Search results

1. John Colter

Some jazz on a Friday afternoon - 'I remember you'

Great! I really enjoyed that. (y)
  2. John Colter

Glue mess new koaloha opio

"a bit of extra glue just ensures you that ENOUGH glue was used" That is true - but only if the extra glue was squeezed out from the joint. In the first picture it looks as though it was smeared on afterwards, to disguise a dry-looking joint.
  3. John Colter

Definitely not acceptable - at any price!
  4. John Colter

That alone should not be detrimental to the instrument's performance or structural integrity, but if the maker considers that to be an acceptable standard, I would not want to buy it.
  5. John Colter

Dukes of Hazzard Ukulele

That's a relief, Rob! Best wishes, John
  6. John Colter

Dukes of Hazzard Ukulele

Those fret spacings look very approximate. I hope that's photographic distortion.
  7. John Colter

Myth, magic, truth...ukulele "opening up"

I doubt that this question will ever be settled scientifically, so as far as I'm concerned it is a myth. However, it is a very pleasing, comforting and harmless myth, provided you don't spend megabucks on 'special' vibration treatments and suchlike.
  8. John Colter

NUD: I made an ukulele!

The Sporkulule looks like a fine first attempt. Congratulations!
  9. John Colter

I hope nobody ever buys an instrument with the expectation that it will sound better after it has been "played in". If it doesn't meet your requirements when first you hear it, then buy one that does. Then if it improves with age (or if you do) - that's a bonus.
  10. John Colter

I've got used to feeling disappointed with the sound of a newly completed ukulele, when fitting strings for the first time. The next day, it sounds like a completely different instrument. This is something quite apart from the problem of newly stretched strings settling down. The instrument...
  11. John Colter

Neutral Strings for Soprano/Concert ?

"Sounds like a ukulele" - can't go wrong there. I'd buy those strings!(y)
  12. John Colter

"Alex of SUS stated - colours;sweeten;darken;warm;honky;clear;wooly;brighten" This illustrates the difficulty of giving a verbal description of sound. It is all extremely subjective. Alex is trying to sell ukuleles and strings. Of course he will attempt to impart his wisdom in order to...
  13. John Colter

Aquila 'Nylguts' have a bad rep? That's news to me. I reckon they are excellent strings - but some ukes respond to them better than others. I use either Aquilas or Worths. I find if one doesn't suit a uke, the other will.
  14. John Colter

Insomnia

Caffeine is a very strong, psychoactive drug and it affects some people a lot more than others. It is worth going caffeine-free for a week or so, to see if it makes much difference. But beware, suddenly stopping caffeine can make you feel really ill for a day or so. Better to taper it off...
  15. John Colter

I once had Living Water, but a course of penicillin cured it.
  16. John Colter

A ukulele cannot just sound like itself - without strings. Uke + strings is a necessary combination. Both bring something to produce the sound you hear. The player also contributes, massively. The thing about Nylguts and cheap ukes is that cheap ukes very often wear, poor cheap strings. Fitting...
  17. John Colter

You know you're old when...

Ha! I can remember when the milkman used a horse and cart! You had to go out with your milk jug and he would fill it up using a galvanized steel measuring cup, on a long stem, which he dipped into a large container of milk. That was back in the 1940s.
  18. John Colter

You know you're old when...

Old age is better than the alternative.
  19. John Colter

What's happening in your shed?

That's going to look gorgeous when Mrs T has worked her magic! (y)