Search results

1. snowdenn

Kanile'a/Islander Bridge Pin Slots Face Backwards?

I looked through a few threads but I couldn't find an answer to this question. I dimly recall someone saying the slot/groove in the pin is supposed to face "backwards" away from the headstock. Is this correct? I just got a GL6, and as I was trying to tune, the string popped out (but the pin...
  2. snowdenn

Question about an Islander GL6

Not sure if this goes here or in a different forum. I've been thinking about getting an Islander GL6 and found one online with a bit of a discount. The discount is because of some small marks on the heel, and because of a really small gap between the neck and body on the treble side of the heel...
  3. snowdenn

Woodpecker Instruments?

Anyone heard of or have any experience with this brand? They make mini/travel guitars and ukuleles at what seems like somewhere between entry level and mid-tier quality/cost. Some of their instrument descriptions say solid koa, though I'm willing to bet they're referring to non-Hawaiian acacia...
  4. snowdenn

If your name is "Eric W."

There's a custom Pono tenor being sold by HMS on Reverb right now, with a slotted headstock, spruce and rosewood body, sunburst, cutaway, an arm bevel, and your name on it, if your name is Eric W. I'm not the type to put my name on my instrument. I think it's a bit cheesy, but if that's your...
  5. snowdenn

Is This an Acceptable B-stock Blemish?

Just wondering what counts as an acceptable B-stock blemish. For an otherwise new instrument, does B-stock mean superficial only, or does it also includes dings, dents, and the like? Would the chip in the binding pictured below be acceptable as B-stock?
  6. snowdenn

Wound Nylon/Fluorocarbons + Steel Strings for Baritone?

I was following another thread about steel string baritones, and saw a link about the possibility of putting special, low tension "soft" steel strings on regularly braced/built baritones. I think they were made for classical guitars. There's still a worry about too much tension, as these steel...
  7. snowdenn

The new KoAlanas?

Has anybody tried any of the new KoAlana ukuleles? I've been helping someone look for a decent all laminate, and these came up. Personally, I love KoAlohas, and the Opios are great, but I'm not sure what to make of their laminate models. Anyone have experience with them? This person doesn't...
  8. snowdenn

Bent Fret Questions

I have a fret that's bent on my uke. I don't know how it happened because it came to me that way. If you look at the pic, it's on the edge of the first fret. There's no sign of damage around it, on the fretboard or the fretboard binding, so I'm wondering if this is something that could have...
  9. snowdenn

WTB: Baritone (Larrivee, MP Cali, LoPrinzi)

Wondering if anyone has a Larrivee baritone that they're not really playing. Would consider an MP Cali or LoPrinzi, maybe a Covered Bridge or other baritone. Not really interested in anything vintage, or Ponos, or Kalas, or the like. I'm not really picky about the wood. A bit more picky about...
  10. snowdenn

Low G Nut Slot File

I have a couple re-entrant ukes that I'd like to switch to linear, and I have several different low G strings, though I don't know the exact gauge for some. I'm not a builder and don't have the tools to do even a simple set up. But since I'm not able to take my ukes to any luthiers, I'm...
  11. snowdenn

Rubbenstroth?

Maybe kind of a longshot, but anyone heard of this maker? I came across mention and videos of ukuleles made by a builder named Rubbenstroth, but I can't find a lot of information about them.
  12. snowdenn

Ranking the K brands by size

Sometimes I hear the opinion that a particular K brand is better than the others at making a particular size. So one excels at sopranos. Another at making concerts. And another makes better tenors. For example, I've heard before the opinion that Kanile'a makes better tenors. KoAloha shines with...
  13. snowdenn

Cutaway Aesthetics

A while back I thought about putting in an order for a soprano Oreo or Homestead from Bonanza. There were fewer options with the Homestead, since that was the point, but they included a cutaway option even for the soprano, which I thought about doing. I don't think I've come across many...
  14. snowdenn

some advice needed

There's a local uke shop that I really like and want to support, but have not bought any instruments from. It's a small mom and pop shop. A little while back, I considered purchasing a higher end ukulele from them, but I ended up buying from somewhere else. When I was trying to decide on which...
  15. snowdenn

Intonation Question

Whenever I hear about intonation issues from other people, it seems like the problem gets worse moving up the fretboard and is more/most pronounced at the 12th fret or so. But my own experience is that when there are intonation issues, it is worst nearest to the nut and gets better moving up...
  16. snowdenn

Miki Gakki?

This is kind of a long shot, I think, but has anybody heard of or dealt with a music store called Miki Gakki out in Osaka, Japan? I'm considering ordering a ukulele from them, but thought I'd see if anybody had any experiences to share. They're online at mikigakki.com and on Reverb as Miki...
  17. snowdenn

New Traditions

Has anybody had any experience with New Traditions ukuleles? I came across their website and saw that they had some very reasonably priced luthier-made ukuleles on sale. They seem to only have tenors left, but $275 and $450 shipped with cases for all solid instruments made in the States seems...
  18. snowdenn

Mango and Koa Combinations?

In my quest for the perfect ukulele (I know, I know), I've found mango to be one of my favorite tonewoods. The mango ukes I've played and seen are always all mango body affairs. I don't think I've come across mango in combination with other woods. This is in contrast to koa (my, uh, other...
  19. snowdenn

KoAloha vs Romero question

Any advice for choosing between KoAloha and Romero Creations tenors? Specifically, between the KTM-00 (koa) and the Replicas in spalted mango or koa. For the KoAloha, there's also a choice between the older and newer models with the thinner waist and shorter neck. Just wondering if anybody has...
  20. snowdenn

Ukulele vs Guitar Setup

How is ukulele setup different from guitar setup? I'm about to take my ukulele in to get setup by someone who is great with guitars, but it sounds like they're less experienced with ukuleles.