Search results

1. R

What did you do today? Anything hobby-related.

Since I recently joined the family of iPad/tablet users for my music, I've been slowly transferring music from my desktop to my iPad and PiaScore. Air Drop makes it super easy. I'm reminded of all the great music I've collected over the years, and I'm working on updating/editing/etc. my...
  2. R

What did you do today? Anything hobby-related.

Bought some ukulele stuff on Amazon....... a tray to trick out my iPad stand, and a Cocobolo ukulele T-shirt.
  3. R

iPad update

That’s an awesome idea. Thanks.
  4. R

iPad update

It's in an Otterbox case. Taking no chances.
  5. R

iPad update

I think I'm going to stick with my regular Peak music stand. I did try out a compact one with the iPad clamp. It was nice that it was so compact and less bulky, but it was pretty easy to tip over with my larger iPad. Made me nervous. The leader of my secondary uke group showed me how to use the...
  6. R

iPad update

I resisted for a long time, even as many of my group members went to tablets & sang their praises. These things finally swayed me 1. Way too many binders & stacks of printed music all over my office. I cleared out a file cabinet drawer to "organize" my printed music. It didn't help much. I...
  7. R

iPad update

Yep.....bloody expensive for sure. I recently sold a ukulele, and also had some Christmas money saved up. I knew it would have to be the 12.9 inch iPad to get me to ditch paper music.
  8. R

iPad update

These concerns are definitely part of my decision process. The iPad holder I have is attached to a lightweight/compact camera tripod that I had laying around my office. I'll try it out at a uke practice next week to see what I think about it. I might upgrade to a better, but still fairly...
  9. R

iPad update

I've finally joined the iPad/Tablet family. It will take awhile to wean myself off paper music & all these binders in my office, but at least I've taken the first step. I choose to go big and got the iPad Pro 12.9 inch/128 GB. My group uses PiaScore, and my group leader taught a PiaScore class...
  10. R

Cynthia Lin is giving a concert and workshop in my town (Vancouver-ish, Canada) in May!!!!!

Wow, that's an awesome line-up for a workshop. My group here in Salt Lake City has Stu Fuchs coming for a workshop in May. So good to see these artists & great teachers out doing their thing in public once again!
  11. R

To the more experienced players - Have you held onto your first ukulele?

First ukulele......No, I gifted it to a friend who was just starting to play First good ukulele......Yes, I still have my circa 2006 KoAloha that was a Christmas present from my mom. Inherit.....all my ukes will go to my nephew who plays guitar and ukulele
  12. R

Learning second position chords

This is basically how I do it. I use ukebuddy.com to look at alternative fingerings for chords. I'll pick one that's easy for me to play & that sounds good. I have my basic C, G, D, F, and some minor & 7th chords fairly memorized. I notate them on my music to jog my memory. I'll throw them in...
  13. R

Flight travel concert opinions

Does anyone have a Flight travel concert? Opinions? I've read the review by Baz/Got A Uke and he seems to like the concert model. I've read that it's a very heavy uke (600 grams). How is the string height/action, and intonation? I recently sold my Blackbird Clara as I haven't been taking a uke...
  14. R

What's the big deal with E major?

Amen sister. Probably why our church band music is often in the key of E, since the lead sheets are for guitar. They also have the luxury of using their capo if they want easier chord shapes. I'm not a capo fan on my uke.
  15. R

What's the big deal with E major?

First off, I'll confess that I cheat a lot on chord shapes. Someone mentioned playing what works for you, and that's my philosophy. My fingers aren't flexible or long, so I find work arounds. Eliminate a double note (Gm7 instead of Bb), use my thumb, use a barre chord, etc. My worship band at...
  16. R

Is there a song or tune you’re currently obsessed with learning to play?

Just started working on "Across The Great Divide" by Kate Wolf (also Nanci Griffith). Trying to decide which key I can sing it best in......G or A. Nanci sings it in A, so I can sing along with her video. That feels ok, but G feels a tiny bit better for me vocally. Kate Wolf sings it in Ab. I...
  17. R

Just sit on it!

At home I use a basic wooden office chair, no arms, rolling casters. I perch on the edge of it mostly and try not to slouch. At church, I mostly play standing. I do have a stool to sit on between songs or when I'm playing an instrumental/chord melody piece. The stools that were already in the...
  18. R

TBUG 2022

Well that's a bummer Nickie. I really enjoyed TBUG 2019. Meeting folks like Craig Chee & Sarah Maisel, and Victoria Vox in person was amazing. It was great to finally meet the ukulele dealers like Mim, Mike from Uke Republic, and Donna from Loprinzi that I'd only met by email or on the phone...
  19. R

TBUG 2022

Just noticed this post and checked out the TBUG website.......DRAT! I'm a St. Pete native living in Utah, and I have family in the Tampa Bay area. I attended TBUG in 2019 as a combination uke festival and family visit. The best of both worlds. I had a blast last time, and was hoping to attend...
  20. R

Neck strap button vs tying to headstock

I always found tying to the headstock got in the way of my fretting hand.