Search results

1. Tonya

Ukulele Hall of Fame

Oh, goodness--talk about memories! UHOFM sponsored the first ukulele festival/expo I ever attended, just two months after getting my first ukulele. It was August 2003 and it was held at the Rhode Island School of Design. The focus of the organization, at least at that time, was on the history...
  2. Tonya

Loprinzi Owners Club

Put me in the LoPrinzi club, please! My first ukulele, one I was with monogomously for almost 10 years, was a LoPrinzi spruce/mahogany with red accents/skunk line. It was made by Augie, when Donna was just getting "officially" involved at their shop. It was a surprise birthday gift from my...
  3. Tonya

Ukulele Vanity Plates

This is from back in 2005. My Miata has the UKALADY plates and I spotted Ken in our little town back then with UKULELE plates so I had to get a photo of the two of us. Sadly, Ken has passed on and my Miata, the plates and the LoPrinzi soprano I'm holding in my arms all burned up in the...
  4. Tonya

Yes, ukulele swim trunks...maybe you *need* them?

Okay, I’m just back from a visit to Hawai’i Island (more in a bit about great ukulele thing that happened to me there) but unpacking I realized hubby needed new bathing trunks. I went online to LandsEnd.com and was surprised to find ukulele swim trunks—really! And they’re on sale at half...
  5. Tonya

Alaska Air with ukulele (recent, 2017+ experiences, please)

I've flown with a tenor ukulele as a personal item on Southwest and Hawaiian and even United. I'll be flying on Alaska Air this next week and am curious as to any recent experiences with a tenor on this specific airline; this is trans-Pacific, not inter-island. Any tips? I've already upgraded...
  6. Tonya

Prayers for Paradise

Thank you, all, for your concern. Yes, I am safe, my husband is safe--and our kitty, Kona, was rescued and evacuated from the place before it burned down. Yes, we were/are out of town on a planned trip to the ukulele's birth islands--we heard about the fire while in a very secluded part of...
  7. Tonya

Outdoor Ukulele Tenor (low G)--how does it work for you???

I'm seriously considering an Outdoor Ukulele, tenor model, strung low G. It'd be great for road trips and outdoor activities. I've listened to the sound samples and read reviews, but the return policy leaves me feeling a little vulnerable (20% restocking fee). At this point I'm looking for...
  8. Tonya

Just bought a Kala UBass for hubby...he's never played bass...now what?

Husband doesn't know it but he'll be getting a Kala UBass (EBY-FS) for Father's Day (don't worry, he doesn't *ever* read stuff here so the surprise is safe with us). Frankly, I'm not even sure he'll want it--but I have a gut feeling that he may...and it was a very good deal, so there's that...
  9. Tonya

Case with backpack straps: Fusion or Reunion Blues Continental? Or ???

Yeah, I "get" the hard case concept for travel--and that's what I always do. In this situation, however, I'll be doing lots of walking back and forth down/up Kalakaua and I really want my hands free. Hmmm...the ideal would be to travel by air with the Oahu hard case then just use a...
  10. Tonya

Case with backpack straps: Fusion or Reunion Blues Continental? Or ???

I have a Reunion Blues Continental case I'd like to use on an upcoming trip to Hawai'i--but I find the bag really bulky and I'm wondering if I'd like the Fusion case more and whether they might offer similar levels of protection. Frankly, I usually carry my Oahu hard case when traveling because...
  11. Tonya

Wanna play a Moore Bettah Uke? I'll share mine at Reno Fest (April 6-9)

As I've written before, Mom always said it's better to share...so I'll be sharing my Moore Bettah tenor ukulele at next week's Reno Uke Fest. I'll be there all three days and would be happy to let anyone play my "palm" MBU (the red hibiscus model is staying at home). Sometimes folks say they...
  12. Tonya

Uke ensemble--four part harmonies in playing and singing; pop, classical, jazz

Okay, I've never been over in "these parts" of the UU forum--mainly because I never felt "good enough" to share anything I did on my own. But now that I'm playing with an ukulele ensemble, I'll be brave and share (and yes, I really *am* in the group, back row, center) what we're doing. These...
  13. Tonya

RIP Lyle Ritz

Lyle was fun to talk with, too. What a wry sense of humor! Here's a pix of him (with me) at the Portland Uke Fest in June 2008 when he played and taught a great workshop. That same festival I had the chance to get to spend some serious time with another ukulele legend who's now gone: John King...
  14. Tonya

Kumu, Sailor Brand, Leolani, Loprinzi etc.?

I have three ukuleles that are keepers--just three ;) These include two Moore Bettah tenors and my LoPrinzi soprano. If you're looking at a LoPrinzi, I can testify that mine (built in 2003) is a real winner in tone, playability and quality build. I switched to fluorocarbons on the LoPrinzi and...
  15. Tonya

Wanna play a Moore Bettah Uke? I'll share mine at Palm Springs Uke Fest (Feb. 23-25)

As I've written before, Mom always said it's better to share...so I'll be sharing my Moore Bettah tenor ukulele at this week's Palm Springs Uke Fest. I'll be there all three days and would be happy to let anyone play my "palm" MBU (the red hibiscus model is staying at home). Sometimes folks...
  16. Tonya

You *can* do this: Pushing myself to get better at ukulele

Since September I've been a part of the Luongo Ukulele Experience (LUE), an "adult" ensemble directed by Peter Luongo (of the well-known and well-traveled Langley Ukulele Ensemble youth group). If you've ever taken a uke workshop from Peter you know he's intense--and one of the best instructors...
  17. Tonya

How do you break the news to your spouse that you've bought another uke?

Knitting a little something for the "new arrival" has always been a classic way to let hubby know that another is on the way... Get those knitting needles out... :)
  18. Tonya

Your story: how ukulele found you?

Oooh, since you asked (and since I finally spotted this thread!): The picture here shows the first time I picked up an ukulele—it was at the WorldMark Kihei Resort on Maui. David Nitta, all around “best guy” there, was offering a free ukulele lesson to guests one morning. I’d always been...
  19. Tonya

Make that a double! The serendipitous path to a second Moore Bettah Ukulele...

Not many people are lucky enough to have one Moore Bettah Ukulele. But (and don’t hold it against me) now I have two! And, best of all, my second is an ukulele as delightful and seemingly “made just for me” as Number One. And the acquisition was just as serendipitous. You can read (pix, too!)...