Search results

1. VegasGeorge

The Invisible Man

You know, sometimes I just feel like I'm invisible. Right now I'm on vacation with my family, wife, daughter, son-in law, and two young grandchildren. We are spending a week on the Florida Gulf Coast. We have a very nice rental unit in Rosemary Beach. This morning the whole lot of them went...
  2. VegasGeorge

UAS - No More!

Well, it finally happened. I beat the UAS addiction. I won't be buying any more Ukuleles. Probably not ever. In fact, I just donated 50 plus of my Ukes, together with the two Uke Tree Stands that I had up in my music room. I kept my Kamakas, and the other super expensive instruments. But...
  3. VegasGeorge

New Uke from Portugal

Wife and I got back from a week in Portugal late Sunday. The trip home took 23 1/2 hours, including layovers. We started off in Porto, Portugal’s 2nd largest city. It reminds me San Francisco, although much older. Before we went, I researched online and found Porto Guitarra, a little guitar...
  4. VegasGeorge

Please Pray for Paco!

Susan and I came home from a week in Portugal on Sunday. We picked up our Standard Poodles from Camp Bow Wow in Spicewood, TX, where they had been boarded. Paco, our three year old male, was so sick he could hardly stand up. They had no explaination, and acted as if nothing was wrong. I...
  5. VegasGeorge

Simplest Chord Revisited - Am7

Am7, what could be simpler than that? All open strings, just strum. We’ll, I was at my first Austin Ukulele Society meeting last Thursday, and we were working on a tune that had the progression, Am7 - G, in it. The leader had arranged the chording, and specified that the Am7 should be played...
  6. VegasGeorge

Been absent for a while

Two or three circumstances conspired recently that took me away from the forum. One, I started playing my brass instruments again, and that diverted my interest away from Uke. Two, my beloved Bulldog, Daisy, died, and I got a Standard Poodle puppy, Sofi. She is a handful, and keeps me endlessly...
  7. VegasGeorge

Sofi

Those who keep their finger on the pulse of this forum may have noticed my absence over the last week. We took a 7 day car trip, starting a week ago Tuesday, and drove to Visalia, CA, and back. We went to pick up a Standard Poodle puppy from the same breeder from whom we got my wife's dog...
  8. VegasGeorge

To Those Who Admired Daisy - RIP Sweet Dog

This is meant for those who admired my Bulldog, Daisy, who was pictured in my prior posts. She was my constant companion for more than eleven years. She had been just fine all day, until around 2:00 PM, when she suddenly bloated. The poor thing looked like a basketball with four legs. Being...
  9. VegasGeorge

Solo Horn

I just made a great purchase on eBay. As many here may know, my background is as a brass player. Originally French Horn, and for many years now, British Tenor Horn. Americans call it an Alto. Anyway, my horns are all pitched in Eb. I was perusing Eb instruments the other day when I came...
  10. VegasGeorge

Men's Boxers

I just thought I'd pass on this information. I just ordered a bunch of Stacy Adams Boxers (underwear) to replace what I already have. This is the second time I've ordered them. The first time was more than ten years ago, and I have worn them every day since. Finally, the elastic waistbands...
  11. VegasGeorge

Melodies for Lead Sheets

Am I the only one here who pulls up a lead sheet (lyrics and chords) and sits there struggling to remember the melody? Even in my personalized collection of favorites, that happens more often than I'd like. On a couple of particularly troublesome tunes, I've used pencil to scrawl in the first...
  12. VegasGeorge

Home Bar

Neither my wife nor I drink. So, we don't normally have any alcohol in the house. But here in our new home, we thought we'd keep a small variety for guests. That's when we realized that we're so "out of it" that we don't know what people are drinking these days. I thought perhaps those of...
  13. VegasGeorge

Mens Fashion - What to Wear?

OK, I know. At my age (76) who the hell cares? But vanity goes by many names, and I suppose mine is one of them. When I was working, I wore suits and white shirts with neckties, and wingtip shoes. When I retired, I had 13 suits hanging in my closet. Now I have 0. For the last umpty ump...
  14. VegasGeorge

Finally - My New Music Room is Finished!

It took 15 months to build our new home in Briarcliff, Texas. Now, it seems to have been worth the wait. Almost all of my instruments and other music stuff was in long term storage. I just today got the last few items handled in my music room, and was able to dust and vacuum. I am very...
  15. VegasGeorge

Graphics

My son-in-law is a graphic artist. He runs his own business from home. For Christmas, I told him I wanted a graphic for my new Arai motorcycle helmet. This is what he made for me. It represents my primary interests, playing the Ukulele, riding my motorcycle, and settling deeper into the...
  16. VegasGeorge

Want to Buy Ohana CK-65D

I'd like to add one of the Ohana CK-65D Ukes to my collection. If you have one you'd like to sell, please let me know. :)
  17. VegasGeorge

Buying Ukes

This thread was inspired by the discussion in "At Peace with my Ukes," thank you Wiggy! So, with something like 100 Ukes under my belt, so to speak, the question occurred to me, "How do I go about buying them?" There are hundreds, if not thousands, of different Ukes out there. And, if you...
  18. VegasGeorge

NUD Romero Creations

On Christmas morning I greedily tore open Santa's gift to me, a Romero C-MG-20025. I'm not sure if that's a model or serial number. Anyway, it's a very interesting Uke. It's lovely to look at, of course. The spalted Mango is stunning. And it sounds and plays like a champ. It has a very...
  19. VegasGeorge

Not Since that Nigerian Prince Wrote to Me ....

Yesterday I received the funniest, purportedly serious, email since that Nigerian Prince wrote to me years ago about his "locked up" trust fund. This time the email was from "Antonio Guterres, General Secretary United Nations." Would you believe it, I, VegasGeorge, am entitled to receive my...
  20. VegasGeorge

Experienced Sucker Fooled Again!

You'd think by now I'd have learned. But no, not me. I wanted to order something nice for Christmas, and my wife had given me the go ahead to buy another Ukulele. I spent an hour or so looking online, and considering various options. I settled on a nice looking Romero Spalted Mango Concert...
Top Bottom