Search results

1. Barbablanca

Season 511 It's Essential!

This song was inspired by a phrase my Dad used to use to me all the time when I was a kid: "You'll end up sweeping the streets!" I always wondered what was so evil about sweeping the streets... and still do. I hope you like:
  2. Barbablanca

if 518 is available, I'll take that one.
  3. Barbablanca

SOTU 510 | Friends & Family

I was a lonely adolescent. I didn't really have any friends. I was in the RAF (Air Force) from 15 to 18 doing an apprenticeship and I didn't get on with any of the other guys. But I did have one best friend. Who was that? Give this a listen and you'll find out. Oh, and stay till the end to find...
  4. Barbablanca

SOTU 510 | Friends & Family

Wow what a generous (and incredibly useful) prize! I have one that I use for all my multi-tracking. It's an amazing video cassette sized portable studio and it also does other fancy things too, that I have seldom explored! Great theme too.... I hope someone does Eric Bogle's "Little scraps of...
  5. Barbablanca

Season 509 - ‘Water, water everywhere…’

Here is one the muse inspired after I had ruminated on the theme for a couple of days. I must stress this is NOT autobiographical 😉 Hope you enjoy this tale of illicit passion and guilt
  6. Barbablanca

Season 508 - The French Connection

Congrats, John! Thanks for a great week, Ylle.
  7. Barbablanca

Here is a setting I composed this morning for a short poem by Verlaine that I have always liked. It shows the poet really had the blues, man! I have put a translation of the poem into English (non rhyming version) at the end of the Lyrics & Chords section in the description. I hope you enjoy:
  8. Barbablanca

I have recently walked "The Trail of the Exiles" a path from "Spanish" Catalonia over the Pyrenes into "French" Catalonia. It is one of the paths trod by hundreds of thousands of Spanish Republicans fleeing the vengeance of Franco towards the end of the Spanish Civil War (1936-39). Before I...
  9. Barbablanca

Season 507:Bitter/sweet

I thought I wouldn't have time for another song this week due to my daughter visiting us from Paris. But she has not slept a single night with us yet. She's been with friends and we have only seen her for a grand total of 2 hours in the last 48.... So it goes.... Anyway the positive thing to...
  10. Barbablanca

Season 507:Bitter/sweet

My first contribution this week. I have an idea for another one, if I get time (my daughter arrives tonight from Paris for a short visit and my son and grandson are coming later in the week). My narrator reflects back on a relationship that is now dead, but he wishes it wasn't. Hope you enjoy:
  11. Barbablanca

Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary...

I was thinking about the power of fear and how most social control is built on it. Today, for example, fear is behind both the pro-vaccine lobby (fear of getting the virus) and the anti-vaccine groupings (fear that there is something more sinister about the shots, or else the cure will be worse...
  12. Barbablanca

Season 506-Now, THAT'S scary...

Not sure I'll get time to contribute a new song this week (we're harvesting olives in the allotment, preparing for my son and grandson's visit next week and I'm helping a friend with a translation... as well as keeping to my commitment with the local pensioners' rambling group). As for the...
  13. Barbablanca

Season 505 - S-P-E-L-L-I-T-O-U-T

I thought I was done for this week, but after posting my other song I had the experience that led to me writing this one. We all like to think we've left our prejudices behind, but sometimes a tiny incident can remind you that the brainwashing process that started when you were still in nappies...
  14. Barbablanca

Season 505 - S-P-E-L-L-I-T-O-U-T

The first time I ever learned about this spelling out of lyrics was at a Christian Revivalist Meeting in Liverpool. My Mum was a bit of a seeker and gave it a try for one night before deciding it was not for us. At the time, I was five; I barely knew the alphabet back then, but I remember to...
  15. Barbablanca

Season #502 - Look What They've Done To My Song Ma!

Felicitats to the winners! Great week, Jim. PS Did I tell you my maternal Grandma was a Yates?
  16. Barbablanca

SEASON 504- Music as an empathetic friend

Well that's her off my Xmas Card list 😜😁
  17. Barbablanca

PS I would be surprised (indeed shocked) if Michelle Shocked really did write that note. I suspect she probably paid someone to look after her copyright issues and it is them who are sending out the threatening letters. They probably get paid for every issue they spot, so will not distinguish...
  18. Barbablanca

An original from me written especially for this season. It speaks for itself. Hope you enjoy: PS It's dedicated to one of my favourite Seasonistas.
  19. Barbablanca

SEASON 503 "SUPERMARKET SWEEP!!!"

You don't get many of these in supermarkets (though I did buy one once in Lidl) - but I hope this song fits the bill as things that we buy (and continue acquiring obsessively). This songs asks the age old question do I have....
  20. Barbablanca

SEASON 503 "SUPERMARKET SWEEP!!!"

I did try to get a whole song out of this one liner - but couldn't get it to go anywhere. "My girlfriend said she wanted me to take her down the aisle... so, I took her to Tesco's"