Search results

1. Down Up Dick

Soprano Fifths

Merlin, did you try two finger, mandolin chords? Look ‘em up.
  2. Down Up Dick

Soprano Fifths

Well, Ukecaster . . . Ha!
  3. Down Up Dick

Accompanying Instruments.

George, one fixes a leaf or a piece of leaf, between his lips and blows across it. One can also hold a leaf between his fingers and blow through them. It takes a little adjusting and readjusting, and mostly we just made annoying noises with our special talent. The ones who couldn’t do it were...
  4. Down Up Dick

Soprano Fifths

Okay, Wiggy, I will. I thought it might be fun to noodle with it in my music room. 🎼
  5. Down Up Dick

Old Dog, New Tricks

Sorry, I don’t understand your reply, but I guess some people really can’t learn “New Tricks.”
  6. Down Up Dick

Beach Vollyball

Well, no more football for me and baseball’s a long way off. I still wonder if they have Indoor Girls Beach Vollyball?
  7. Down Up Dick

Old Dog, New Tricks

Have you ever considered playing some other instrument, or even learning to play left handed? Variety is the spice of life, and music is, after all, music.
  8. Down Up Dick

Old Dog, New Tricks

Yeah, George, I couldn’t agree more. I have to admit it, but I was never really comfortable on mine except when I was on some nice, quiet back road. However, that’s kinda difficult to find nowadays. I mostly used mine to go to work and back in Texas, and then I went overseas. I didn’t have...
  9. Down Up Dick

Harping Again (?)

I played my low, low D harp last night. I love those low notes! I retuned it to cross harp, so now it’s really in low G - cross harp. It’s good for low down blues and folk. I can still play it in low D, but it’s difficult to bend the low notes.
  10. Down Up Dick

Soprano Fifths

Well, thanks for the info, UUers. Bill1, I have three mandolins now. I also have an Irish banjo that is tuned GDAE which I love to play. However, the mandolins are my principal instruments. I only wanted to to use the GDAE strings on my soprano because I almost never play it, and I thought...
  11. Down Up Dick

Soprano Fifths

Has anyone tried the Aquila fifths (GDAE) on a soprano? Concert? Got any info?
  12. Down Up Dick

Harping Again (?)

Wow! Jim, that was great. I’m a big fan of Ol’ Hoagy. One of my favorite pieces is Lazy Bones, but I like many of his others too. I guess I like the old times. I don’t seem to fit in now-a-days.
  13. Down Up Dick

Harping Again (?)

I’ll probably be playin‘ the other kinda harp too in my not so far away future — ahhh, well . . .
  14. Down Up Dick

Harping Again (?)

Tried my natural minor (Cm) harp tonight, but the session wasn’t entirely successful. It did okay with “Pretty Polly” and “Ghost Riders . . “, but I had problems trying to remember any more pieces that would fit the natural minor. I really prefer “harmonic minor” harps I guess. I have two of...
  15. Down Up Dick

Tenor Guitar

Hi, Patrick, my Kala TG is tuned D G B D, and my Blueridge TG is tuned C G B D for Plectrum guitar tunes. I tuned it once before to G D A E and it sounded horrible. I read somewhere that sometimes that happens, and one has to fix it, but I don’t remember how. I used D’Addario 42, 30, 20...
  16. Down Up Dick

Harping Again (?)

I played my Hohner Echo tremolo harp today and had a lotta fun with it. It sounds good with folk tunes, gospel and maybe a little Bach. It’s really fun to play. I’d like a bigger one, but they’re too expensive now. I have two in C and the Echo is in G. I guess that’s enough. I usta have...
  17. Down Up Dick

Tenor Guitar

Played well by ear today — Ol’ Cowboy Tunes — with CHORDS! I had a really good day today, with both my mandolin and my tenor guitar. I find myself, more and more, playing by ear. I just can’t seem to put my fingers where the written music tells me to. It must be an old guy thing.
  18. Down Up Dick

Dealing with pain

Yeah, I usta walk around while playing my instruments. All except for my tuba. Anyway, now, when I’ve tried it, I can’t play as long because I get tired and stuff starts ta hurt. Exercise and old age ain’t really a good mix — ahhh, well . . .
  19. Down Up Dick

Harping Again (?)

I’m still goin’ through my harps and harp stuff. Today I checked out my minor tuned harps. I played the harmonic ones okay, but I had to dig into my harp binder to figure out the natural minor ones. I’m still not sure how I usta play em. I’ll hafta read some more about them. I really like...
  20. Down Up Dick

Harping Again (?)

Lotta good times in a Special 20, Staredge. Keep at it, you’ll be glad you did.