Search results

1. L

Ask the person after you a random question

I don't know what those cute things are, but they are very much so. I'm gonna help Joe T out, y'all missed something. I figured there was reason for such randomness, and I was correct... How old was the oldest living person you've ever spoken with and what did you talk about?
  2. L

Learning Keys - Yeah, I'm slow

Structured improv. I get it. I need to learn more about "standard" song patterns. I'm pretty familiar with 12-bar blues. I need to wrap my head around 8-bar. I've heard of AABA, but never really looked into it. I'm sure there are others. Topic for another thread, I suppose.
  3. L

Nice! So, I'm not the only one who needs visual aids. I was just wondering a few minutes ago... at what point does aimless noodling become inspired improvisation? :)
  4. L

I almost bought a chord wheel last year, but couldn't find one that didn't look like a piece of crap. And it's still not the "wall art" that I'm looking for. I have all the reference material in the world at my fingertips. Books, laptop, even on my phone. I want something I can glance at while...
  5. L

What the heck are these?

Nothing so dramatic. It's just the locking mechanism to lock the pliers onto the wire. The perfs are just to make it easier to grip. A video is worth 10,000 words.
  6. L

What the heck are these?

Safety wire twisting pliers! Used them daily as a nuclear weapons tech in the USAF back in the day. I still have a pair in my toolbox that I use every now and then. Safety wire is wonderful stuff when you have a nut that you don't want to loosen. You just have to drill a hole in the nut to put...
  7. L

^^^ thats's good, but overkill. For me. I've somehow learned to play all of those standard chords (and several variants). I don't need to fingering charts. That's just visual noise for me at this point. (though, in the beginning, it was VERY useful!) Although, I would have to look up Bdim...
  8. L

Circle of 5ths is cool, but I think I'd actually do better with a simple chart. One that has a line for each key showing each numerical note on the scale for that chord. Combined with a chart that will show the shapes that I'm already used to playing... and where each numerical note is in the...
  9. L

I'm just skimming the responses here for the moment. Still busy out in the garage. (why is it so danged hot out there?) But, the notion of w-w-h-w-whatever along a single string... I get it. But, as noted in the same post, I don't play that way. If I need a note that's beyond the reach of where...
  10. L

I'm surprised at that. I know you've got a long thread of your musical journey that I've never bothered to look at because it's just too long. (I'm weird like that... don't like long forum threads) But, I just assumed that there would be some videos in there! Even I have a couple videos out...
  11. L

Heh. My wife does claim (repeatedly) that she hates jazz. So, those "sour notes" jump out at her. I do like "accent" notes. Something that's dissonant in just the right way, like adding a finger to a chord that makes it either "not a common chord", or something really obscure. Just a little...
  12. L

As you noted, I'm probably a good candidate for "playing by ear", and that's mostly what I've been doing other than using tab sheets to help me along. I do a lot of chord substitutions, accentuating with 7ths, 6ths, sus chords, etc. Recently, I have started playing with recorded music or...
  13. L

^^^ Ripock, I love you, man... but, your brain works differently from mine. I think we like similar music and probably attempt to play similarly, but you're on a much deeper level than I am. So, what you're asking me to do is learn to play modes of a key... before I've really learned the keys...
  14. L

Rock. If you were a high school senior right now, having your life experience and knowing the current state of our society and economy, what would be your 5-year-plan?
  15. L

Okay, so I've been plunking on a uke since... I think 2009. I got more serious about it when COVID started, so I've been playing more (nearly every day) for 3 years. And my playing has (I think) improved a lot. I can noodle "fluently" around 3 shapes of the blues scale, and one shape of the...
  16. L

Blues. What genre of music that you actually LIKE do you listen to the least? (I'd have to say either "classic country" from pre-1980, or ragtime)
  17. L

Ebikes

Sometimes they just know, right? She could tell you really liked it, and wasn't worried about the money. And she also knows you don't like to shop. The deed is done!
  18. L

Nope. I did a local jury on an interesting DWI case, though. Lady was taking pain killers for a back injury and also drinking alcohol. Got in an argument with her BF and decided to drive to the store. Backed into her neighbors car across the street! She barely got out of her own driveway... but...
  19. L

Caffeine? About 20 minutes ago. But, I don't drink coffee. I generally drink soft drinks. (I used to be "sugared only", but when I went Keto a few years ago, I finally accepted diet drinks) I drink unsweetened iced tea a lot. Sometimes (rarely) drink hot tea with honey. But, I probably have a...
  20. L

Newbie following in some footsteps.

I was thinking similarly in a way. If you don't want her to find it in the future and just see it as "some old junk in grandpa's attic", you need to create some memories with her that include it. Then, it will mean something to her and have a chance at continuing its life into another century!