Search results

1. Rakelele

Kunde Brand Ukuleles

Came across this relatively new brand of ukuleles, "Kunde Brand". Apparently, they are based in Spain, and I would assume that like other brands, they order their instruments from Asia, possibly even from different factories in order to fit different price segments. I spot similarities to Kala...
  2. Rakelele

Instead of NAMM: Share Ukulele Related News for 2021

The annual winter show of the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) has been canceled this year because of COVID-19. Nevertheless, manufacturers will probably be releasing all sorts of new models, ideas and prototypes in the forthcoming few weeks. Instead of our annual NAMM thread, I...
  3. Rakelele

Anyone familiar with Caravelle Kitchen Ukulele?

I stumbled across this French builder on Instagram. His name is Matthieu Tueret, he calls his shop "Caravelle Kitchen", and he builds ukes with all kinds unique designs: https://caravelle-kitchen.com/
  4. Rakelele

Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

This year's NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) show in Anaheim will be held from January 16 - 19 in the Anaheim Convention Center. This is the biggest occasion for musical instrument makers to present their plans and ideas for new models they want to introduce. As in other years, I...
  5. Rakelele

Carbon Fiber Ukulele from "Legacy Guitar Works"?

Anyone familiar with the "Legacy Guitar Works" company from Canada? Apparently, they are building Carbon fiber instruments: http://sydenhamcurrent.ca/2019/03/14/wesley-twins-launch-legacy-guitar-works-in-wallaceburg/ Right now, they have a tenor ukulele listed on eBay...
  6. Rakelele

NUD for Nephew: Kmise Solid Spruce Top Concert

My nephew is turning eight soon and has developed some interest in my ukulele playing. I was going to give him one of my Pono's that I consider to be on par with some of the much more expensive instruments I have. However, turns out that he has some very specific requests about the looks: Going...
  7. Rakelele

Ukulele News from NAMM 2019

Today starts the National Association of Music Merchants' Winter Show (NAMM), so let's start collecting what everybody finds out about new ukulele models and ukulele related stuff that will be new for 2019. So if you get to visit NAMM, please post your impressions, pictures or videos in this...
  8. Rakelele

New Concert and Soprano Model from Romero Creations

Spoiler Alert! Pepe Romero has posted a picture on Instagram with the new models of his import line which he will be showing at the NAMM show next week: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsoZNFoAqu4/ Here is what I spot, from left to right: a full size guitar a Baritone guilele with regular figure...
  9. Rakelele

Limited Edition Romero Creations Replica Tenor Now Available

Among the new models that Pepe Romero has presented in his import line is a "Replica" of his own custom tenors. Depending on the wood options, they usually sell for $799 to $999. But now, there is a new "limited edition" model available with a little less bling: no Abalone purfling, a relatively...
  10. Rakelele

Finally a Pineapple from Kanilea

Kanile'a has just announced via Facebook and Instagram that their 2019 Platinum model will be a pineapple tenor! So far, they have only revealed the slotted headstock with stealth tuners and a unique pineapple logo...
  11. Rakelele

For Sale: Pono MGTP Tenor Pineapple, must be picked up in Switzerland

Up for sale is a Pono MGTP Mango Pineapple Tenor Ukulele. In fact, it is the very first of this model that was ever made, and precisely the one demonstrated by Corey Fujimoto from "Hawaii Music Supply" in the video below. I bought it new from HMS back in 2014. The uke is in perfect like-new...
  12. Rakelele

Free Hardshell Baritone Case, must be picked up in Switzerland

I have a spare "Uke Crazy" canvas covered hardshell case that I am willing to give away for free. Baritone size, fitting any regular baritone ukulele model, but also well-suited for the Kanilea/Islander GL6 or the Cordoba Mini. The case is in perfect like-new condition, only used once for...
  13. Rakelele

Ukulele from HEX

From what I understand, HEX is a company based in Korea that makes guitars and now ukuleles as well. I just came across a sound sample that I thought sounded really nice - not just the Uke, but the player and the song, "Dancing Queen" from ABBA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDzSmU_iAPU
  14. Rakelele

New and unusual Guilele models from Romero Creations

Lately, Pepe Romero has been building a couple of different Guilele models, one being based on his Tiny Tenor model and the other one of Baritone size with a 20" scale. These were made by himself in his custom line, but they will be released in his more affordable import line from Vietnam...
  15. Rakelele

Any news from Ohana new models?

At the NAMM show in January, Ohana has presented some promising new models. While some of them have since hit the market (various Sopranino and Sopranissimo models), I have not heard anything about others that were of interest to me and others here (see my "News from NAMM" thread). So, has...
  16. Rakelele

Comparative Review: KoAloha Opio KTO-G6 vs. Kanilea Islander GL6 Guitalele

My experience with ukes helped me realize that full-sized guitars are just to big for me. It’s so much easier for me to play six strings with a smaller body and a shorter scale, so I've started to experiment with the Guilele, Guitalele, Guitarlele, or Kiku type of instrument, basically guitars...
  17. Rakelele

What strings are on the KoAloha D-VI and Opio KTO-G6 Guitalele?

I think KoAloha is using Worth Clear strings on most or all of their ukulele models, but what string set is on their KoAloha D-VI and Opio KTO-G6 Guitalele models? Looks like the three strings from the bottom might be the same clear Fluorocarbon trebles, but there are three wound strings for the...
  18. Rakelele

Pono Solid Body Mini Bass with Steel Strings?

Looks like Pono is prototyping a Mini Bass, based on their thinbody electric BE models. I hope they will make it to the market. Glad to see that it is not just another copy of the Kala U-Bass, but their very own approach with steel strings:
  19. Rakelele

HEX Mini Guitar

I just came across another brand making a small guitar about the size of a baritone that might qualify as a Guitalele/Guilele/Kiku along the lines of the Cordoba Mini or the Kanilea/Islander GL6. This company called HEX from Korea has a model called the Bumblebee. According to their website...
  20. Rakelele

Review: Pono UL Terz Guitar (or Steel String Guitalele)

This took just as long a custom made instrument to be built, and as a matter of fact, I got to specify exactly what I wanted: it's Pono's UL six string model, but the first one with a slotted headstock, a sunburst cedar top, and a herringbone rosette. Regular guitars have always felt too big...
Top Bottom