Search results

1. revdj

Song Help Request With A Flair (From Bedknobs and Broomsticks)

So much of my career success, and other success, can be summarized in that song. I'd love to be able to play it!
  2. revdj

F#: 3121 or 0121?

Different sources say different things - any insight for me?
  3. revdj

What are your 10 favorite songs to play? (you can post fewer, but not more than 10)

Not the songs you play best. Not the songs others most like to hear. The ones you love to play most. If you aren't sure, ask your fingers. They know. Me: 10) Monster Mash, Bobby Pickett 9) King of the Road, Roger Miller 8) Monkey and the Engineer, Grateful Dead 7) Neon Pegasus, Parry Gripp...
  4. revdj

Theme song to Bakshi Mighty Mouse?

Okay - an internet search (and I'm good!) did not help. I'm looking for the chords to the theme song of Bakshi's version of Mighty Mouse in the late 80s. I've been working on my singing, and this would be SO MUCH FUN to belt! Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYpBoYa4pno There...
  5. revdj

Holiday Idea!

You are shopping already, right? I am, too. And a lot of it online. So here's my idea/challenge: While shopping, buy an inexpensive starter ukulele. I'm thinking of a Makala Dolphin - but pick your fave. But don't spend a lot. NOW: You have one year. Teach a friend to play. It...
  6. revdj

Is the Kala Soprano Pineapple compatible with regular soprano cases?

Wound up (long story) with a Kala Pineapple. Love it. But I want to protect it from dings when I have it in my car. So I went to etsy, and found some nice cases... and saw other cases in other places. The thing is, though, it is not the standard shape. And when I tried to put it in my...
  7. revdj

Down to two: Thoughts on Kala KA-SMLC vs kala KA-SMHC ?

Thank you all for replying to my previous posts on my "intermediate" ukulele. So here we are : I can't try them out myself. Any thoughts?
  8. revdj

What is the difference (besides looks) between a $200 and a $600 uke?

Let me give my question some context. I have my $40 dolphin. I think it sounds good. This is my definition of "good" When I'm at a friends house, and they take out their guitars and keyboards, I can take out my ukulele and play with them, and I'm not embarrassed - they enjoy me playing with...
  9. revdj

Online class vs. Live class with a guitarist - your thoughts?

I have been teaching myself for three months, and had one lesson when I was traveling, from a Uke player. In my town, and larger area, there is no ukulele player giving lessons. The local music stores do give lessons, but the teachers are clearly guitarists (from their resumes). The other...
  10. revdj

Most trustworthy review website?

I've been playing my dolphin for 3 months now, and having so much fun - it looks like this hobby will stay. I tried a few high-end ukes at a music store, and decided that Xmas is coming, and my big 5 0 after that... so there we are. "Play what sounds good to you" doesn't work - because I don't...
  11. revdj

I changed my own strings for the first time - success! Why and how!

Okay, so I started playing a couple of months ago, with a Malaka Dolphin. Fun, fun, fun! Some people said, "Oh! Get good strings ASAP!" Others were like "Oh! Don't worry about it." I decided not to get new strings for these reasons 1) I didn't know if I would like playing ukulele 2) I...
  12. revdj

To Bb and back :(

I need to play C - Bb - F - G (relatively quickly) For most of my transition problems, the solution is "practice" and I get that. But here I think I'm actually doing something wrong. My problem is that regardless of where my left fingers want to go, I have to move where the uke is in my left...
  13. revdj

Uke videos by Renei Yarrow

Lately, I've been enjoying videos posted by Renei Yarrow (youtube user mimism0m) She does a lot of old standards, along with some new stuff. She always looks like she's having such a good time, and she sings really well, adapting her style for the voice material. I hope that when I get good...
  14. revdj

D7?

Some charts say D7 is this: 2223 - where the 3 is on the A But I've also seen it like this: 2020 It is frustrating, because I've been practicing it the latter way. Is 2020 a D7? Or is it something else?
  15. revdj

Day 17: Life changing

I'm pushing 50 - hard - and nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I'm in Ann Arbor for a few weeks, and my friend invited me to a monthly music thingie. "Drums will be provided! Bring your instrument!" So I brought my ukulele, thinking for the first time I could play with other...
  16. revdj

Towards the End of Day 3

Family stuff and packing going on - I may not get another chance to post today! C G F D D7 G7 memorized Working on: Am Dm Gm Em Twinkle Twinkle: As good as it is going to get until I can strum. Working on doing it without looking at music or uke. Lion Sleeps Tonight (G C G D over and over)...
  17. revdj

End of Day 2

I promise I won't be doing this forever, but I would like to share my first few days. I practiced the songs I learned yesterday, and the chords, and I got noticeably better! I also diddled around with various methods of doing 12-bar blues, but at this point, all of them are a bit tricky for...
  18. revdj

End of Day 1

My Uke arrived today. I had work to do, and I didn't get a lot done. On and off over the too-many years, I've played instruments, but I've never had the experience I've had today. I didn't want to put the thing down. I just love the sound it makes. And while I don't play any better than...
  19. revdj

How long before a new uke stays in tune?

I got my first time Uke today, and am starting with it. It is going out of tune every few minutes. (It is a Makala Dolphin). I read in this forum that this is to be expected, and it will get better soon. How soon is "soon"? I just want to know when to start thinking "something is wrong"
Top Bottom