Search results

1. tad

Ukulele Wedding Headdress/Veil Thing...

What do you say? I like ukes as much as the next person, but it seems a bit much to me. Source.
  2. tad

How much for a new nut?

Knowing that everyone is going to charge differently, etc... I have a Mele Kalia concert that I bought off of ebay a year or so ago. It's nothing fancy, but it's solid wood. It sounds okay. except that I think the last owner fiddled with the nut with a file or something. It looks like it's been...
  3. tad

There needs to be a ukulele version of this:

Who here has the improv chops to make this happen?
  4. tad

Tell Me What Ukulele Underground Means to You!!!

Hey there, UU folks! I'm in grad school, working on a PhD in History, and my primary focus is on media history-- I do work that deals with stuff like comic strips, movies, and the internet. This semester, I'm taking a "Digital Storytelling" course, where we work on making short documentaries...
  5. tad

Cliff Edwards-- "Ukulele Ike"

Okay, not exactly the typical video for around here, but I'm too timid (and too lousy a player) to record a video of my playing... I'm in the History PhD program at George Mason University-- and part of what makes our program unique is that you can specialize in digital history. I work on...
  6. tad

Hey there...

...I'm not technically new, but I've been lurking for so long, I'm sure a lot of you don't remember me, and there's plenty of you I haven't met. Hey-- I'm Tad. I'm a PhD student in History at George Mason University. I'm a lousy uke player and that's fine by me. I play 'cause I love playing...
  7. tad

Tombo Ukulet?

I just saw a really interesting looking electric uke on ebay... Anyone have any knowledge of or experience with one of these? From what little I've been able to find, it's apparently a Japanese manufacturer that now makes primarily harmonicas, that produced this electric steel-string uke back...
  8. tad

Friction Tuners for N00Bz...

Okay, I've been wanting a sopranino for a while now, and my student loan check came in, so I went and got myself an Ohana sopranino. I figure it's the cheapest solid-wood uke you can buy, anyway, at 150 with case and MGM love. But there's a problem. It's got friction tuners. And I still haven't...
  9. tad

Forbid people from posting...

...new threads to the "Ukulele Marketplace" section until they have a certain base number of posts elsewhere-- even if it's just 10 or 15. There's been a recent infusion of accounts created just to sell ukes-- the most recent one is one that's already available on ebay. I think it'd be smart to...
  10. tad

Need money-- kind of desperate.

No longer selling posted items. I sucked up my pride and took a loan from my sister. Now I don't have to sell my babies!
  11. tad

How long...

...after you buy an instrument on ebay (from someone other than the scary-quick MGM) before you start getting frustrated at their not shipping it? I'm going on eleven days since purchase, and it doesn't seem to have shipped. Am I being impatient, or is that getting to the point of "taking a...
  12. tad

Ukepedia

This is kinda cool-- check it out: The Ukepedia is a fun project to collect together videos and audio recordings of people singing Wikipedia articles while accompanied by a ukelele. Why? Why not? How did it come about? Louisa Twittered about her ear ache. John sang the Twitter while...
  13. tad

Instruments other than uke...

So I was on ebay the other night, and I'd done the math, and I had a little bit of cash... Which of course means I was looking at ukes. But then I sort of clicked around, and I decided that it's time to expand a bit. I wanted to adopt another unpopular/neglected/unusual/not a guitar instrument...
  14. tad

Ukulele in Kawaii Not!

15. tad

Doctor Who fans?

I always thought it looked stupid as a kid, but a friend finally sat me down and forced me to watch Doctor Who a few weeks ago, and now I'm hooked. Any other Dr. Who fans here?
  16. tad

Low G Tuning-- I See What You Did, There!

Okay, I like re-entrant tuning. I'm a strummer, mostly, and I like the distinctive sound of it, how it's easily identifiable, unique. But I finally just got around to trading out the stock strings on my tenor eleuke with some Aquila Low-G's, with wound C & G strings... It's like a whole other...
  17. tad

Aquila Strings Color Code?

I'm restringing my uke, and I ran into a problem. These are Aquilas, and it's the first time I've used 'em, and... Well, the strings aren't labeled, they just have different colored stickers on each plastic sleeve. orange green blue white. Which one's which? I guess I could tell from...
  18. tad

This is the 1000th thread

In the "Uke Talk" board. That's an awesome milestone, guys! Keep up the talk, and the good feelings! _________________________ EDIT: It's the thousandth THREAD in the board. Can't change thread titles, unfortunately. It was post #17660, though... and that's a round number, too.
  19. tad

Sweet-looking uke on ebay...

Not mine, but it's pretty, it's koa, and it's less than sixty bucks... http://cgi.ebay.com/Hawaiian-Super-Curly-Koa-Ukulele-Coconut-Uke-Made-in-HI_W0QQitemZ190235842817QQihZ009QQcategoryZ16224QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  20. tad

UAS... I've got a problem...

So I just won this on ebay. I think it's a Stromberg-Voisinet banjo uke... the inlay work in the back looks almost exactly like this S-V: (Found here, if you're curious.) Only some dope decided to cover up that pretty, pretty wood grain with silver paint. Some day I'll turn it into a project...