Search results

1. bborzell

Dupont Uke - conclusion of VAT saga...

We were in Paris in September 2015. Took the opportunity to buy a new uke; posted pictures here at the time. As is typical, we paid the Value Added Tax that is applied to Europeans and filled out the VAT return form at Dupont. Followed that with a scan of the form at the airport prior to...
  2. bborzell

NUD - Maurise Dupont D Hole Tenor Uke

I don't need a new Uke, but my wife and I are in Paris for a few more days before doing a loop through the south of France and back up through Belgium. So we made our way to Dupont's showroom and I checked out an unbound mahogany D hole that happrned to be strung with a high G string. There is...
  3. bborzell

All these tenor sax related posts...

If you think that the recent uptick in guitar related posts is a cause for concern, then the fact that I am currently into my 2nd tenor sax lesson should send the entire uke community into a tailspin. I know that my cat who typically sits at my feet rather blissfully when I play my uke has...
  4. bborzell

Blackbird Clara continues on its way to parts unknown...

Actually, to Santa Monica. Should be there on Wednesday after leaving my place having left a very positive impression around here. First things first; I will not buy one. But, the reason for that decision is simply the fact that my hands are too big to form chords beyond the 9th or tenth fret...
  5. bborzell

MP Ukuleles - Semi Hollow Body Electric Uke

If anyone has been wondering what Mike Pereira has been up to, take a look/listen to this. http://www.youtube.com/embed/kZ-oLlRNsTM His Facebook page has construction phase shots. Beautiful instrument.
  6. bborzell

My next uke?

As uncertain as future uke purchases can be, I am of the opinion that this little Tony Graziano beauty is currently a front runner for the next uke I might buy. I toyed with buying a Selmer type mandolin for several weeks a couple of years ago. A couple of trips to the dealer a week had me...
  7. bborzell

Do these guys look familiar?

Captured tonight at the Strum Shop in Roseville, CA. BTW, it was a great show.
  8. bborzell

What is it about uke basses make them ukuleles?

Nothing, in my mind. I guess one might think that the scale length is one factor, but uke scale lengths are all over the map so that does't seem to make sense. Tuning is certainly not the basis for the uke bass bassness. They all seem to be strung with the typical EADG setup. There seems to...
  9. bborzell

Mike Pereira "MP Ukuleles" Tenor revisited

It has been a bit over a year since I bought this uke. Since that time, I have never thought of it as anything other than a keeper. Given that the first photos I posted were from my phone and there have recently been some posts asking about Mike's work, I thought I might stick the MP out in...
  10. bborzell

Martin 620 tenor + Aquila wound G

After playing several Kinnard ukes with Worth CT/Aquila wound G strings at Reno last week, I came away thinking that lighter tenor builds such as the Kinnards and my MP can really benefit from strings that can activate the thinner woods used in these ukes. So, I ordered some Worth CTs and...
  11. bborzell

Romero Creations Grand Tenor

Anybody own, seen, heard or aware of one? http://www.theukulelesite.com/romero-creations-solid-koa-grand-tenor-package.html
  12. bborzell

The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence.

I took the Reno Uke Fest as an opportunity to compare what is out there to my MP Custom tenor. There were a few empty tables on Friday so I am not sure who showed up later on Friday or during the weekend. But, I did pick up every tenor that was available and, of all the ukes I played, the...
  13. bborzell

Played a Tyde Tenor today

Last year at the Reno Ukefest, I stopped by a table displaying a few basic but nicely made ukes that were apparently made by two guys working in a furniture building shop near Lake Tahoe. I was interested enough to go back to their table a few times Today, I played one of their tenors (at The...
  14. bborzell

How is almost any finely made custom uke like a Fiat Abarth 500?

Well, other than the obvious, they are both totally unnecessary, but can turn heads and ears quicker than most things on the planet. This particular comparison occurred to me the other day in an entirely kinesthetic kind of way. I know how I respond to seeing a beautifully made uke that I...
  15. bborzell

UU Practice Sessions

UU + Practice Sessions If you have not looked at your email lately, do it now. These Aldrine Guerrero sessions are seriously well thought out and presented. The best and most long lasting learning methods are making incremental and successive movements toward an overall goal and AG has done...
  16. bborzell

The single most important factor that keeps me picking up a ukulele

I have a lot of different stringed instruments hanging (literally) around the house. Acoustic guitars, electric guitars, acoustic bass, electric bass, acoustic mandolins, two solid body electric mandolins, lap steels of various construction/configuration and four ukuleles. Over the past few...
  17. bborzell

I'm done experimenting with strings (really, this time)

D'addario, Ph.D., Worths of various hues, Fremont, Aquilas, Martins, Southcoast, wound low Gs, unwound low Gs, high Gs, thin strings, fat ones, rough texture, slick as snot texture, red strings, strings that had to have been used to land a marlin in another life; I been trying out lots of...
  18. bborzell

Tenor Grand Concert specs

I just noticed that the new Eastman ukes will include a "Tenor Grand Concert" size. I have heard that the term Grand Concert is applied to a uke with a shorter than tenor but longer than concert scale, but I can't seem to find any more precise meaurements for scale length or body size. The...
  19. bborzell

Anybody waiting for the new Pono version of the Koolau CE series electric?

When I heard that the Pono would be in "beta" by June, I got real interested. Then the Godin hit the dealers. Both have chambered solid bodies and are likely to have very smooth and balanced tone. I have a Godin steel string Mandolin version of the Multiuke which is a real keeper, but the...
  20. bborzell

Will this string thing never end?

Been running Living Water strings on both my Pono ATDC and my MP mango with cedar top. Wonderful balance and warm tone from both instruments. The Pono seems a bit warmer while the MP is a bit more articulate. Then I read about the new Southcoast ML-SW sets. I had used a set of Southcoast...
Top Bottom