Search results

1. farmerboy

concert bass uke

I'm thinking about converting a concert uke into a bass uke using ashbory strings. Do you think this could work? I'm a bit worried about the additional tension on the neck, but otherwise don't really see what could go wrong. Am I mad?
  2. farmerboy

Help if you can...?

Hi, my school ukulele group has just been sent confirmation of their audition date for Britian's Got Tallent. I'm one of the teachers who leads them along with spookfoote. I know this is a bit cheeky, but if there's anyone in NW UK who has a u-bass I could borrow for this one-off I promise...
  3. farmerboy

Ukelin

Any ideas about this? It looks crazy to me. The only similarity I can see to a uke is vaguely in the shape and size. Any one played one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1920s-Oscar-Schmidt-Ukelin-Ukelele-Violin-Psaltery-Harp-/250699829329?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item3a5edfd051
  4. farmerboy

Other Acoustic Instruments Group

There is now a group for other random acoustic instruments. So far we're only four of us, but with time... The reasoning is simply that everyone gets ideas for their uke playing from elsewhere and most of us on here play other things too, so why not mix my favourite forum with all of my...
  5. farmerboy

Bach Cello Suite - John King

Does anyone have John King's version tabbed out? I've got most of it down, but have got into difficulties at about 1:30 and it's driving me a little crazy. Thanks
  6. farmerboy

Cupcake Recipe

Best one I've found so far - very light and soft. Yummy! Farmerboy's Cupcake Recipe 1 1/8 cups SR flour – works with both white and wholemeal 2/3 cup sugar 1 ½ tsp baking soda ¼ tsp salt ¼ cup margarine ½ cup milk ½ tsp vanilla 1 lg egg Whisk it all together until there are no lumps, spoon...
  7. farmerboy

low G string

I just got a low G string for my uke and everything sounds warmer, but alien. Any suggestions for tunes that sound good on the uke in this tuning? Particularly looking for melodies. Thanks
  8. farmerboy

Ukulele Grades

I've done a search and can't see this already posted, but please put me right if it has. GrumpyOldMan put me on to Victoria Examinations yesterday, who are offering graded exams in ukulele. Although it doesn't really appeal to me directly, I am a school teacher and know of 60 uke players in...
  9. farmerboy

Hello from Lancaster, UK

Hi - I play concert uke and set up a school uke orchestra with another new member about two years ago. I've also started playing it for gigs in local pubs with a Balkan band - sounds great as an alternative to bouzouki on one or two of the songs we do. Loving the ukulele orchestra - lots of...