Search results

1. Pete Howlett

All Koa Baritone Uke - which for top and which for back?

TapTone is a red herring.... try getting a consistent stiffness to mass ratio.
  2. Pete Howlett

All Koa Baritone Uke - which for top and which for back?

Wise words Bob and Brad. As you and I know, working with figured woods involves more than a passing relationship with basic woodworking techniques and timber technology. BTW, the definitive research based ideas work for ukulele makers is the now not often quoted Left Brain Luthierie by David...
  3. Pete Howlett

Warped and twisted neck blank video

I know. It's totally counter intuitive.
  4. Pete Howlett

Warped and twisted neck blank video

Well done Ken. I am surprised though....
  5. Pete Howlett

2nd Strap Button

I know John.... first time in a long time I've doubted my judgement :(
  6. Pete Howlett

Damaged soprano pic

The maker's dilemma... don't be too hard on yourself Ken.
  7. Pete Howlett

Weird 1970's Northern JCD Uke

Time for John Coulter to step up - he's made one of these...
  8. Pete Howlett

2nd Strap Button

Thanks. I have my pins made for me so they are scaled for a uke...
  9. Pete Howlett

2nd Strap Button

It's so long since I made a standard acoustic instrument I have no idea where to put the 2nd strap button. Any ideas? I kinda like that one that goes in the side of the heel but doesn't it get in the way of those third and fourth inversions?
  10. Pete Howlett

Gotoh Stealth Tuners

Very interesting reading. Always wondered about these. Thanks.
  11. Pete Howlett

Figured koa

That is a miserable pile of unusable lumber...
  12. Pete Howlett

Figured koa

I'd hang onto those 'wood futures'. They may come in handy when your next medical bill comes through the door...
  13. Pete Howlett

Figured koa

If you don't have stash by now of figured koa and unless you have a true fund you can forget about accessing let alone buying figured koa ukulele wood. It just will not be available...
  14. Pete Howlett

Figured koa

I have it on good, first hand authority from a trusted niche supplier that the days of highly figured koa for ukulele are numbered. Suppliers have always favoured high figured wood for guitar sets and ukulele sets often result from either 'cabbage' or billets that just don't quite make guitar...
  15. Pete Howlett

Suppliers Other Than StewMac ?

Those kits are a great jump start for budding luthiers. I bought some wheat why first sold them but just couldn't get round to assembling them. I believe John Coulter did the honours... I am not sure but I seem to remember that Ken started with Stewmac but I may be totally wrong...
  16. Pete Howlett

CNC routing a mechanical process?

If you hand draw your pieces to be cut by a machine, when you vectorise them you can retain the vibrancy of the original line variation in the art work. The precision for me comes in the 'fit' which I can achieve as a nice 'push fit'. Necessary because I use the dimensionally stable dalbergia...
  17. Pete Howlett

Tinnitus scare

A could of years ago suffered a large hearing loss. After about 4 months I went to doctor. She couldn't see my ear drum and after a bit of gentle prodding around excavated from my ear an 'ear bud' from an iPhone.... never go to bed with ear bud type headphones is all I can say!
  18. Pete Howlett

For sale £1295 - rare speculative 4 string tenor

Built by me alongside a student as a parallel build with a no-pore fill 'Hawaiian Style' nitro finish this piece is made from matched but not consecutive koa slices.... so all are book matched but are 'orphans'. That make for a AA side and back and a AAA front. Has under saddle pickup and...
  19. Pete Howlett

Epoxy pore fill, and overcoming patchy finish when sanded back.

Sprayed onto a two coat, silicone thickened refill. It was like spraying on glass... all those years faffing about with paste fillers. Feels like I lost a life.
  20. Pete Howlett

Epoxy pore fill, and overcoming patchy finish when sanded back.

3rd pore fill today. I'll send a link if I make a video....