Search results

1. Matt Clara

Bending iron

I finally bought a fox bender; if I was starting over I'd be tempted by those Alibaba ones someone listed above. Making your own is a bit of a trial and error pain in the neck.
  2. Matt Clara

Bending iron

It matters because a halogen is smaller. Want to make tight bends in the waist or a cutaway? Good luck doing that around a pipe that will hold a 100 watt incandescent bulb.
  3. Matt Clara

Bending iron

Nonetheless, the halogens get hotter than the incandescent. "There's one more difference that affects the use of some halogens. This is because halogen bulbs burn very hot. Even hotter than traditional incandescents. So in the case of mini halogens and projection bulbs, you don't want to touch...
  4. Matt Clara

Bending iron

A 75 watt halogen will fit a smaller pipe and generate more heat per watt than a 100 watt incandescent. Don't be tempted by a 150 watt halogen. That's too much.
  5. Matt Clara

The elusive sharpening unicorn

The things I liked about it are it's a bit faster than a traditional sharpening method, and it claims it can help get the most out of an inexpensive chisel or plane, which is all of my chisels and planes! And to Brad, you're welcome--it's the first I've heard of it. I've been meaning to get a...
  6. Matt Clara

The elusive sharpening unicorn

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to. https://www.popularwoodworking.com/techniques/the-unicorn-sharpening-meathod/
  7. Matt Clara

Tinnitus scare

Remind the young folks to wear their hearing protection. I've had tinnitus since 2011. Saw a ton of concerts as a young man.
  8. Matt Clara

Hit a nail

Had to look it up: only available from Tough Saws in the UK "Supertuff Fastcut" blades. About the closest thing the US has got that I'm aware of is the woodslicer by Highland Woodworking.
  9. Matt Clara

Hit a nail

I did something similar the other day, but worse, forgot to lift a toggle clamp out of the way and ran it into a new table saw blade. Worse because it wasn't hidden there in the wood, it was right in front of me on the sled! Blade is still cutting alright, but need a new toggle clamp holds down.
  10. Matt Clara

How flammable is nitrocellulose lacquer?

(Better clean the spray booth!)
  11. Matt Clara

What's happening in your shed?

Did you ever turn an old mahogany table into ukes? I remember you talking about it and I thought it was a done deal. Looks like Mrs. Timbuck has proved the old adage once again, behind a great man stands a much more sensible woman.
  12. Matt Clara

Just finished up a cherry and spruce tenor with walnut bindings and head plate and Texas ebony fretboard and bridge. Oh, and gotoh tuners. I like them a lot, just not the cost! Two new ukuleles in the works. Osage orange concert and pistachio tenor.
  13. Matt Clara

Building a go bar deck.

I followed Bob's Pegasus guitars short pictorial on the subject and made up six of them with stuff from home depot last night. Total cost, $23, and I have enough springs left over for two more, just ran out of pvc, really. The Cork tips are a good tip, for sure. My go bar deck is the shelf...
  14. Matt Clara

Using CNC To Build Ukuleles - Good or Bad?

I use one to cut my saddles and my fretboards, and for what little inlay work I've done so far, too. Sure inlay is an art, most of the art is in the design, though. Anyone with the skill to cut small pieces accurately isn't necessarily going to be good at inlay. And using a cnc router isn't...
  15. Matt Clara

Random orbital sander

They list the black and decker as the best. It is not the best. I owned it, might still own it, haven't seen nor looked for it in years, though, because I bought the Ridgid further down the list. Much better ROS in the Rigid, my only complaint is the dust bag connection has gotten loose over...
  16. Matt Clara

Getting rid of light over spray

Thanks Brad. It came right out, started at 1200, 1500, 2000, then medium and fine polishing compounds, all with a light touch.
  17. Matt Clara

o·ver·spray /ˈōvərˌsprā/ noun excess paint or other liquid which spreads or blows beyond an area being sprayed. ;) Surely someone here has had to deal with this before?
  18. Matt Clara

They lasted 66 years, so they couldn't have been too crappy. ;)
  19. Matt Clara

I use StewMac's fret position calculator, and then sometimes cut them by hand after printing out a template, but more likely use a cnc to cut them.
  20. Matt Clara

Almost done with my current build, I decided I didn't like the finish on the peg head, so I loosely wrapped the uke in butcher's paper and resprayed the peg head. I find that on one side of the uke on the waist it's a little bit bumpy now from over spray. I plan on just polishing it out when I...