3/32 inches with compensation.
  17. sequoia

Bridge placement, based on nut-to-12th fret measurement

I think the variable that is missing in this discussion is action height. If the action is really high, the string stretches and lengthens that much more which would change your compensation figure. I set my string action to medium and use a figure of 3/32" from the face of the nut to the center...
  18. sequoia

Clear Scratchguard Material

I once tried to use that stuff they sell in stores in clear sheets that is used to repair cell phone screens. It sorta worked if you got the surface extremely clean with no dust specks at all. Otherwise you get little bubbles. I abandoned the idea after a while because I really felt like it...
  19. sequoia

Oil Stained Peghead REpair?

Pictures are always good.